Are Scandinavians racist? In Bang Saen they are.

yougivemebaby

I was looking for an apartment for my friend. Drove by a place called Scandinavian village so I thought I would stop by and take a look. Gorgeous pool and courtyard. Has a restaurant inside. Looked quiet.

I asked the desk if there were any rooms available for rent. The Thai worker said someone would be out shortly to speak with me. An older guy came out didn't sit down but stood over me and seemed a bit stand-off right away. He asked me where I was from? I said I'm American. He said that no one can rent rooms there if they're not Scandinavian. LOL Thai's included. So if you have a Thai wife/partner, you're not welcome. Someone care to enlighten me?

• Like 1

Sad to hear that story from OP, I am also Scandinavian and we normally don't behave in such a racist way.

It's one of the nice things about living here in LOS, meeting with all kinds of people from the whole world.

I did hear about some kind of a Scandinavian retirement project south of Pattaya where older people from those countries can buy/rent small bungalows and they have nursing facilities too for people that might need that.

Some older people from those countries sometimes struggle with English which could be one reason they don't want anybody else in.

I believe in free choice.

It's private ownership, they can refuse anyone they want.

There are multimillion complexes built in the West that don't allow children.

Some don't allow pets........

Deep down, would you really want to live there .. probably not.

I think that most condos dont allow pets here, even if the rule is not always applied very well. Mine certainly doesnt allow them.

I personally would be delighted to live in a place that restricted access exclusively to Scandinavians above the age of (say) 50. Almost worth changing my nationality for in fact.

I've long thought that there is absolutely massive scope for properly segregated developments here, and I would be quick to move into one if I could.

Edited by KittenKong

straightforward question - do you really mean Bang Saen or Ban Saray?

It's Bang Saen. It's not too far from ang sila market. If you google it, you will see it. The pool itself is amazing.

Age didn't seem to be a factor

As I saw children there too. Yes I know it's a private business and they can refuse service to anyone. Most Scandinavians I've met have been pretty open minded compared to most cultures, so I was a little shocked when I heard about this policy. To each his own.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some don't allow pets.

In Thailand you can ask for a female employee under the age of 30 ... which, in most places in the West would be banned.

Is that place Racist ... probably.

Is it allowed ... probably.

Situation solved, look for a comparable place which has a less restrictive policy.

It's Bangsaen. Small correction. Scandinavians 50 + with Thai partners are welcome.

I think that most condos dont allow pets here, even if the rule is not always applied very well. Mine certainly doesnt allow them.

I personally would be delighted to live in a place that restricted access exclusively to Scandinavians above the age of (say) 50. Almost worth changing my nationality for in fact.

I've long thought that there is absolutely massive scope for properly segregated developments here, and I would be quick to move into one if I could.

Agreed, nothing wrong with segregation and thankfully someone say they have no problem with it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agreed, nothing wrong with segregation and thankfully someone say they have no problem with it.

There are a lot of Scandi retirement developments in Thailand. I believe even the various governments also offer retirement packages here with nursing care.

That I can understand then, If it's subsidized. Is that typical in other countries though?

How are Scaninavians towards their European brothers? Why wouldn't they want/allow a German or Dutch in their community? This is what confuses me. I suppose I should have asked.

There are a lot of Scandi retirement developments in Thailand. I believe even the various governments also offer retirement packages here with nursing care.

That I can understand then, If it's subsidized. Is that typical in other countries though?

How are Scaninavians towards their European brothers? Why wouldn't they want/allow a German or Dutch in their community? This is what confuses me. I suppose I should have asked.

As I said the Scandi Governments have been very progressive in offering retirement options in Thailand for their senior citizens.

There are various Scandi housing developments around and they prefer to live in a family atmosphere.

They are an insular people, most of them don't socialize outside their own group much.

They don't encourage Germans and Brits etc. staying there, getting drunk and bringing girls back at all hours.

• Like 1

Believe me, if you aren't a Scandihooligan, the OP doesn't need to be wanting to live in any of the many 'exclusive' Nordic communities here in LOS.

That post doesn't make sense at all. Do you mean that the OP would not want to live in an exclusively Nordic community? In that case you're wrong, because you would have the stingy Swedes to keep the prices at a sensible level, the gourmandish Danes to supply great food and the Norwegians to make sure there's always a party going on!

biggrin.png

Why am I not surprised that this statement about racism was made by a citicen of the USA? Going over the top with this calling for racism for every little sxit I think.

Its a restriction made by this village, not much different to the restrictions a country makes if I want to live there. Maybe I should call every American a Racist, because they dont let me live in there country?

Having a problem here myself as I have no idea if I like it or not.

One part of me would say good its private property, I would not want to rent out to certain people either. (based on a person to person base not nationality). The other part of me says its bad its racism in a way, I can just hear the uproar if it said no foreigners allowed or no blacks ect.

hard to make a good comment about this one i'm split here.

I do know that I don't have to spend my time with other Dutch, I don't care about nationality at all just if people are compatible. I would even go as low as to agree to American friends biggrin.png and if I am in a real good mood id sink even lower and include Brits cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Why am I not surprised that this statement about racism was made by a citicen of the USA? Going over the top with this calling for racism for every little sxit I think.

Its a restriction made by this village, not much different to the restrictions a country makes if I want to live there. Maybe I should call every American a Racist, because they dont let me live in there country?

I'm not going to pussyfoot around the facts. What would you call it?

I'm not bashing Scandinavians. I didn't say every Scandinavian was racist. I'm only referring to the group in Bang Saen. I've lived in a small town before and on a small Hawaiian island. I know how all about little clicks and people who want to be introverted hermits. Most people who travel or live here are open to being friendly with anyone. Doesn't matter about their nationality or color.

Why won't they let you live there?

• Like 1

As I said the Scandi Governments have been very progressive in offering retirement options in Thailand for their senior citizens.

There are various Scandi housing developments around and they prefer to live in a family atmosphere.

They are an insular people, most of them don't socialize outside their own group much.

They don't encourage Germans and Brits etc. staying there, getting drunk and bringing girls back at all hours.

Oh-ho so do you think the Scandi's are better regarding birds and booze?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As I said before some older Scandi's can't speak English very well and yes they often stay in groups where they know each other well.

I was often out with such a group when I lived on Phuket and what a bunch of "old bitches" they were and they were always talking bad about you when you were not there.

I prefer mixed nationalities now after being an expat for over 12 years and learned my lessons.

I believe we were talking about the Scandi gated communities. The single guys or ones with Thai GF's stick with their own circle. I think it's because no one can understand their jokes.

Oh-ho so do you think the Scandi's are better regarding birds and booze?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As I said before some older Scandi's can't speak English very well and yes they often stay in groups where they know each other well.

I was often out with such a group when I lived on Phuket and what a bunch of "old bitches" they were and they were always talking bad about you when you were not there.

I prefer mixed nationalities now after being an expat for over 12 years and learned my lessons.

I believe we were talking about the Scandi gated communities. The single guys or ones with Thai GF's stick with their own circle. I think it's because no one can understand their jokes.

Scandinavian jokes? This infers that they have a sense of humour no?

• Like 1

Scandinavian jokes? This infers that they have a sense of humour no?

It may be loosely called a sense of humor but it's even worse than German humor, if there is such a thing.

In short: no, scandinavian people are not rasist, usually quite the opposite (being tolerant has been taught in schools since the seventies)
In a bit lenghtened way: maybe the community, already renting (making the majority of the people living there), have requested the upkeep to scrutinize people, upon their standards and customs so there would be no clashes between the people, at least when talking about cultural differences?

In a real boring way: what if the manager just didn't feel like you'd fit in - no matter what nationality?

In an understanding way: What if the folks living there just want to be left alone living within their own little circle - and they pay the upkeep to make it happen?

Stupid generalizing when you don't know what's behind even curtain number one wai.gif

In short: no, scandinavian people are not rasist, usually quite the opposite (being tolerant has been taught in schools since the seventies)

In a bit lenghtened way: maybe the community, already renting (making the majority of the people living there), have requested the upkeep to scrutinize people, upon their standards and customs so there would be no clashes between the people, at least when talking about cultural differences?

In a real boring way: what if the manager just didn't feel like you'd fit in - no matter what nationality?

In an understanding way: What if the folks living there just want to be left alone living within their own little circle - and they pay the upkeep to make it happen?

Stupid generalizing when you don't know what's behind even curtain number one wai.gif

Racism, underpinned by ethnocentrism, is a human universal. So, we are all "racists" in one sense. Non-human animals are also "racists," in the sense that they make in-group/out-group distinctions. The difference between the human animal and non-human animals is our ability to use culture (learned information that exists in the mind and is transmitted from one generation to another via learning) to transcend the animal within us. Merry Xmas Human Animals smile.png

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Racism, underpinned by ethnocentrism, is a human universal. So, we are all "racists" in one sense. Non-human animals are also "racists," in the sense that they make in-group/out-group distinctions. The difference between the human animal and non-human animals is our ability to use culture (learned information that exists in the mind and is transmitted from one generation to another via learning) to transcend the animal within us. Merry Xmas Human Animals smile.png

Sure, but then again there aren't even multiple races of humans, so it's all mockery to begin with :)

Happy Christmas/Hanukkah/24th of December to each and every sentient being wai2.gif

Can understand if it's a retirement village.

but is this not just a posh version of the Muslim enclaves we have back home???

ummmm