Chicken shrine?

christor13

Was King Narasuan down that way a few hundred years ago? He and his army used to fight the Burmese from the backs of elephants, many places up here in the north have commemorative monuments to him where he won battles and some of them have hundreds of these concrete chickens around the monuments as the King loved chickens. I often tell Thai's that he probably liked eating chickens which never goes down well.

• 1 month later...

A single domestication event occurring in the region of modern Thailand which created the modern chicken breeds. In other words - all modern domesticated chicken breeds are Thai in origin. This is why you see lots of vary large Chickens all around Thailand.

A single domestication event occurring in the region of modern Thailand which created the modern chicken breeds. In other words - all modern domesticated chicken breeds are Thai in origin. This is why you see lots of vary large Chickens all around Thailand.

Have a link for that?

Because the oldest bones found are from Hebei province in China at 5400 BC. As Thailand had no Thai at the time (but rather Hoabinhian) I am a bit incredulous about such a claim.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0039171

Have a link for that?

Because the oldest bones found are from Hebei province in China at 5400 BC. As Thailand had no Thai at the time (but rather Hoabinhian) I am a bit incredulous about such a claim.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0039171

Not in modern Thailand but the area ( region of modern ) that is now Thailand. To say Thai in origin is a miss speak - I am mean to simple say this area is claimed to be the source from the jungle bird and as a result Thailand sort of claims the chicken boosting rights and is the main reason you see the vary large chickens in nearly every province.

There is a small shrine tucked away just south of Cape Promthep on Phuket which is unique to my experience of Thai shrines, temples etc.

From memory it is called Som Nuk Song (sp).

It is a small glass-enclosed room featuring 2m high statues of 6 Samurai-type warriors with rooster statues at their feet.

Apparently it commemorates the battles mentioned above when the Thai King won a c*ckfight against the Burmese king, avoiding massive bloodshed.

The young Prince Naresuan was held hostage (along with a number of other Siamese princes) by the Burmese to ensure the good behaviour of the now subjugated Ayutthaya kingdom. During that time he became good friends with the Burmese Crown Prince. However, over time their friendship drifted apart because Naresuan was better than the Crown Prince at martial contests - he was the superior warrior.

The final straw was when Naresuan's cockerel defeated the Burmese Prince's cockerel. The Prince then referred disparagingly to Naresuan's cockerel as a "war slave". This made Naresuan determined to escape and to free Ayutthaya from the Burmese.

This is the legend that the cockerels commemorate. However, they are not traditional. They only started to appear after the legend was depicted in a popular film about King Naresuan.

• 2 weeks later...

Not in modern Thailand but the area ( region of modern ) that is now Thailand. To say Thai in origin is a miss speak - I am mean to simple say this area is claimed to be the source from the jungle bird and as a result Thailand sort of claims the chicken boosting rights and is the main reason you see the vary large chickens in nearly every province.

First apologies, I didn't seem to subscribe to this thread. (?)

The claim is made by whom? Where can I read up on it?

The link I gave had the following below which is indicative that a Thai region origin theory is a bit far fetched.

As of March 2011 modern chicken mtDNA sequences deposited in Genbank (n = 2118), in which the geographic origins were actually documented, were dominated by samples from China (~37%) and lack a significant cohort of sequences from other regions of Southeast Asia such as India (~11.7%), Vietnam (~7.3%), Korea (~2.4%), Thailand (~1.2%), and Burma (~0.5%).

First apologies, I didn't seem to subscribe to this thread. (?)

The claim is made by whom? Where can I read up on it?

The link I gave had the following below which is indicative that a Thai region origin theory is a bit far fetched.

As of March 2011 modern chicken mtDNA sequences deposited in Genbank (n = 2118), in which the geographic origins were actually documented, were dominated by samples from China (~37%) and lack a significant cohort of sequences from other regions of Southeast Asia such as India (~11.7%), Vietnam (~7.3%), Korea (~2.4%), Thailand (~1.2%), and Burma (~0.5%).

If I recall it was in the wiki page related to the subject - been some time - the same question came up years ago and that was as I recalled the answer relating to the jungle bird.