New tires already?

cooked

I tend to change my tires based on age, not mileage.

I replace every two years as they lose their grip as the rubber ages. They harden.

+1 - at the end of the day, all that keeps your vehicle on the road are the tires.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WarpSpeed, on 28 Dec 2014 - 23:56, said::

Didn't like the ride? It IS a pickup, you don't buy a truck, and expect it to ride like a car by making it unsafe and prematurely wearing the tires by lowering the pressures. It's for that reason that they recommend that tire pressure, they too are trying to hit a razor thin compromise between safety and ride because so many people buy them for their daily drivers now and don't want a pick up truck ride.The problem is those pressures are just that, razor thin and no margin for error if they are not strictly watched and kept perfect, they easily dip to below safe pressures and then they wear prematurely and are unsafe, but hey if all those videos posted here and elsewhere of over-correcting and flipping trucks and SUV's aren't convincing enough for you, then just keep doing what you're doing until you experience it first hand yourself. Hopefully you'll survive to come back & tell us about your experience first hand.

I do agree with having lower pressures on the rears though when the truck is not being used for carrying a load as the rears need help with grip when unloaded and over-filling them will induce dangerous over-steer especially in down hill, wet & sudden braking conditions.

Hey Warpee what Light Year are you in? You seem to be back in the good old days the New, top of the range pickups ride quite well if the tyre pressures are set to manufactures recommendations, bit similar to some sports cars of course not around the bends.

Twenty-nine psi for mine. As I said I tried it at a few psi above but the ride comfort changed dramatically. I dont seem to lose any pressure in the tyres between checking either maybe due to luck or the fact that they have had 100% N2 (almost) in since day2.

In fact the ride is probably just as good as that V6 Banger you have maybe you should lock it up safely when Steptoe and Sons cart comes around. Actually that was quite a nice car in its day.

Sorry if you took to heart some opinions seem quite sensible whereas others ... judge for yourself. Your comment I just noticed another confusing issue with my post, I posted very late at night so I obviously wasn't clear on a Come on that was too much ear medicine?

Forget about you Race Day Exploits in past years this is 2014, even the spec. of mineral oils has improve dramatically since Duckhams 20W/50 Days. For your interest, and others maybe, Im using Mobil 1Turbo Diesel Pickup 5W/40 it stopped that extra bit of engine noise on initial start up and oil usage is almost zero in 10K Kms When the warranty runs out I will extend the oil change period especially as the EGR is blanked..

As you are suggesting that people lower their tyre pressures when going downhill, should they increase them when going uphill just asking.

Warpee enjoy the New Year and please dont stop posting you never know one day you may rise to the dizzy heights of Poster of The Year. But for that you may need to post in a different forum as well.

Didn't like the ride? It IS a pickup, you don't buy a truck, and expect it to ride like a car by making it unsafe and prematurely wearing the tires by lowering the pressures. It's for that reason that they recommend that tire pressure, they too are trying to hit a razor thin compromise between safety and ride because so many people buy them for their daily drivers now and don't want a pick up truck ride.The problem is those pressures are just that, razor thin and no margin for error if they are not strictly watched and kept perfect, they easily dip to below safe pressures and then they wear prematurely and are unsafe, but hey if all those videos posted here and elsewhere of over-correcting and flipping trucks and SUV's aren't convincing enough for you, then just keep doing what you're doing until you experience it first hand yourself. Hopefully you'll survive to come back & tell us about your experience first hand.

I do agree with having lower pressures on the rears though when the truck is not being used for carrying a load as the rears need help with grip when unloaded and over-filling them will induce dangerous over-steer especially in down hill, wet & sudden braking conditions.

Hey Warpee what Light Year are you in? You seem to be back in the good old days the New, top of the range pickups ride quite well if the tyre pressures are set to manufactures recommendations, bit similar to some sports cars of course not around the bends.

Twenty-nine psi for mine. As I said I tried it at a few psi above but the ride comfort changed dramatically. I dont seem to lose any pressure in the tyres between checking either maybe due to luck or the fact that they have had 100% N2 (almost) in since day2.

In fact the ride is probably just as good as that V6 Banger you have maybe you should lock it up safely when Steptoe and Sons cart comes around. Actually that was quite a nice car in its day.

Sorry if you took to heart some opinions seem quite sensible whereas others ... judge for yourself. Your comment I just noticed another confusing issue with my post, I posted very late at night so I obviously wasn't clear on a Come on that was too much ear medicine?

Forget about you Race Day Exploits in past years this is 2014, even the spec. of mineral oils has improve dramatically since Duckhams 20W/50 Days. For your interest, and others maybe, Im using Mobil 1Turbo Diesel Pickup 5W/40 it stopped that extra bit of engine noise on initial start up and oil usage is almost zero in 10K Kms When the warranty runs out I will extend the oil change period especially as the EGR is blanked..

As you are suggesting that people lower their tyre pressures when going downhill, should they increase them when going uphill just asking.

Warpee enjoy the New Year and please dont stop posting you never know one day you may rise to the dizzy heights of Poster of The Year. But for that you may need to post in a different forum as well.

I expect Warp Speed is in the current current century - leaf springs in passenger cars started phasing out about 100 years ago ;)

Jokes aside, yes, pickups ride better than ever before, but no way can they be compared to the way decent* passenger cars ride - coil setups have advanced all the same, and aren't hamstrung by design specs that need to be able to carry a ton in the back.

* excludes Honda, BMW and anything with an AMG badge :P

I'm just waiting for Warpee to come down off the ceiling ... he didn't read or maybe understand what I wrote so as I had a few minutes to spare I knocked up a reply with a slight bit of humour (or humor) included ... actually my V-Cross rides reasonably well ... but what a change if you increase tyre pressures above those recommended.

I quite often read his posts .... they help make my day.

I expect Warp Speed is in the current current century - leaf springs in passenger cars started phasing out about 100 years ago wink.png

Jokes aside, yes, pickups ride better than ever before, but no way can they be compared to the way decent* passenger cars ride - coil setups have advanced all the same, and aren't hamstrung by design specs that need to be able to carry a ton in the back.

* excludes Honda, BMW and anything with an AMG badge tongue.png

Thanxs for saving me the time and frustration to respond to that nonsensical post, I'd elect as most senseless of post of the year. It seems JAS is the one living in the wrong century thinking that any pick up is anything close to a sports car, "but not around corners" cheesy.gif now or ever . That's just hysterical as that's the massive difference between a standard car and a "sports car" let alone a pick up truck, besides their power, it's how they handle that power in the twisty bits that distinguishes them from the daily grocery or manure fetcher whistling.gif ..

I'm just waiting for Warpee to come down off the ceiling ... he didn't read or maybe understand what I wrote so as I had a few minutes to spare I knocked up a reply with a slight bit of humour (or humor) included ... actually my V-Cross rides reasonably well ... but what a change if you increase tyre pressures above those recommended.

I quite often read his posts .... they help make my day.

No humor just idiocy and mindlessness behind it, like the ignorant comment about raising your tire pressures going up hill is the post of a simple minded person, it contains no humor whatsoever and demonstrates that you are the one that is having difficulty understanding the topic and the technical responses to it. Jesus wept, why do I even bother?

• 2 weeks later...

Morning folks. yesterday I replaced my Maxxis Mudder Buckshots after 8,128 km (Strictly Off-Road)

Had Bridgestone V-Steel Lug 301s on my other vehicle and they had to be replaced at 16,000 km (same off-road conditions)

These are austere off road conditions so don't let the actual numbers freak you out. I only want to illustrate that the Bridegstones lasted twice as long.

Was being a cheapskate ...

Left CNX enroute Trat. Bought 2 new front tires, and left the rears on. Manufactured 2010.

South of Kamphaeng Phet started to get a little vibration. Road surface ?

By the 9 ring road vibration had increased to where the steering wheel was shaking a bit.

Buddy in Pattaya - lived there years - knows a good tire shop. One of the old rear tires had begun to have the belt separate. Once off the rim you could see that the tread was misaligned aprox 50mm in one spot.

Total tread depth remaining greater than 50%.

Being cheap is never cheap.

• 2 months later...

Was being a cheapskate ...

Left CNX enroute Trat. Bought 2 new front tires, and left the rears on. Manufactured 2010.

South of Kamphaeng Phet started to get a little vibration. Road surface ?

By the 9 ring road vibration had increased to where the steering wheel was shaking a bit.

Buddy in Pattaya - lived there years - knows a good tire shop. One of the old rear tires had begun to have the belt separate. Once off the rim you could see that the tread was misaligned aprox 50mm in one spot.

Total tread depth remaining greater than 50%.

Being cheap is never cheap.

Hi I need to get the tracking done & one tyre replaced do you have directions for the tyre place in Pattaya , cheers

Hi I need to get the tracking done & one tyre replaced do you have directions for the tyre place in Pattaya , cheers

Sukumvit northbound, north of Pattaya Nua, LH side of road, Tire Plus if memory serves. Green sign. Before the clock sign across the road.

Ok guys - sorry if this has been covered, what pressure do you use for your truck tyres? I have my Geolanders set at 31 all around, seems a bit soft if loaded but ok if empty.

30 all round on my Triton, any more than that and the ride is too hard for around town unladen.

on the new Vios and then the new Mazda 2, we got about 12 months on the battery, and 40K on the tyres, swapped them for good tyres and good batteries at the one year mark we do 40-50k a year)

Interesting the Ford Everest came with good tyres, 80 k and I suspect another 40k left in them

on the new Vios and then the new Mazda 2, we got about 12 months on the battery, and 40K on the tyres, swapped them for good tyres and good batteries at the one year mark we do 40-50k a year)

Interesting the Ford Everest came with good tyres, 80 k and I suspect another 40k left in them

Yup, bought a family member going to Uni the Mazda 2 a few years ago, came with crappy Dunlops that only lasted about 40k. Not sure why Mazda puts inferior tires on their B Segment cars (not sure on the new model just out?). If you look at Honda, they put good Bridgestones them.

Walking around town recently, I didn't see any tyres that had been balanced. Mine aren't either and I have never had the vibration problems associated with certain speeds.

Truck tyre pressure: If I was going to load 2 tons of concrete I would increase pressure, unloaded or lightly loaded as I mostly was, lower pressure.

I'm supposed to have 33 on the front of my Nissan, most air stations (if you can find one) will only give you up to 30.

Walking around town recently, I didn't see any tyres that had been balanced. Mine aren't either and I have never had the vibration problems associated with certain speeds.

Truck tyre pressure: If I was going to load 2 tons of concrete I would increase pressure, unloaded or lightly loaded as I mostly was, lower pressure.

I'm supposed to have 33 on the front of my Nissan, most air stations (if you can find one) will only give you up to 30.

Yes, very unlikely to see any balance weights ... attaching weights to the outside is long gone ... modern way is to fit them on the inside of the wheel.

Nobody fits new tyres without balancing.

Places like B Quick and Eagle, to name but two, will give you whatever pressure you ask for ... of course you should put in whatever pressure that the vehicle manufacturer recommends ... unless of course you know better than the manufacturer who ,developed and tested the vehicle whistling.gif

"very unlikely to see any balance weights ... attaching weights to the outside is long gone ... modern way is to fit them on the inside of the wheel".

Sorry to disagree.

A well balanced wheel can have weights on the inside as well as the outside.

wink.png

"very unlikely to see any balance weights ... attaching weights to the outside is long gone ... modern way is to fit them on the inside of the wheel".

Sorry to disagree.

A well balanced wheel can have weights on the inside as well as the outside.

wink.png

You can disagree as much as you like but attaching weights to the outside is long gone

And of course the rules of physics haven't changed ... A well balanced wheel can have weights on the inside as well as the outside... yes you are correct about that.

On Trucks with steel rims they are most certainly not long gone.They still bang em on the outside of older allys too if you dont tell em.New Alloys dont have the Lip anymore to smash em onto and cluck up the finish fortunately..thumbsup.gif

My pick up has 190,000 km on Bridgestones.

Just bought some new Bridgestone LEO 677 for my pick up after about 120.000 km.

Please be aware that they also try to sell their old tires, but all tires have their manufacturing date on it.

They're trying to sell me some tires that were already sitting at the shop for two years.

I have weights on the outside of my Vigo alloy rims............w00t.gif ...............But I don't care...........laugh.png

They did that to the first two new tires, until I had to tell them to do it again. I've got mine balanced, but the weights are invisible.

Time to tell your mechanics to do a better job, Trans...facepalm.gif

I have weights on the outside of my Vigo alloy rims............w00t.gif ...............But I don't care...........laugh.png

They did that to the first two new tires, until I had to tell them to do it again. I've got mine balanced, but the weights are invisible.

Time to tell your mechanics to do a better job, Trans...facepalm.gif

Hes getting old,so he dont care, cant bend down anymore to check the Pressures 3 times a day.biggrin.png

It is quite normal to put weight on both the inside and outside of the rim. This is to compensate for side-to-side imbalance.

In the old days of steel rims and hammer-on weights, quite common.

No difference now. If you have any doubts about the strength of the wheels you have, ensure they are Forged, not cast.

But I have seen very few forged wheels in LOS. If you find them, bring Big $$$

Sorry guys, I don't believe you all got 120,000 plus kilos on your tires. Not possible, maybe some memory loss. If you went that far on your tires you would be riding on the core of the tire and it would be very unsafe.

I finally changed mine at 192,000 km from new. They didn't stick to the road well and squealed in turns. I found a small piece of tread separating and decided safety was more important with the rainy season approching and the wife driving.

There was one wacko on here told me I was stupid and only needed to align the front tires. I failed to see that logic with the rears. All squeals stopped immediately as soon as the the new tires were fitted. Alignment was checked and it was good.

Sorry guys, I don't believe you all got 120,000 plus kilos on your tires. Not possible, maybe some memory loss. If you went that far on your tires you would be riding on the core of the tire and it would be very unsafe.

I finally changed mine at 192,000 km from new. They didn't stick to the road well and squealed in turns. I found a small piece of tread separating and decided safety was more important with the rainy season approching and the wife driving.

There was one wacko on here told me I was stupid and only needed to align the front tires. I failed to see that logic with the rears. All squeals stopped immediately as soon as the the new tires were fitted. Alignment was checked and it was good.

Could have been underinflated sad.png

Archived