NO 30 day stamp in Mae Sai after extension

I was wrongly advised on this forum as well as well as by a travel agent that I would get 30 days in Mae Sai

But it was not the case. It's true you can go there one time but not after an extension at immigration.

You cannot come into the country get 30 at the airport or border then get 30 at immigration and then expect to get another 30 at Mae Sai. This is absolute. I don't blame anyone for the wrong advise because I don't think anyone knows for sure what's going on even immigration lawyers have wrong information on their websites.

Im from the U.S. and I'm 60 years old and they did nnot even look at my previous stamps and visa they immediately rejected because of the extension. They were polite but adamant and I spoke to the supervisor as well. I enjoyed being in Mmae sai for a few hours very cool crisp weather up there and fortunately I went a week early so I have time to make another plan.

Sorry you had a problem.

Things seem to change on a regular basis at border crossings, We get a report of one person not having a problem and the next one does.

It also depends on the information provided. Posters quite often have a habit of omitting important information.

• Like 2

Sorry you had a problem.

Things seem to change on a regular basis at border crossings, We get a report of one person not having a problem and the next one does.

No problem I had a good time in Mae Sai if you're right most of the time it's about all one could hope for these days..I appreciate your help anyway!

Sorry you had a problem.

It also depends on the information provided. Posters quite often have a habit of omitting important information.
Not this time..

Sorry you had a problem.

Not this time..

Good.

Sorry you had a problem.

Not this time..

Good.

Just realised you could read my post wrong. I did not mean to imply you were incomplete with your information. If you read it that way, sorry, that was not what I meant.

• Like 1

Thank you for providing the info (American, 60, previous visa exempts not looked at).

This behaviour, namely in-out at land border crossings has been warned about for several months. I am not surprised at all. You would be best to get a tourist visa from Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Thank you for the report.

Thank you for providing the info (American, 60, previous visa exempts not looked at).

This behaviour, namely in-out at land border crossings has been warned about for several months. I am not surprised at all. You would be best to get a tourist visa from Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Thank you for the report.

I think the main issue here was that the OP already received a 30 day extension.

Sorry you had a problem.

... or generalizing their misunderstood situation to everyone. Quite often terms such as visas, extensions of stay, visa exempt entries, visas on arrival, etc are used incorrectly and posters reach the baseless conclusion that immigrations officers are being arbitrary or confused rather than themselves.

Not saying that applies in this case. It does seem that unusual and inconsistent rules are sometimes applied at land borders, but there certainly have been many "reports" of problems with immigrations that just reveal the poster is clueless.

• Like 2

Sorry you had a problem.

... or generalizing their misunderstood situation to everyone. Quite often terms such as visas, extensions of stay, visa exempt entries, visas on arrival, etc are used incorrectly and posters reach the baseless conclusion that immigrations officers are being arbitrary or confused rather than themselves.

Not saying that applies in this case. It does seem that unusual and inconsistent rules are sometimes applied at land borders, but there certainly have been many "reports" of problems with immigrations that just reveal the poster is clueless.

Hi

I realise that the OP had spent some time in mae sai and my query isn't really related but does anyone know if the VIP system is still working for day trips without affecting ones visa.

thanks

OP - devaram ... if you want to go in and out of Thailand - spending time mostly in - over a years time ... at age 50 or older a person is eligible for a Multi- Entry Non immigrant "O' Visa --- good for one year with a series of 90 day permissions of stay by exiting Thailand and re-entering...

But a Multi-Entry 'O' Visa for you has to be obtained at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

Or you can get one at a Royal Thai Honorary Consul General Office. I have the contact information for the Honorary Consul General offices in Honolulu, Hawaii, Portland Oregon and Dallas, Texas... There are others. The Fee is $200.00 There are no other requirements except you may be asked to show proof that you have enough money to travel the region and go in and out of Thailand for one year - enough to support yourself in your travels..

If you want to come back to Thailand and stay a long time -- actually up to 15 months of 90 days sequential stays -- then a round trip to Honolulu and back to Bangkok is not terribly expensive.

Edited by JDGRUEN

I too was pushed at Mae Sai about two weeks ago. I finished my Non-B early (turned in work permit and paid 1,900baht for, THE MOST YOU CAN GET, 7 day extension. I chanced it because my place is in the North, but to no avail. The angry Capt. said, "You fly out!" No extensions, period. Luckily, I made it to the airport with a 2 day overstay without a problem. Immigration didn't charge me for it. That being said, I will Never, ever teach in Thailand on a Non-B again. Just thought I'd share.

Signed,

Happy to be back in the states for the holidays.

I often wonder why people don't get a visa if they are planning to stay somewhere for more than a month, instead skirting around getting extensions going over border crossings etc etc hoping it will all work out

There are many reasons why people don't get a visa in advance. In my case, I am a contract engineer in the USA. I literally never know when my contracts end. I am "employed at will" and can be released at any time. Sometimes I get a one week notice. On some assignments, the end notice has been a few days. When my contract work is finished I typically jet out right away to Thailand. One of the attractions of Thailand to me started with the ease of access and the fact I did not have to get any visa in advance. I can just get the visa exempt on arrival. A match made in heaven. On three of my trips of have made a border run and extended another 30 days. I usually pick up another work assignment within a month or two so a simple visa on arrival has been all I needed and only once did I stay slightly more than two months where a tourist visa acquired in advance would have been nice. The current new allowance to buy the 30 day extension without having to take a day and travel out and back in is great. So, in addition to the quickness of the start of my vacation, getting a tourist visa in advance is not trivial. First they expect you to buy the ticket and provide that information. Second you have to either bring the paperwork in person to an embassy or consulate or mail it in. I am never comfortable mailing my passport around. Third, there is at least a week in mail turn around time where I would just be spending money in a city just waiting for the mail to return. Where instead I could literally already be on vacation.

OP - devaram ... if you want to go in and out of Thailand - spending time mostly in - over a years time ... at age 50 or older a person is eligible for a Multi- Entry Non immigrant "O' Visa --- good for one year with a series of 90 day permissions of stay by exiting Thailand and re-entering...

But a Multi-Entry 'O' Visa for you has to be obtained at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

Or you can get one at a Royal Thai Honorary Consul General Office. I have the contact information for the Honorary Consul General offices in Honolulu, Hawaii, Portland Oregon and Dallas, Texas... There are others. The Fee is $200.00 There are no other requirements except you may be asked to show proof that you have enough money to travel the region and go in and out of Thailand for one year - enough to support yourself in your travels..

If you want to come back to Thailand and stay a long time -- actually up to 15 months of 90 days sequential stays -- then a round trip to Honolulu and back to Bangkok is not terribly expensive.

Thats interesting news...

Im from the U.S. and I'm 60 years old and they did nnot even look at my previous stamps and visa they immediately rejected because of the extension. They were polite but adamant and I spoke to the supervisor as well. I enjoyed being in Mmae sai for a few hours very cool crisp weather up there and fortunately I went a week early so I have time to make another plan.

What do you mean you went a "week early so I have time to make another plan"

Did they not give you any days and just allowed your extension to continue despite your exiting Thailand?