Elephant dressed as Santa Clause to celebrate Christmas in Thailand

webfact

Elephant dressed as Santa Clause to celebrate Christmas in Thailand
RUNGROJ YONGRIT
EPA

30250570-01_big.jpg

AYUTTHAYA: -- Thai mahouts (elephant handlers) and elephants dressed as Santa Claus entertain and distribute presents to pupils during Christmas celebrations at a school in the world heritage city of Ayutthaya,north of Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday.

The annual event is held to celebrate the Christmas season.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Elephant-dressed-as-Santa-Clause-to-celebrate-Chri-30250570.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-24

"Thai mahouts (elephant handlers) and elephants dressed as Santa Claus entertain and distribute presents to pupils during Christmas celebrations at a school in the world heritage city of Ayutthaya,north of Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday."

One more inhumane act perpetrated in the name of a worshiped deity. And in this case, these folks aren't even believers. Unless they pray to the god of greed.

• Like 1

I wonder what PETA would think of this?

And why does a Buddhist country even recognize this celebration. If you walk around Central Plaza in Khon Kaen you cannot escape the xmas decorations.

With that said I am agnostic, but we have a xmas tree set up at home and my kids are eagerly looking forward to opening the presents under it at "death o'clock" tomorrow morning.

and the mahouts dressed as santa will be lying drunk on the side of the road on boxing day to make it complete

You KNOW this for a FACT do you?

Perhaps you woke up alongside one of them last year!

it was a lighthearted joke referring to the drunk shopping mall santas found on boxing day morning in usa etc, ... jeez... you having menopause probs?

How very Christian of them..............................

Don't know how long you have been living in Thailand but may be you haven't noticed they are Buddhists and not Christians.

After being a member here for more than 6 years you still don't recognize Mr Sarcasm??coffee1.gif

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.....................biggrin.png

• Like 1

I wonder what PETA would think of this?

And why does a Buddhist country even recognize this celebration. If you walk around Central Plaza in Khon Kaen you cannot escape the xmas decorations.

With that said I am agnostic, but we have a xmas tree set up at home and my kids are eagerly looking forward to opening the presents under it at "death o'clock" tomorrow morning.

....................."And why does a Buddhist country even recognize this celebration."................................

Good question, and one of the many things I admire about Thai people, the fact that they are so tolerant and respectful of the fact that some people follow a religion or faith other than their own.

From our condo in Chiang Mai I often hear the sounds from the Mosque across the other side of the Night Bazaar.

................."but we have a xmas tree set up at home and my kids are eagerly looking forward to opening the presents under it at "death o'clock" tomorrow morning."........................

Reminds me of a funny quote I heard years ago, "Christmas is the time of year when we reward unruly, ill-mannered, rude and nasty little brats who have misbehaved all year, by showering them in gifts." biggrin.png When you think about it, in some cases it is true.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I thought they had an elephant dressed as Santa at one of the shopping centers in Australia one Xmas a few years ago, then I realized it was just one of the staff.

You ought to see some on the mine sites, the butt sisters come to mind.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How very Christian of them..............................

Don't know how long you have been living in Thailand but may be you haven't noticed they are Buddhists and not Christians.

After being a member here for more than 6 years you still don't recognize Mr Sarcasm??coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.....................biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png>

Especially Xmas Morningcoffee1.gif

I thought they had an elephant dressed as Santa at one of the shopping centers in Australia one Xmas a few years ago, then I realized it was just one of the staff.

You ought to see some on the mine sites, the butt sisters come to mind.

Some of them look like a D9 wearing hi-viz coming at you. (When I work in Australia it is on coal mining sites)

Quite often in Woolworths I have to do a u-turn in the aisle because one of them will be taking up the entire aisle and you can't get round them. Seriously scary.

Do these Thais even have any idea what the true meaning of Christmas is? Dressing these elephants up as Santa Claus and parading them around for entertainment is really bottom feeding.

No, the average Thai probably does not know what the true meaning of Xmas is. But I think if you asked 100 western people 90 of them would get it wrong as well.

Most kids think it is all about Santa bringing them gifts, that's all.

• Like 1