Retired in LOS. Why did you choose to live where you do?

owenm

I'm making my big move in only a few months with my O-A visa. Been backwards and forwards to Thailand since the late 80s, at least 15 times. Cashed up with my 800K going in a Thai bank account plus living costs and ready to make the move from Aus. Age 56yo and single.

Chiang Mai is currently top of my list, lots to do, but 1000+ km to a beach. Lots of accommodation choices, reasonably priced. A large Expat community and club. Very bad air pollution for 6-8 weeks a year due to burning off of rice fields and land and rubbish clearing. 60 min flying to BKK, and cheap.

Pattaya I'd think that I'd squander my savings in no time on beer, beer bars and women?? Or does life change when you've settled there for a while?

Bangkok, always something to do, BTS skytrain and MRT underground, taxis everywhere, everything more expensive. Too many temptations to spend your $$$ or Bt too fast!!

Phuket, away from Patong, living in Phuket Town, or a quieter Karon beach are maybe??

Isaan, or going south?? My Ex-wife is from Korat area. Ok if in a relationship, but not for a single bloke. Be bored sh..less in no time!

How does one choose on arriving in Thailand, where do I want to spend my future years in retirement?? Rental, monthly budget approx Bt50K roughly per month. A good comfortable relaxing lifestyle?

Now I know if you have a nice Thai GF or wife, you may follow them back to their family village or town which could be upcountry, rural or semi rural.

Save on rent, but contribute to help out with the family. So budgeting, probably the same, maybe.

What is your satisfaction rating of where you have chosen to live in LOS and why??

I would really be interested to know. Are you reallyhappy and content where you are currently based, or are you looking at a future move elsewhere? And if so, why and where to?

Well, I'm the head cheerleader for retiring in Chiang Mai, but it really is a good place to start your retirement. It's easy to get settled here. Many activities for retirees. No need to spend your days perched on a bar stool. Lots of schools and tutors so you can immerse yourself in learning the language and then you'll be better equipped to go out and really explore Thailand.

You can pick up new hobbies or refine old one like computers, photography, bridge, golf with groups of other like-minded retirees. Or you can throw yourself into community service with the Rotary clubs -- there are something like 14 just within the city, most Thai, one that's mostly foreign retirees.

You can do all this in a fairly compact geographic area, with easy access to world-class medical care, dining, malls, etc. Sure, no beaches, but there's a nice lake and nature trail at the reservoir and pleasant waterfalls a short drive away.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Having lived elsewhere in Thailand and now currently happy in Pattaya, In would say some might be foolish enough to squander their money on the girls and the bars.

Yes, you do settle down to a normal life here in Pattaya. I find it little different to many places.

There is relatively cheap accommodation but it needs searching out to avoid 'Farang prices'.

Plenty of food shops, music, friendly people and so much more.

One problem here in Pattaya is finding the 'right woman' and sorting them from the bar girls and gold diggers. Thankfully (touch wood) I believe I have found one, but it has taken a long time and many tries.

Chiang Mai would have been a choice for me except for the burning and air quality (me being asthmatic).

• Like 1

bkk is probably going to put a bad taste in your mouth. its practically like living in a western city city now. not the exotic you were expecting.

i flew right into chiang mai when first relocating and it was a great life for several years.

eventually got blown around by visa stuff, house being sold and wanting to see other areas thinking the situation would be similar in costs and quality of life. did not find other parts of thailand to my liking, and ready to do some more conservative living in vietnam which i have scouted out already.

• Like 1

Learn how to read and write Thai and then learn how to speak Thai. I'd learn how to read and write in Chiang mai at a university and learn how to speak Thai in Bangkok. I hate to generalize about women but Chiang Mai was difficult for me to find decent women. Never try and find a Thai women till you can read and write and speak Thai. If you think about that makes a lot of sense. However sense is not what you will find a lot of among expats in Thailand. I'd avoid them at all costs.

I've lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya and now do not live in any of those places. As I see it the biggest problem of the new retiree is learning to read, write and speak Thai and having a place to store valuables.

• Like 2

Contribute to look after the family?? By all means a wee treat now and again to the Mil and Fil, but the family?? Are you a walking ATM? You should look after yourself first, because you will be at the bottom of 'the families' priorities except on contribution day. Wise up.

• Like 2

Well, I'm the head cheerleader for retiring in Chiang Mai, but it really is a good place to start your retirement. It's easy to get settled here. Many activities for retirees. No need to spend your days perched on a bar stool. Lots of schools and tutors so you can immerse yourself in learning the language and then you'll be better equipped to go out and really explore Thailand.

You can pick up new hobbies or refine old one like computers, photography, bridge, golf with groups of other like-minded retirees. Or you can throw yourself into community service with the Rotary clubs -- there are something like 14 just within the city, most Thai, one that's mostly foreign retirees.

You can do all this in a fairly compact geographic area, with easy access to world-class medical care, dining, malls, etc. Sure, no beaches, but there's a nice lake and nature trail at the reservoir and pleasant waterfalls a short drive away.

Chiang Mai hands down. Yes there are problems here pollution at times etc. but hey this is Thailand there is no Utopia here. I have tried the living in the village bit. I lasted a year. Each village has a set of blaring speakers that start up at 5.00 a.m. in the morning and in my case they were located right across the road. I lived in Phitsanulok province and it rained cats and dogs during the rainy season. There were few Falang faces to associate with and the village was the headman's personal fifedom much like the old feudal kings. Soi dogs and roosters took turns at night serenading us. In my case my g/f's mother had a store and the drunks would come pounding on the door every night after 1.00 a.m. looking for gas, booze or cigarettes. Then the gravel would fly as they spun their wheels out onto the road. Everybody in the village knew your business good and bad.

• Like 2

i speak very little Thai and read and write not a word. I have been married to my Thai wife for 22 years and have no regrets. She was not a bar girl and is in fact a lawyer. To say you should never settle on one woman before you speak, read, and write Thai is a bit ridiculous. There are always exceptions even with the bar girls. I have (or had) several friends who were married long-term to same. I have had farang friends dump their long-term live-ins when they (the girls) became seriously ill. Works both ways it seems.

Exceptions for Thai women who are lawyers, speak perfect English. Did you meet her in Thailand 22 years ago?

We live just outside Pattaya,had business in BKK wouldn't want to live there Chiang Mao very nice but to far away same phuket lived in a village ,before I met the wife after 3 weeks I was talking to the wall, Pattaya is not perfect but all human life is here,being a family man changed things. Bored? I've heard of that but never experienced it

• Like 1

Lamlukka, Pathum Thani.

Pros ;- Close to DM, 120km to beach, 35km to Central Bangkok, Very close to Future Park, Zeer (huge malls) and main routes North. Transport excellent. Local Bars, cheap beer, cheap rent, lots of choice, a few felangs, just the 'right' amount lol........nice locals area, friendly, big supermarkets and western fast food if you fancy it for a change or usual 100000 street vendors when you want to be native, easy to get east to cambo border, or on a bus or train north..its just a great area, and Ive been here 5 years now. LEarn a little lingo and try to be a part of the community and youll be accepted and you'll be settled. If you want a tour, give me a shout :-)

Bangkok isn't expensive in the suburbs. Towards the end of the MRT or BTS lines so you're still connected but far enough out that there are few tourists, most western faces you see will be working expats. None of the police stop and search and urine testing stuff either. Local style life, relaxed markets etc. but still plenty of western amenities. 45 mins from Sukhumvit during rush hour on public, or 15 mins in a taxi midnight - 5am with no traffic.

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Hua Hin never seems to get a mention but I really enjoy it here. Been here full time 2 years. I moved here from Oz and have been to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and BKK a number of times. I think it has one of the best climates in Thailand and some reasonable beaches. It has a good expat community with active golf and pool comps. There are also a number of social/charity groups. There are a number of quality golf courses. Its within 3 hrs of BKK if you need that and you can drive to Pattaya in 4 hrs for a few days if thats your desire. It has a few bar areas so you can find one you like. The biggest attraction for me is that its a pretty safe town due to the Kings presence here. Off course its more expensive than Issan but comparable to Phuket, Samui and Pattaya. My advice is do not settle until you have travelled around and had a good look.

• Like 2

Bangkok isn't expensive in the suburbs. Towards the end of the MRT or BTS lines so you're still connected but far enough out that there are few tourists, most western faces you see will be working expats. None of the police stop and search and urine testing stuff either. Local style life, relaxed markets etc. but still plenty of western amenities. 45 mins from Sukhumvit during rush hour on public, or 15 mins in a taxi midnight - 5am with no traffic.

Have to agree, I also live in a suburb of BKK. Close enough yet far enough away. At the end of the day even with all the advice one must decide for themselves. But tons of good info on this thread to consider.

• Like 2

Why is it that everyone on this forum is just finally settling down with the LOVE of their life, have just found HAPPINESS, have just found a SOULMATE, have just found themselves, but in the same sentance, they are RETIRING???? Nothing else happen that was a positive in your life before retirement? Sorry, but it really does just sound like a lot of bitter old twisted men here who have never experienced anything before coming to Thailand. Have never experienced love, happiness, joy, sex, food, nor the ability to wipe their own arse and work out where they would like to live......sorry, but pathetic really.....oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas.

I'd pick Chiang Mai over Bangkok, Pattaya or the Isaan region any time of day.

I agree it is necessary to acquire some communication skills in spokenThai, not necessarily fluency. It's a two-way street, many Thais have some English.

While I agree in an ideal world it would be great to read and write Thai script, I don't think it's possible for the majority of falangs. Consider this: it takes the average Thai child - at the peak of their learning capacity - 5 years to master the Thai alphabet. As a 50 - 70 year old falang not constantly exposed to Thai conversation, just how long will it take you? Save yourself the frustration, and work from the phonetic scripts.

I came here a long time ago and worked here for many years, now I'm retired, I'm settled here, in a long-term relationship, speak/read the language. But if somebody I cared about (a family member or very close friend) told me they were coming to retire in Thailand I'd tell them to go spend a few months checking out PIs and Cambo first. LOS ain't what it used to be.