Train crushes Dutch tourist to death in grisly accident in Thailand

webfact

This is not about lack of Thai safety standards.

But a combination of the victim not being aware and his adventurous spirit!!

When you bungy-jump, you take risks!!

Yes we all have to be careful, but please do not make Thailand into another boring western nanny state!!

I wasn't there and cannot comment on the awareness or adventuresome spirit of the man with much credibility.

What I do know is that people slip, stumble, misjudge when walking.

I do know that people sometimes suffer from vision impairment or other medical conditions that affect depth perception, heights, etc. I don't know the man or his medical history.

I do know that safety regulations often prevent people from being seriously injured or killed. The challenge is to temper regulation with a safe environment. Else, I suppose, let the government abolish traffic signals, railings, wiring insulation, warning signs, sidewalks, etc.

RIP and condolences to the family

What was he doing outside on the stairs when the train was moving?

Why did the train leave when not all passengers were inside?

You have ridden on the train, right?

All sorts of shenanigans going on.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

Enough. We are not stupid.. trains are big and uncaring..people are soft...we get the point without the graphic innuendos.

The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month.

I recall at least one of them was also deadly. For sure nothing wrong with the service, only the passengers to blame

Actually, there is no service. I have seen, in other countries, uniformed employees who watch out for things like this. The train comes to a complete stop, all passengers debark/embark, final check for strays and closed doors, then the whistles are sounded and train leaves.

Big heavy piece of equipment.....people don't take due care. Then there's the people that drive ride and walk out in front of them.

The weight of the train ensure human bone is minded to powder. Human torsos are sliced like a knife through soft butter.

Lovely sensitive post same for your first effort.....NOT

The fact that there have been 3 incidents this months (and I quote) "The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month.

This may point to there being a safety concern with this train service.

If safety was a priority then there should be no normal circumstances where a father with his family could be killed using this transport. When I say "normal" i mean getting on and off the train etc. I doubt very much there was any unusual activity being performed by the man. So it is fairly safe to assume the safety of the service is in question here.

From the OP:

A Dutch tourist was killed when he slipped from the stairs of a moving Nam Tok train and fell on the tracks and ground over by its wheels

The train WAS moving, so he would not have been getting on or off ....well, should not have been.

So I would say he was doing something "unusual" ....leaning out to get a video or photo perhaps, slipped off the steps perhaps ? So it's not the safety of the service but his actions that are in question.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 2

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

Surely you are not suggesting that people should not be responsible for their own actions and safety.

Last week I was on a tour boat out from Koh Chang. This was a snorkelling trip and in a period of 5 hours there were two incidents where the Thai crew had to pluck Farang men from the water. Neither man was wearing a lifejacket, one had a heart problem and had forgotten his medication and the other had breathing problems.

The conduct of the Thai crew was exemplary but one has to wonder about the behaviour of the Farang. It is not just a them and us distribution of safety awareness.

• Like 2

One of the reasons this railway attracts so many tourists is because it does not meet modern safety standards. if the trains and bridges were exactly like the ones you have in your safety obsessed conscious western world maybe they would be too boring to visit.

Yes the tourist should be better informed about the differences between Thailand and the perfectly "safe" west, but when a tourist chooses to visit Thailand he cannot expect the same standards to apply and must take some additional efforts to adapt.

Nobody deserves to be killed this way on Xmas eve, but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country.

"...but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country."

This accident happened in Thailand, not in a third world country.

• Like 1

.......and nobody saw anything.....or knows anything...except seeing him.... after the fact.....???

...only the witnesses who were quoted in the OP.

"As the train was leaving Ban Pupong station, witnesses said he was seen falling down from the stairs of the moving train and trapped in between two train carriages. He was dragged onto the tracks and ground by the running wheels on the middle of the body."

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

In a country where they are about to build a spanking new high speed rail link courtesy of the wolf in a pandas clothing, one might think they can afford to improve the safety and f the existing network. There are too many people losing their lives through a form of transport that should be able to be of the safest. Why make excuses when really none are 'fair'. Fair would be to sort out the problems and respect the lives of their customers.

• Like 1

This train stops and accelerates quickly before people (mainly tourists) have been able to find a seat. The safety of this part Kanchanaburi railroad and maintenance of wooden bridges is awful. The article mentions only the Christian names of the victim, not the family name. Again a total unnecessary horrible accident in a country where safety standards are not met. Railway of Thailand should be ashamed of themselves. And TAT keeps shouting their positive forecasts.

One of the reasons this railway attracts so many tourists is because it does not meet modern safety standards. if the trains and bridges were exactly like the ones you have in your safety obsessed conscious western world maybe they would be too boring to visit.

Yes the tourist should be better informed about the differences between Thailand and the perfectly "safe" west, but when a tourist chooses to visit Thailand he cannot expect the same standards to apply and must take some additional efforts to adapt.

Nobody deserves to be killed this way on Xmas eve, but let us leave the Nanny State mentality at home when we come to a third world country.

You only need a guy with a whistle. And he blows the whistle when everybody is safely on board. Ever checked that train? Counted the number of (fatal) incidents during 2014?

"The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month."

A haunted Train?

RIP to the victim - condolences to family and friends!

They, unfortunately, do not call it "The Death Railway" for nothing. Thousands gave their lives building it and many have died riding it. But still it is a very popular tourist attraction nearly 60 years after the movie.

http://www.scottmurray.com/bridge.htm

Can you ease up on the graphic descriptions first thing in the morning please?

I'm having my breakfast.

ah, poor baby

His Family name is Hieronymus, as the article states: Mr Hieronymus Cornelis Maria, the latter ones being his first names, but why is that important? i think the quote "The incident was the third involving the Thonburi-Nam Tok train in a month." says it all.

Something must have been wrong with those stairs or the railing missing or something. Even after two incidents in the month before no actionwas taken of course.

That's why I would never go in a roller coaster, ferris wheel, bungy jump or anything that needs proper engineering and maintenance in Thailand....

"His Family name is Hieronymus, as the article states"

For the second time (#15) ... The family name is Bourmans. I have seen a copy of his passport. Just stating this for the record, thanks.

RIP, Mr Bourmans, and deepest condolences to your family.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i dont think your comment is fair ''yet'',yes standards here are poor,but in some cases the tourist is to blame...unless you know some facts we are not aware of..cheers

Don't blame the tourists when this happens time and again. In a civilized country the rail road company would be held responsible and this "avoidable" accident would be prevented. Is there not even a semblance of decency here?

Why not blame the tourist they do need to take some responsibility for their own safty like find a seat and sit down

• Like 1