Retired in LOS. Why did you choose to live where you do?

owenm

Try not to look at it as if you only get one shot. Pick a place for say six months and if you don’t feel really comfortable try elsewhere. You will go through changes so try not to lock yourself into longterm commitments too soon.

The novelty doesn’t last forever and at some point you need to start living a normal life, whatever that may be for you. Wait until you know who you are going to be in Thailand before limiting your options and don’t rely too much on one person to be your guide through life in Thailand.
I agree with the suggestion that you start off in Bangkok simply because of the access to everything you might need at first. I also agree that you should learn the language.
As for the last line in your OP, I have been very happy in Chiang Rai for more than 7 years now but I was also very happy in Bangkok for 30 years before that. The why is simple, I got older and wanted a little change. Also, my wife of 15 years is from Chiang Rai and after years of travel we wanted to settle down for awhile.

And if you follow this advice - - which I agree with - - stay light and mobile until you find your home. To the point of leaving your crap in storage back home until you're sure of where you want to land.

• Like 1

»How does one choose on arriving in Thailand, where do I want to spend my future years in retirement?? Rental, monthly budget approx Bt50K roughly per month. A good comfortable relaxing lifestyle?«

»Why did you choose to live where you do?«

OP is not a first-timer and knows about Thailand – my normal advise is always to look around, stay a place of interest for a while (days, weeks, months) and test it, and visit a number of potential places before you decide where to settle...

Chiang Mai was the first place on my list, dating many years back when I had the feeling “that this is a place I both could and would like to live at”. However, I changed my mind later seeing more of Thailand than just Bangkok, Ciang Mai, and Pattaya – in ’87 and presumably before it was mainly towers, I remember it as a nice place and that had changed a lot when I revisited 18 years later.

I would miss the sea staying in Chiang Mai – apart from I later learned about the air pollution – and that covers Isaan as well. Agree with OP in that up Isaan most places may not be ideal to live when single, and even having a Thai partner, one may still wish to live elsewhere – I’m sure a “good” partner will follow you. So I settled down south on an island, Koh Samui; however we are all individuals with different preferences, so some love a place like this, as “paradise”, others think that’s been spoiled already many years ago.

Some areas are little cheaper to rent a bungalow/condo/house and perhaps also a bit cheaper in daily needs, but I don’t think the difference is that big; i.e. you can find reasonable priced accommodation almost everywhere, but there may of course be major difference in rental prices for a big house up north and a similar sized at a major tourist beach destination.

With OP’s suggested budget of 50K baht a month one can live fine in Thailand, of course depending of life-style and spending on other “items” than basic or modest accommodation, food, insurance, transportation etc. However one can also easily spend 50K in almost no time when aiming for hi-so life-style and partying...

I can only compare to myself, and the place I live, which is considered to be among the little more up-priced. If I can be of any further assistance, you are welcome to ask specific questions here or PM me.

smile.png

Well, I guess I am quite different from many of you. I decided to retire in Southeast Asia because of the different culture, the lower living costs, and the fact there were just too many farangs back in the US. My first choice, the Philippines, just had too many infrastructure problems--I do like electricity, water, roads, etc., so it was Thailand or Vietnam. I decided on Thailand and I wanted access to most everything except farangs--not that I don't like farangs, I just don't have to have only farang friends and learning Thia is much easier if you have ot speak it daily. Besides, there are plenty of farnags to see when I travel to the other places you TV posters have recommended. I want to be able to get whatever I like without too much hassle and cost. Farangs around tends to make prices go up higher than they normally would. I have found the Thai delicacies are available everywhere in Thailand, and the farther you get away from the farang areas, the more delicate they are. I don't want to live in the country, I need some nightlife. I don't want to live by the sea, mostly because seaside living, except in the country, is expensive and loaded with farangs. However, I do want to be in close proximity to both country and beach. I also want to have immediate access to international air, sea, and land transport, and to be not far from a border crossing. I want to be able to move when I want, so I must be mobile, no need to be tied down. The most valuable things I have here are my vehicles, and I can handle their loss if need be. My mobility gives me the option to move--elsewhere in Thailand, or to another country. I suggest you give your choice of location a good think; maybe stay in several locations before you commit to any one place. If you get wedged in to a place because of your choice of companion, you probably shouldn't; not only because it may not be your choice location, but also because of the probable extended family there.

Lamlukka, Pathum Thani.

Pros ;- Close to DM, 120km to beach, 35km to Central Bangkok, Very close to Future Park, Zeer (huge malls) and main routes North. Transport excellent. Local Bars, cheap beer, cheap rent, lots of choice, a few felangs, just the 'right' amount lol........nice locals area, friendly, big supermarkets and western fast food if you fancy it for a change or usual 100000 street vendors when you want to be native, easy to get east to cambo border, or on a bus or train north..its just a great area, and Ive been here 5 years now. LEarn a little lingo and try to be a part of the community and youll be accepted and you'll be settled. If you want a tour, give me a shout :-)

Apparently we live not a million miles away. I live down the road from you in Sai Mai. As you say a lot of convenience to living in this area. For me I love it and wouldnt want to change but it very much depends on the individual.

I do speak enough Thai to go around on my own and not have a problem which obviously helps a lot.

It may not be essential to learn some Thai but it certainly goes a long way to breaking down barriers with the Thai people

After 8 months in central Pattaya, would I do it differently ? Hell yes. Would I have chosen CM or BKK instead ? Hell no. This is Disneyland - more specifically, Bizarro Disneyland, but I dont know anywhere else where I could be within easy walking distance of everything I need on a daily basis for the money I pay here. If I can offer nothing else, it would be that you need an active hobby - staring at the telly or listening to music just won't get you through ~16 hours of 'leisure' each day. If canarysun saves money by wandering all over Chonburi taking photos, more power to him - I'm confident that his sleep patterns are a whole lot better than mine. The traffic here grinds my gears, but that would have been the case in BKK or CM.

We dig a lot of holes for ourselves in Thailand, but as I sit here listening to Zeppelin IV at 10:45 on a Monday morning I dont have to ask myself whether I'd rather be back in an office chasing a deadline. Hell no wink.png

I looked at BK first and hated the place, hot, polluted, scams everywhere. Checked out of my hotel 10 days early and someone said go to Pattaya, as i had never heard of it.

THE REST IS HISTORY

A great place to retire if one is sensible and living a good lifestyle

Checkout Udon Thani.

Farang friendly and cheap.

Go to beach for holidays.

Wasn't particularly "farang friendly" for the German man who got attacked by 3 drunk teens with a garden hoe last month.

Learn how to read and write Thai and then learn how to speak Thai. I'd learn how to read and write in Chiang mai at a university and learn how to speak Thai in Bangkok. I hate to generalize about women but Chiang Mai was difficult for me to find decent women. Never try and find a Thai women till you can read and write and speak Thai. If you think about that makes a lot of sense. However sense is not what you will find a lot of among expats in Thailand. I'd avoid them at all costs.

Usual horse faeces from this poster. Ask him how many times he's been married

and divorced and you will get a sense of just how much salt you should take his

advice with.

sir

I agree

He posts to get reaction. I owuld think if your thai lady speaks good english, then he post needs to be in the bin

Well another flamer eh mate? Ok I'll bite. I'll agree if you don't live in Thailand and your Thai wife does not have any Thai friends or family and you don't mind feeling like a deaf, dumb mute at any Thai functions.

Marriage is hard. Cross cultural marriage is harder. Cross cultural marriage without language skills very very very difficult. The only thing worse is cross cultural marriage with no languages skills and trying to conduct the whole thing long distance.

• Like 2

Consider using Thailand as a home base while you visit other SE Asian countries in the area...the daily grind of Thailand may get on your nerves after awhile...visiting other countries gives you a better perspective as to whether you made the best choice for your lifestyle...

I think you will find Vietnam has all the things that you mentioned...many people speak good English...prices are not bad...women are even better...Nha Trang has arguably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world...good luck...count your change...double check the figures of all expensive purchases...while in SE Asia...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Contribute to look after the family?? By all means a wee treat now and again to the Mil and Fil, but the family?? Are you a walking ATM? You should look after yourself first, because you will be at the bottom of 'the families' priorities except on contribution day. Wise up.

Learn how to read and write Thai and then learn how to speak Thai. I'd learn how to read and write in Chiang mai at a university and learn how to speak Thai in Bangkok. I hate to generalize about women but Chiang Mai was difficult for me to find decent women. Never try and find a Thai women till you can read and write and speak Thai. If you think about that makes a lot of sense. However sense is not what you will find a lot of among expats in Thailand. I'd avoid them at all costs.

I've lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya and now do not live in any of those places. As I see it the biggest problem of the new retiree is learning to read, write and speak Thai and having a place to store valuables.

Superb advice, especially bold type sentence.

Have not found either of these statements to be accurate in the 6 years I have been coming here and the 2 retired here. Go into every relationship with your eyes open and be sure you say no when its not comfortable. A good Thai woman will understand and bad will walk (but probably be back the next day begging). I met my current GF 4 years ago and she did not speak English. She learnt and after two trips to Oz she can now communicate and comprehend enough to have a joke and correct me. Many Thai girls have basic English. In the relationship you remain the boss or you are screwed. Having said that I discuss and explain every major decision to ensure she understands and is happy. I have also done enough to show her I trust her so we respect each other. Yes I do support her mother and son as she did when she worked and that was the trade. She stopped work to look after me and I continued to support her mum and son. Contribution has not changed in 2 years. I still speak little Thai and do not find it an issue at all because many thai speak a little English or indeed are keen to learn.

^^^^^, sounds more like an arragement than a proper relationship, never mind, each to their own.

W T F do so many farang get involved with women with baggage in tow.

Sounds as if you were attracted by the wrapping paper and not the contents, the whole package needs to be taken into consideration.

Anyway, Bkk for work, Chanthaburi for retirement, Chan best province in thailand.

• Like 1

Rgs200tuk Agree ,especially Chan for retire, hard to get house for long term ,want to move there from Chiang mai soon need some help, lovely area ,sea,durian heavenly . Generally rather peaceful,.,..almost law abiding traffic wise, wow! Sent p.m

I looked at BK first and hated the place, hot, polluted, scams everywhere. Checked out of my hotel 10 days early and someone said go to Pattaya, as i had never heard of it.

THE REST IS HISTORY

I'd have said the same thing about Pattaya :) Hot because you swap air-conditioned taxis, airconditioned skytrain and subway for the baht bus, songthaews and motorbikes.

Scams because the few taxis there don't use the meter, people in general are less calm and more jaded because of the influx of tourists, sexpats and the prostitution based nightlife scene. Basically Thais that make a living from tourists, flock there, we're just walking ATMs, whereas in Bangkok you can blend in and people are calmer, busy with their lives not looking to get something from you.

The worst criminal elements of Thailand flock there too. Pattaya makes Koh Tao look like a playground, check out Tim Sharky's facebook for posts about expats going off the rails or ending up dead in Pattaya, joining the 'Pattaya balcony divers' club.

Polluted because the beaches are unswimmable, unless you want to get on a hot, stressful 40 min ferry ride to Koh Larn. Air quality, I don't perceive any difference between Bangkok and Pattaya, both have high traffic congestion.

• Like 1

THE REST IS HISTORY

I'd have said the same thing about Pattaya smile.png Hot because you swap air-conditioned taxis, airconditioned skytrain and subway for the baht bus, songthaews and motorbikes.

Scams because the few taxis there don't use the meter, people in general are less calm and more jaded because of the influx of tourists, sexpats and the prostitution based nightlife scene. Basically Thais that make a living from tourists, flock there, we're just walking ATMs, whereas in Bangkok you can blend in and people are calmer, busy with their lives not looking to get something from you.

The worst criminal elements of Thailand flock there too. Pattaya makes Koh Tao look like a playground, check out Tim Sharky's facebook for posts about expats going off the rails or ending up dead in Pattaya, joining the 'Pattaya balcony divers' club.

Polluted because the beaches are unswimmable, unless you want to get on a hot, stressful 40 min ferry ride to Koh Larn. Air quality, I don't perceive any difference between Bangkok and Pattaya, both have high traffic congestion.

Good point, but living just outside Pattaya is a huge difference. I guess it'd be the same no matter what city you picked. CM, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Pattaya. The "downtown" area is congested and crowded, but the outer areas are quite nice. I like being near a big city, just don't like living in it. And in all of these places, traffic has gotten much worse over the past 4-5 years.

If you want to have western amenities, then the OP will need to be near one of areas above (or others like it). We find it very difficult to get items we like, especially food and wine, even here in Pattaya. Just had a friend in from Issan and he spent 2 days just shopping at the various stores here. Nothing like that available where he lives. Plus, few foreigners where he lives. If that's OK with you, then great! But we like all the friends we have here and in Bangkok. Relatively easy to meet people here.

As has been mentioned before, when you first come here, check out each of these places. Spent at least a few weeks in each area checking things out. Each one is different and you won't know what's what until you spend some time there. That's what we did before we picked where we are now. And renting is a great way to go at first....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Contribute to look after the family?? By all means a wee treat now and again to the Mil and Fil, but the family?? Are you a walking ATM? You should look after yourself first, because you will be at the bottom of 'the families' priorities except on contribution day. Wise up.

I've lived in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya and now do not live in any of those places. As I see it the biggest problem of the new retiree is learning to read, write and speak Thai and having a place to store valuables.

Superb advice, especially bold type sentence.

Have not found either of these statements to be accurate in the 6 years I have been coming here and the 2 retired here. Go into every relationship with your eyes open and be sure you say no when its not comfortable. A good Thai woman will understand and bad will walk (but probably be back the next day begging). I met my current GF 4 years ago and she did not speak English. She learnt and after two trips to Oz she can now communicate and comprehend enough to have a joke and correct me. Many Thai girls have basic English. In the relationship you remain the boss or you are screwed. Having said that I discuss and explain every major decision to ensure she understands and is happy. I have also done enough to show her I trust her so we respect each other. Yes I do support her mother and son as she did when she worked and that was the trade. She stopped work to look after me and I continued to support her mum and son. Contribution has not changed in 2 years. I still speak little Thai and do not find it an issue at all because many thai speak a little English or indeed are keen to learn.

Like I said, it's nice to give your Mil something now and again, it's also ok to help her financially with her son, but you have to make sure you are not treated as an ATM. I came here looking for a Thai wife, one girl I was getting to really like, was working, had no children, expected me to contribute financially to her mother, and foot the bill every time we met up with her friends, I told her it was a no no, next thing was a Dear John e-mail accusing me of being stingy.

I have been with my wife for nine years now with no relying on me financially for herself or son and daughter, I made that clear from the start. My wife had and still has a good job. I did buy the house and car, gave her kids something now and again. I was not interested in any girl who never had a job. If you are financially secure and you wanted your wife to stop work, then I do agree with you taking over her financial responsibilities.

I've live in pattaya nearly 15 years I love where I live in a village near the beach not dogs cars or people selling food on bike nice and quite.

yes you will get tired of bars and girls and probably most of the farangs you meet in bars but be in control of your own life and you will be happy where ever you decide to live.

Having lived elsewhere in Thailand and now currently happy in Pattaya, In would say some might be foolish enough to squander their money on the girls and the bars.

Yes, you do settle down to a normal life here in Pattaya. I find it little different to many places.

There is relatively cheap accommodation but it needs searching out to avoid 'Farang prices'.

Plenty of food shops, music, friendly people and so much more.

One problem here in Pattaya is finding the 'right woman' and sorting them from the bar girls and gold diggers. Thankfully (touch wood) I believe I have found one, but it has taken a long time and many tries.

Chiang Mai would have been a choice for me except for the burning and air quality (me being asthmatic).

I've lived in Jomtien for almost 10 years now and am happy here. The condo is on the baht bus route, which was important at the time. If you do decide to live here, it is vital that you get out of the "holiday mode" as soon as possible and settle down to a more normal routine.

It also took me a long time to find the "right woman" but we've now lived together for 18 months and will be getting married next year.

Why is it that everyone on this forum is just finally settling down with the LOVE of their life, have just found HAPPINESS, have just found a SOULMATE, have just found themselves, but in the same sentance, they are RETIRING???? Nothing else happen that was a positive in your life before retirement? Sorry, but it really does just sound like a lot of bitter old twisted men here who have never experienced anything before coming to Thailand. Have never experienced love, happiness, joy, sex, food, nor the ability to wipe their own arse and work out where they would like to live......sorry, but pathetic really.....oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas.

A very negative outlook. I took early retirement before the stress of my job made me seriously ill. I may never have been married before but I was able to do some travelling with the only continent not visited being Antarctica. I had planned on going there soon but the financial crisis a few years ago coupled with the substantial fall in the sterling - baht exchange rate has effectively ruled that out for the time being. My girlfriend wants to move to a house with BOTH of us considering a move to either Bang Saray or Sattahip at some point in the future.

I've live in pattaya nearly 15 years I love where I live in a village near the beach not dogs cars or people selling food on bike nice and quite.

yes you will get tired of bars and girls and probably most of the farangs you meet in bars but be in control of your own life and you will be happy where ever you decide to live.

You've obviously met many of the same farangs that I have!

Alan

• Like 1

Before retiring here in 2011, I made two trips each year in 2009 and 2010 for a month stay each trip. Toured around abit. Loved getting introduced to Thailand through Bangkok but knew I did not want to live in a big city. I am more inclined to mountains than beaches so after visiting Pattaya it was up to the north country. Think I could live just fine in Udon Thani, Korat, Kon Kaen, perhaps Loei but...In the end Chiang Mai just felt right for me and I have not regretted my choice. I am saddened by the growth continuing here but I live on the outskirts of the city. Easy enough to drive in and I can find almost anything I wish here. True having a Thai wife makes things a whole lot better. Fortunately, she wanted to learn English and had studied on her own previously, down side there is that my Thai language study went dormant. As to budget, too much personal variance to really peg what an individual needs to live comfortably. My monthly transfer allows for about 64k baht a month. Do not lack but now I don't think I would want to try on less with having a car, motorbike, condo, etc.

My Free Advice:

- Start with Bangkok. Stay 6 months. Travel to CM, CRai, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, and south to Phuket, etc.

- Begin to learn Thai language.

- Experience Thai customs and ways first-hand.

- Cheap to travel to places, and look at it in-person. Get several different experiences and look at opportunities.

- After 6 months -- go with the place that "feels right".

- Remember: once you get somewhere, you can always move again.

- Consider Chiang Mai for a year. Then move to south (Krabi, Phuket, small islands, etc.) for one year.

- When you meet a great woman -- and you WILL -- everything changes.

To me and my Thai Wife -- her family lives in Tha Bo (35km west of Nong Khai in Issan area) -- we want the excitement of the Big City. Last night we took BTS to Central World and walked around looking at massive Christmas displays. The night before, we went to Tawandang and danced and ate. So many things to do in BKK. We would be totally, wholly BORED in other cities.

I am truly blessed to have beautiful woman that loves to go and do things: three days ago we hired a driver to take us to Bang Pa-In Palace, near Ayatthaya. We do not own a car. We use tuk-tuk to BTS and Subway ... and always use public transportation.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

• Like 1

I've lived in Pattaya for a little over 10 years with a brief stop in BKK for 4 months. I prefer to be near the water, just not the water in Pattaya Bay.....but it will do for now. If one can avoid all "free ticket" ladies and the bar stools you have a fighting chance to enjoy life. I do lots of travel (Australia, Viet Nam, Laos, China) so as not to let the days all run together......Thailand Is the ideal launch pad for new adventures of you have the resources and desire to experience other cultures. ?. For me, Bangkok was just too busy and too hot. Everything seemed to cost double what it does here in Pattaya???

As many have said, different strokes.....just keep yourself in the minimalist mode and travel light and often 'til you find a comfy spot and don't forget to enjoy the ride...?

My Free Advice:

- Start with Bangkok. Stay 6 months. Travel to CM, CRai, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, and south to Phuket, etc.

- Begin to learn Thai language.

- Experience Thai customs and ways first-hand.

- Cheap to travel to places, and look at it in-person. Get several different experiences and look at opportunities.

- After 6 months -- go with the place that "feels right".

- Remember: once you get somewhere, you can always move again.

- Consider Chiang Mai for a year. Then move to south (Krabi, Phuket, small islands, etc.) for one year.

- When you meet a great woman -- and you WILL -- everything changes.

To me and my Thai Wife -- her family lives in Tha Bo (35km west of Nong Khai in Issan area) -- we want the excitement of the Big City. Last night we took BTS to Central World and walked around looking at massive Christmas displays. The night before, we went to Tawandang and danced and ate. So many things to do in BKK. We would be totally, wholly BORED in other cities.

I am truly blessed to have beautiful woman that loves to go and do things: three days ago we hired a driver to take us to Bang Pa-In Palace, near Ayatthaya. We do not own a car. We use tuk-tuk to BTS and Subway ... and always use public transportation.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Very good advice for a lot of reasons. Very safe advice for a lot of reasons. Very wise advice for a lot of reasons.

I like the quiet life - so all cities were out for me. I enjoyed the beaches (although only occasionally spend time on them now that they're on my doorstep), and I didn't want to be too far from BKK airport (or need to take internal flights) when going visiting back to UK. So that gave my target between about 150-300 km from swampypoon. Also, I'd heard many horror stories about living too close to the in-laws, so Issan was ruled out.

This limited my choices to Cha-am down to about PKK (HH was out - far too many expats) on the west, or Jomtien down to Chantaburi on the east.

I wanted to be on a small plot of land, rather than a condo, a "farang enclave" or upmarket thai estate, and didn't want to pay over the top prices, so this again pushed out the distance from BKK.

I ended up in Rayong, about 15km east of the city towards the hills, with a 6 rai "smallholding" on a 30 yr lease. Plenty to keep me busy as I built a small 3-bedroomed extension to the existing (but new) one-room bungalow, and always something to do around the "garden". Also, it's good to have fresh fruit & veggies available when in season, or otherwise from the local markets & farms.

Since parts of Rayong are international industrial areas, there are many expats (and not just farang retirees), so there's a good mix of international food available (not that this was a prime reason initially, but after a few years it is nice to eat a good steak, etc). Also, if required there are good medical and other facilities. My lack of Thai language skills can be a minor problem away from the larger city or beach areas, but I can usually get by.

Almost 8 years later, I'm more than happy with my choice, although the traffic is getting much heavier, especially in the city, and I often choose to take the motorbike in for shopping rather than take the car. But I can still sit enjoying a beer on my roof-top terrance in the evening, with no noise other than the owls & insects, and watch the stars without too much light pollution either from adjoining houses or nearby developments. I spend much of my days cycling around the quiet lanes & coastal roads, or lazing in the hammock, reading. Well away from cable TV or a fast internet to distract, and with the occasional monitor lizard or big snake for company.

As to costs; 50k per month is plenty to live well (incl. car, insurances, regular meals out, etc, although no accom costs for me), but not excessively (intl. meals & drunken binges every night)...and I will disagree with the comment that cost are similar wherever... a basic meal, ie. noodles, is 30bt in the villages by me, 50bt in the more touristy areas, and even higher on Koh Samet... I'd imagine Samui/Phuket would be higher again.

Rayong is knocked by many due to the industrialisation & pollution in a few isolated areas, but there's so much more away from these, and it continues to suit my lifestyle.

Maybe I was lucky with my choice, and although I didn't do it myself, I would recommend what others have said - rent for a couple of months in an area you think you might like before you make the commitment.. I did hire cars and drive over most of Thailand during a few months over a period of a year before deciding on what my requirements actually were going to be.

And I'm going to use a previous poster's sign-off comment..

I live in a house, in a field, in a valley with a view ...

Fantastic responses everyone for your thought provoking ideas to my post!

I'm stoked that there are 50+ responses in all of about 24 hours, and has definitely assisted me, and thrown some new destinations and ideas to consider. Any new/fresh ideas, throw them in the arena. Great reading! Merry Christmas to all the TV contributors and members alike. Ho ho ho!

• Like 2