Last Week At Stevie Wonder Concert

Stevie Wonder is playing a gig in Bangkok. . . .

He's just finished playing his Seventies classic Sir Duke. The crowd is

still going wild when a young Thai woman at the front says, "Stevie

Wonder, you play a jazz chord, you play a jazz chord!"

So Stevie plays an F# minor on his keyboard and goes off on a jazz riff.

The Thai lady says, "No Stevie Wonder, you play a jazz chord!" So Stevie

tries an A and off he goes with the band on this amazing improvised moment.

When he's finished, the lady says, "No Stevie, a jazz chord, a jazz chord!"

By now old Stevie is a little confused. "What do you mean, play a jazz

chord? I've just done 2 for you..?" he says to the fan.

"But it bess song of Stevie Wonder! It so famout!" comes the reply.

"Ok, well how does it go then?", enquires the blind musical genius. The

young lady clears her throat and starts to sing:

Wait for it.....

"A jazz chord..............to say, I luff you..."

p.s. let's see if the moderators who allow racist comments against Chinese to stay up, will take this post down?!

p.s. let's see if the moderators who allow racist comments against Chinese to stay up, will take this post down?!

If you have a complaint about any post then please use the "report this post" button. BUY FYI, this joke firstly isn't actually rascist & secondly isn't actually funny :o

If you have a complaint about any post then please use the "report this post" button. BUY FYI, this joke firstly isn't actually rascist & secondly isn't actually funny :D

I did complain directly to the moderator about the use of the word 'Chinaman' but apparently it is fine, as that moderator checked and their next door neighbour didn't find it offensive, therefore all Chinese Thais, myself included, do not have reason to be offended. Therefore, thanks for the offer of using the reply button, but since it seems that what I consider to be racist is not necessarily shared by others, I will refrain from using it :D I must just be thin skinned. :D

I stopped posting for a while, but then since I have nothing better to do other than actual work, have started drivelling away on various pointless subjects again as I did before :-)

And now I see there is a joke section...will refer future unfunnies there :o

Well I thought it was funny and certainly not racist. I'm Irish and we have more jokes aimed at us than most. As long as it's not derogatory and is meant in a funny way I have no problems. I realise this may be subjective, hence your problem.

Guest endure
I did complain directly to the moderator about the use of the word 'Chinaman'

Can you tell me why you find the word 'Chinaman' offensive? Genuine question - don't mean to offend.

Can you tell me why you find the word 'Chinaman' offensive? Genuine question - don't mean to offend.

Agree with you about "Chinaman" being an innocent term, but a few years ago in Alberta, Canada, the had to rename a mountain west of Calgary in the Rockies called "Chinaman's Peak", because the Chinese community in Calgary was kicking up a fuss about it being derogatory, racist etc.

If that's all they have to complain about, life must be pretty good...

In my opinion as a word. Everyone knows what it means. However it's not a word I would choose to use. It's a word I imagine an uneducated, nineteenth century sailor to use. Chinese means the same thing, can be used for both sexes and children,

Though 'Chinaman' may sound as normal as saying 'Englishman', it is considered derogatory because of what it used to imply and mean.

When I hear or read the word 'Chinaman', images of old racist cartoons in the newspapers come up in my mind. The stereotypical Chinaman image was of a skeleton-like man with high cheekbones, buck teeth and slit eyes.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "a Chinaman's chance"? It means to have a very slim chance at something.

Wikipedia states:

One explanation of the phrase is "the California Gold Rush 1849. The news of the gold rush spread in China very slowly, and when the Chinese prospectors arrived, all rich mines were already taken, and the Chinese had to suffice only those lands which had already been exploited or which were rejected by others. Hence "Chinaman's Chance" for attempting to find gold where no one else would bother to try; attempting to succeed in a situation where the odds are almost impossible."

So as you can see, the word is racist because of the history behind it and how it was used. There is nothing at all shameful about being a man from China.

Edited by Lacoste

In my opinion as a word. Everyone knows what it means. However it's not a word I would choose to use. It's a word I imagine an uneducated, nineteenth century sailor to use. Chinese means the same thing, can be used for both sexes and children,

Though 'Chinaman' may sound as normal as saying 'Englishman', it is considered derogatory because of what it used to imply and mean.

When I hear or read the word 'Chinaman', images of old racist cartoons in the newspapers come up in my mind. The stereotypical Chinaman image was of a skeleton-like man with high cheekbones, buck teeth and slit eyes.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "a Chinaman's chance"? It means to have a very slim chance at something.

Wikipedia states:

One explanation of the phrase is "the California Gold Rush 1849. The news of the gold rush spread in China very slowly, and when the Chinese prospectors arrived, all rich mines were already taken, and the Chinese had to suffice only those lands which had already been exploited or which were rejected by others. Hence "Chinaman's Chance" for attempting to find gold where no one else would bother to try; attempting to succeed in a situation where the odds are almost impossible."

So as you can see, the word is racist because of the history behind it and how it was used. There is nothing at all shameful about being a man from China.

Political Correctness gone mad again I fear...

Political Correctness gone mad again I fear...

I got the cr*p beaten out of me every day I went to school when I was 6 by a gang of 10 year old white kids.

It continued until my dad actually started walking me to school, and ended for good when as a result we moved house.

The beatings and name calling were pretty relentless, back then 'chinaman' 'chink' 'gook' and 'slant eyes' were the phrases used most often; I guess those kids' parents hadn't taught them any other words to use, so they used these ones. In NZ it would definitely be considered offensive. In other countries, perhaps not. So that's why I don't like any 4 of those words, and why I complained about it :-) although to no avail, as not everyone shares the same opinions for what is and isn't offensive. Fair enough.

In order to improve the mood, here is another joke:

British teacher Henry recently moved to Buriram, and was keen to teach the locals a few british traditions. Sadly, his attempts to teach some of the villagers to enjoy jellied eel, elevenses and drinking warm pi,er, ale all failed, and so he was confused as to how to teach them the english game of cricket.

He thought his best shot would be to teach the children of his Mor 3 class.

'Does any one know the game of cricket?' he said.

'I like cricket,' said young Somchai, a little shyly.

'Really? Did you study in england before,' asked the now curious teacher.

'no, my family, we all like to play cricket' replied Somchai.

'Ah.....great, so do you have the bat and ball and wickets then?' Henry queried.

'er....we have just cup for playing cricket' said a somewhat confused Somchai.

'So how do you play then?'

wait for it.....

'We tie their feelers together, and put them in the cup to see who will win cricket'

ba boom chhhh....