Swedish youth jumps to death

Lite Beer

It seems like many men from western countries feel very alone in BKK. More then they would feel alone in let's say Paris, Tokio or Rio - even if they were guests there. Why is that? Maybe because Thais are even more xenophoic? Or because white men think they could easily have a nice girlfriend in Bangkok, but it turns out that a thai "girlfriend" is not the same as a french, swedish or german girlfriend? To be honest, I speak fluent thai, but I feel often lost in BKK. Better move to smaller cities (HuaHin, Rayong, KhonKaen....). You can meet nice people there ore maybe find some help before you jump off the balcony.

"It seems like many men from western countries feel very alone in BKK. More then they would feel alone in let's say Paris, Tokio or Rio - even if they were guests there. Why is that? Maybe because Thais are even more xenophoic?"

This seems totally illogical. He wanted to stay here and not return home. In what way would that imply he was subject to any kind of xenophobia from Thais? Apparently he was enjoying himself and didn't want to give up whatever he thought he found here.

Then you first say he would have felt less lonely in major cities like Tokyo or Paris or Rio, but suggest he would have been better off in a small place like Rayong.

We'll never know for certain why he found life unbearable, but if the story in the O/P is to be believed, it wasn't Thailand or Bangkok that drove him to suicide but the prospect of being forced to leave.

Indeed sad that he thought death preferable to life with his family back in Sweden, but it seems too many posters find any report of a death to be an opportunity to go off on speculative rants that don't relate to the information we have been presented with.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

How can the parents of a 24 year old force him to anything??

Hope he enjoyed his short time of freedom!!

What a sad waste of a young life.

24 years? What was his work...?

He was only a youth a period between childhood and adult. They may have got his age wrong as 24 is not a youth. He may not have been working as in many places it is ilegal to employ a youth.

As with other posts very sad to hear of another person meeting a grisly end in Thailand. Even sadder that this seems to happen to someone on a daily basis whether through murder,accidental death or "suicide". Thailand has more casualties than most modern wars and still it goes on. I can understand why his parents weren't happy for him to stay there. I expect many parents of young expats and travellers will feel the same knowing what goes on in Thailand.

Some people will think this is suspicious but really there are a lot of people lose it in Thailand and depression or drugs are not uncommon.

Very sad 24 and his life in front of him.

No offense, but why even add drugs to the idea. There's a lot of depression. A friend of mine in Berlin killed himself on his 27th birthday a few years ago, a week after I'd moved from Berlin to Bangkok. He wasn't on drugs or anything, and no major crisis anyone knew of it. He just did it, and had clearly planned it all for a while. It's just sad, and not about Bangkok in particular.

Some people will think this is suspicious but really there are a lot of people lose it in Thailand and depression or drugs are not uncommon.

Ive never know anyone on drugs to commit suicide, overdose yes.

First time I came to Thailand my parents did the same because I had no plan to stay and support myself. So I went back and finished my master's and PhD. By that time I realized working in USA and investing would be the best way to be able to live not only in Thailand but any country. I'm glad my parents cared about my future and my desire to be a world traveller.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very Sad Indeed!

More shocking in that he apparently had family that cared about him and wanted to help him.

• Like 2

It seems as if I'm the only one to wonder about the Brit.

He "found" him wandering around Sukhamvit and took him in to wait for the parents? Days ago?

Maybe he is a samaritan....but what was a Brit doing reading the Swedish forums to know the guy was "missing".

Something is not quite right, I think. The police should not just think because there was no evidence of a fight that the Brit is not involved.

Sorry but if I thought my children were in trouble (even though they're 27 and 22), caught up in some kind of shit or anything there is nothing that would stop me from getting on the first plane to help them. But there again, I love my kids

Well done CSILA ! Not!

The young chap probably wanted to get away from what seems to be very controlling parents....

How do you come to the conclusion his parents seemed to be "controlling"? You could have used the word "loving". Would you not travel to the end of the Earth if you thought your kid was in trouble somehow? Think what's in the press about the murders, drugs and so on in Thailand... Then you kid goes missing for a while and they try to find him. That's controlling? Maybe he'd run out of money, had nowhere to live... Man, I'd have been on a same day flight if that was my kid.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Parents probably refused to continue to support his lifestyle here and he did not want to go back to the lifestyle at home. RIP

agreed and properly never fancied going back to work. RIP

24 years? What was his work...?

Does it really matter what his work was? A young man has died for whatever reason.Such a waste of life.Rip.

IT IS SUSPICIOUS he was in Bangkok not Samui

I would like to hear the parents explanation, he was an adult not a kid

It seems like many men from western countries feel very alone in BKK. More then they would feel alone in let's say Paris, Tokio or Rio - even if they were guests there. Why is that? Maybe because Thais are even more xenophoic? Or because white men think they could easily have a nice girlfriend in Bangkok, but it turns out that a thai "girlfriend" is not the same as a french, swedish or german girlfriend? To be honest, I speak fluent thai, but I feel often lost in BKK. Better move to smaller cities (HuaHin, Rayong, KhonKaen....). You can meet nice people there ore maybe find some help before you jump off the balcony.

Wise words... Tourist (not only Thailand) areas are places where you can easy be trapped in a dream world as longstayer... and for some fellas waking up ends in a disaster...

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

It seems as if I'm the only one to wonder about the Brit.

He "found" him wandering around Sukhamvit and took him in to wait for the parents? Days ago?

Maybe he is a samaritan....but what was a Brit doing reading the Swedish forums to know the guy was "missing".

Something is not quite right, I think. The police should not just think because there was no evidence of a fight that the Brit is not involved.

I think you'll find the story was not just Swedish news, CSI were running it. From what I have read the Brit should be applauded for trying to do the right thing. He will have to live with this as well and from what I understand, I would like this guy in my corner if I was in trouble.

• Like 2

I think the same can be said for all big cities nowadays... lots of people, locals as well as foreigners/tourists, feel lost in these concrete jungles. It's difficult to meet people with common interests, make friends and feel at home. Then add the language barrier not to mention the cultural differences... I don't believe the Thais are "even more xenophobic".

24 is way to young to make an exit. Every day is precious, enjoy it. RIP

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

I didn,t know Sweden was THAT bad :( Guess their fame as the world capital for free love has long expired. Very sad, whichever way you look at it, though IMHO a reaction totally over the top !

These days Sweden is politically correct to the extreme and everything is forbidden. It is to an extent that the other scandinavian countries do not know whether to laugh or cry.