Countries promise not to house anti-Thai government fugitives

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Countries promise not to house anti-Thai government fugitives

BANGKOK: -- A number of countries have promised Thailand not to tolerate anti-Thai monarchy and anti-Thai government movements on their soil.

Information Department Director General Sek Wannamethee, spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that the promise was expressed by Cambodia and Laos as well as many western countries.

As Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered Thailand’s concerned authorities to coordinate action against people offending the royal institution with other countries, Sek said Foreign Ministry forwarded the message to Thai embassies abroad and foreign embassies in Thailand.

Sek said said Thailand was undergoing comprehensive reform and concerned people living in other countries could send their opinions through Thai embassies to the National Reform Council.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Countries-promise-not-to-house-anti-Thai-governmen-30250128.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-18

I expect most countries said we will comply with the expedition treaty we have with you Thailand...and I expect most countries have no such treaty with Thailand. Meet the requirements of the expedition treaty, which are usually strict requirements to meet, and of course countries will send a person back. And most expedition treaties have the catchall phrase that if the expedition request appears politically motivated or the law violated in the home country is not a violation in the country the person is staying it, then the expedition request is denied.

The Thai govt has just twisted the response from other countries (if there really was any request and then a response) to make it sound like the countries will not house fugitives and quickly return any such fugitives. Gosh, I don't know of one expedition request submitted by the Thai govt which has been approved by another country except for a few LoSo's for crimes such as murder; it's just I don't know of any approved requests which have a political stink to them.

Already a thread on this.

I happily await the names of these western nations willing to deport a Thai national (or any national actually) back to Thailand to face a court martial relating to LM laws.

Once the western nations have been named I want an official from that country to authenticate that they will indeed do what the government here has announced today,

I am also longingly looking out of my window waiting for a pig to fly past it.

"Sek said said Thailand was undergoing comprehensive reform and concerned people living in other countries could send their opinions through Thai embassies to the National Reform Council."

I am sure that Prayut is so respected and feared in western countries that they are willing to give up their traditions of freedom of speech and the press, and make sure everyone's opinion is censored before it is allowed to go public. He also should be reminded that for someone to be accused and convicted of defamation, that person must be proven to have intentionally lied about the person he is criticizing. "He hurt my feelings" does not hold up in courts outside of Thailand.

"A number of countries..."

I do believe that zero is considered a number.whistling.gif

North Korea
  • Like 1

" OK, let's make a claim that some western countries will co-operate but no names so it can't be denied. The media won't ask questions about who they are or challenge the claim, THEY KNOW BETTER !

Oh and tell the ' Thai Researchers ' I want a glowing end of the year popularity poll and don't forget to highlight appreciation for all the gifts handed out. "

Govt seeks help over fugitives
The Nation

Authorities call for cooperation from nations where Thais run anti-govt activities

BANGKOK: -- The government will try to convince other countries not to allow Thai fugitives to engage in anti-government activities, particularly those who commit lese majeste, Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said yesterday.

He said the government would also attempt to bring those who did back to Thailand to face justice.

The remark came after Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha instructed relevant state agencies to urgently make other countries understand the lese majeste law and prevent fugitives from engaging in political activities.

Exiled Thammasat University historian Somsak Jeamteerasakul, who has 130,000 Facebook followers and is often critical of the monarchy, was singled out by Prayut earlier this week. Somsak, who refused to report himself to the junta after the coup, is believed to be in exile in the United States.

Sek said Cambodia and Laos had assured Thailand that they would not allow their countries to become a base for political attacks against the government by expatriates. He said some people wanted by the authorities may not be in the country they were believed to be residing in, and they used social media to attack the government.

He said he understood that Western nations value human rights and democracy but the ministry hoped to be able to convince them to consider long-term relations with Thailand.

'It may not always work'

Sek acknowledged that no extradition of a wanted person could be made if the laws of Thailand and the relevant country did not recognise the same criminal offence and it was unlikely the country would extradite anyone facing a political charge.

In a related development, Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya said that he had met with related security agencies in relation to pursuing cases against people who violated the lese majeste law including those behind the rumour which affected the stock market this week.

Paiboon said the ministry would ask the Office of the Attorney-General to seek the repatriation of criminals but acknowledged that it would not be easy.

Nevertheless, he said measures were needed to try and stop the spreading of such content on social media.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-seeks-help-over-fugitives-30250195.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-19