Which snake visited my place

Anthony5

I got slightly surprised as I almost stepped on a small snake.

It was about 50cm long, brown/greenish body with a white belly, had a yellow collar around the neck and between the collar and the body it was red colored for maybe 5 centimeters.

Any idea which snake this was.

Hey Anthony post a picture. Lots of snakes change colors when going from juvenile to adult. Very difficult to tell with your description. And you will get more responses. But if that fails do a snake search on any of the search engines.

Red Necked Keelback? Mildy venomous. Thanks for not killing it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833655@N04/5545297434

Who said I didn't kill it ?

I don't have any knowledge about snakes, and I have a kid around the house, so I don't take any risks. Period.

This by the way the second snake in a week time I caught in the same area, near the pool. The previous one was bigger and bright green, and that one I was able to catch in a pool scooper and release at the other side of the perimeter.

I know there is what I think is a monitor lizard, but it can be a large gecko as well, housing somewhere near the waterfall, I just saw it a few minutes ago, again climbing up the waterfall.It is light beige in color.

It isn't big yet maybe 30cm or about.

Do you think the the snakes come for the lizard? If so how to get rid of it,

By the way, the Flickr only shows me a page asking to sign up, but no picture of a snake.

Edited by Anthony5

I don't have any knowledge about snakes, and I have a kid around the house, so I don't take any risks. Period.

This by the way the second snake in a week time I caught in the same area, near the pool. The previous one was bigger and bright green, and that one I was able to catch in a pool scooper and release at the other side of the perimeter.

I know there is what I think is a monitor lizard, but it can be a large gecko as well, housing somewhere near the waterfall, I just saw it a few minutes ago, again climbing up the waterfall.It is light beige in color.

By the way, the Flickr only shows me a page asking to sign up, but no picture of a snake.

Ok look at this https://www.google.co.th/search?q=red+necked+keelback&biw=1339&bih=665&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fcSSVKzVGdK-uAT51YKIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Get yourself a pair of welding gloves and pick up the monitor and release it in the wild. Just throe a laundry basket over snakes and let them go.

Monitors are protected in Thailand along with a lot of snakes.

Ok look at this https://www.google.co.th/search?q=red+necked+keelback&biw=1339&bih=665&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fcSSVKzVGdK-uAT51YKIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Get yourself a pair of welding gloves and pick up the monitor and release it in the wild. Just throe a laundry basket over snakes and let them go.

Monitors are protected in Thailand along with a lot of snakes.

I think it was indeed a red necked keelback.

Sorry but on my property no snakes are protected, if I can catch them easily I will do, but I don't take risks with something I don't know, so fat chance that they wont survive.

Sorry but on my property no snakes are protected, if I can catch them easily I will do, but I don't take risks with something I don't know, so fat chance that they wont survive.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Snakes are usually attracted by rats and frogs. If you keep your grass short doubt you will have any snakes.

Rats are attracted to dog food and the stupid Thai habit of throwing rice out for birds.

• Like 1

I'm sorry you feel that way. Snakes are usually attracted by rats and frogs. If you keep your grass short doubt you will have any snakes.

Rats are attracted to dog food and the stupid Thai habit of throwing rice out for birds.

I don't have rats, maybe the occasional frog, and my lawn is mown every week.

Are snakes attracted to large geckos or lizards?

Anthony's a hero....and the reason 50% of the worlds wildlife has disappeared in last 40/50 years

I'm not a Hero, I saw a hero a few years ago, he had a recess in his under arm where he was bitten by a Malayan viper.

He was lucky he made it to hospital in time, otherwise he wouldn't been able to tell his story, but they could not prevent from a part of his arm flesh to rot away.

You don't have rats because you have snakes. Snakes love rats not so much lizards. Rat urine will kill you almost as quick as the venom of most snakes.

You don't have rats because you have snakes. Snakes love rats not so much lizards. Rat urine will kill you almost as quick as the venom of most snakes.

I don't have rats because i have never food laying around. I tend not to drink rat urine.

I don't have rats because i have never food laying around. I tend not to drink rat urine.

You don't have to drink it. It can be passed on in numerous ways. Try living with nature not against it. BTW which part of Thailand are you in?

You don't have to drink it. It can be passed on in numerous ways. Try living with nature not against it. BTW which part of Thailand are you in?

Which part of the forum this post is in?smile.png

Rats can and will pee anywhere. If you'd rather have yourself and family at risk of Weil's disease (among others) then you'd best leave the snakes be....

Keelbacks can be feisty buggers but most species are non venomous and will prefer to issue a foul odour from it's cloaca (Ar*e) than waste energy biting.

Rednecks however can give a serious bite though are rear fanged so would literally have to really have a good grip on you to cause a problem.

Fish, small amphibians, and small rodents are it's preferred prey.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the monitor. They are probably more of a danger to snakes than you are....

Which part of the forum this post is in?smile.png

If you're in Pattaya PM me and I will catch all your creepy crawlies and let them go in a safe place.

They may well be attracted by the water in your pool, all snakes can swim.

When I take my Dad's dog for a walk in Oklahoma in the US, the edge of the lake is infested with various varieties with quite a few going into the water when they sense something that they think may be after them.

Just a guess.

Edited by lou62

Keelbacks are one on the most prevelant snakes up in this area . we get them all the time in Bang Saray.

Don't kill them they are very benificial & will never harm your kid your dog or your family. I stepped on a larger one while mowing the lawn & all he wanted to do is get away from me. They take care of the rodents & frogs & like said there not into lizards at all. There are also some small green garden snakes that look like a tiny viper called a mock viper They are pretty docile. If you do a search you can find a snake guide. I had a link but forgot to back up my bookmarks to help you out. You sure you have a monitor lizard of was it small like a tokay? Really rare to see a monitor lizard 11 years we have seen 2 & they were huge at least as big as our golden retriever & 3 times the weight judging by the girth. They are prety docile & really don't care to mess with humans unless you provoke it. I thought the same & killed 2 keelbacks till I got with the snake program & found out they are harmless. I regret killing them & while they taste like chicken I would rather eat a chicken anyday. They kept our 4& 1/2 Rai clear of field mice -Maybe some rats & a bunch of mornful toads. They are totaly harmless.

• Like 1

My avatar shows a real snake. Gabon viper. Nasty deadly bite, 5cm fangs, but thankfully placid as the day is long.

Thankfully the Gaboon is only found in Africa too as they're virtually invisible in leaf litter, not only do they have the longest fangs but have the highest venom yield per bite of all species. Bites are rare due to their docility usually occurring when some poor sod steps on one though bites are rarely fatal, just highly painful.

My Uncle worked in Uganda where it was colloquially called a 'shit yourself viper' by expats, as one of the main symptoms of a bit was to lose control of such functions...

• Like 1

There is a documented ( google is your friend ) case in America where this woman kept one as a pet. From what they can work out she let it out of its enclosure and it went under the sofa, as she was scrambling around trying to get it, zap, got her. Result : Dead. Another little known fact is that they have poisonous/venomous skin so if you are handling them with an open wound on your hands you will get a certain amount of that evil in your system, not enough to kill you but you will feel ill.