Why do locals never know where or how far things are?

ocejanic

I have realized during the past few weeks (being on Samui) that I nearly never got a useful answer from locals (and I am not talking about passers-by, but about resident shop owners or assistants) when asking for directions of any kind. Why is this? Are they completely ignorant of their surrounding? Does it change so quickly and regularly that they have given up updating their inner map? Have all the (around fifteen) people I have asked coincidentally been flown in from far away a few days before?

And it's not that I am asking a fruit vendor where to find the nearest interior designer. No, I'm talking about asking the scooter garage where I could fix a car tyre. I'm talking about asking a pharmacist if there is a child doctor around. I'm talking about asking the Kodak photo shop where I could find a printing/copy/fax service in the vicinity. I'm talking about asking a beach resort receptionist where to find the closest public access to the beach. I ask with the kindest manner, greeting in Thai, smiling, whatever.

They never know.

And as to distances/ time to get somewhere: On the rare occasion that some one actually did know the answer, there seemed to be only two kinds of distances:

"5 minutes", meaning something like anything between 10 meters and 1 km.

"too far to walk" was anything above 1 km.

Am I alone with my observations or is it well-known and has been talked over a hundreds of times already?

• Like 2

OP, it must be you.

Never had any problems from Thais giving me directions, although have to admit that it can take a long time to get the final answer, after hearing the story of their life.................

But being retired, I have all the time in the world, but at the end I get there.

• Like 1

When I am out on my mt. bike looking for new trails in my area I often get conflicting advice on where to go or how to get there. More often than not they say the best way is to go back the way I have come. I usually continue on and ask for a second opinion from someone further down the trail. Some find it unfathomable that I don’t want to backtrack and don’t mind taking a longer route if I can create a loop trail.

They definitely have a different way of orienting themselves and referencing landmarks but it is not that hard to get used to. Unless your Thai is pretty good, they could be having difficulty understanding what you want or lack the vocabulary to explain what is so clear in their own minds that they never think about it.
  • Like 1

The OP says that he asks with the kindest manner, greeting in Thai, smiling, whatever. But can he speak Thai proficiently enough to ask for directions in a clear and precise manner?

In many instances some Thais may appear to speak reasonable English but in actuality only know the most basics of English language and often try to guess what is being mentioned but in fact can become confused once it starts going into detail.

My Thai language skills are appalling but I have learned enough of the basics to get by and usually don`t have any problems. I found that most Thais can be knowledgable providing everything is explained to them in ways they understand.

OP, it must be you.

Never had any problems from Thais giving me directions, although have to admit that it can take a long time to get the final answer, after hearing the story of their life.................

But being retired, I have all the time in the world, but at the end I get there.

aint that the truth, many yes or no conversations become 30 minutes

It's the same in many countries all over this planet...

In the last century I was a trucker; went many times to Italy or Germany or...( from France );

remember once in Italy ; I asked a person in a town ;

I had the address of the mill where I had to go on a paper..

He can read and want to send me at the opposite of the city even when I was in the entrance of the mill !! whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Only one country where I didn't have any problem : England ; policemen were always very kind with me- a long time ago, don't know if it's the same now -

Maybe because as a french man I can speak english with them ? and they can understand me !

It doesn't just happen when a farang asks a Thai. I've seen it happen countless times when a Thai I'm with asks another Thai.

Yesterday was a prime example. Was with a Thai girl looking for a (famous) restaurant. We knew which soi it was in but not which direction the soi was. We asked about 8 different people from street vendors to security guards to people working in True Move coffee shop.

No one was able to tell us which direction the soi was. We knew it wasn't far (the next soi down as it happens) but just not what direction we should be walking. No one else knew either, apparently.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

OP, it must be you.

I don't know where you live and who you have spoken to, but it seems weird that you had such an opposite experience. Strange as it is. I totally agree with the op. I have almost never got the right answer, but were usually sent to the wrong place. / Just an example: I was looking for a shop in a village. We stopped in front of a small shop where the owner and his company were sitting and they had no idea where that certain place was. Later it turned out that the shop was within 100 metres. /

I asked my Thai wife what her opinion is and, well, she agrees with the op. Asking Thais for direction is rarely a good idea.

Edited by garrya

Yesterday was a prime example. Was with a Thai girl looking for a (famous) restaurant. We knew which soi it was in but not which direction the soi was. We asked about 8 different people from street vendors to security guards to people working in True Move coffee shop.

No one was able to tell us which direction the soi was. We knew it wasn't far (the next soi down as it happens) but just not what direction we should be walking. No one else knew either, apparently.

The people you asked can't read or write Thai.

If you can't read street signs you only know the name of the road in which you live.

Generally Thais who can't read or write will know the temple names, navigate by temple.

I had a farang friend coming to visit me.20 meters from my home he asked a Thai lady (my wifes aunt) where my home was.She sent him to the next village. Another Thai sent him back. Later my wife asked her aunt ,why you send farang to next village?

Inever see him before was the answer, so not only Thai people not knowing how far ,they will say they dont know relatives.

• Like 1

Poor English skills.

They don't have the English skills to describe it to you so say the words they do know.

"5 minutes" and "too far" are easy English phrases to remember.

But I assume they know the numbers from 1 to 10, right? Or, if not, they could show the appropriate figure with their fingers??

To me it seems their shortcomings are not how to express something, be it verbally with body language. Just imagine, if I were asked by a Thai about a shop, and I'd understand WHAT he/she means, and if I knew the directions, I could quite easily explain with my arms, hands and fingers. I would be able to point out, say, 500 m (5, 0, 0 with my fingers).

Their problems seems to be a lack of differentiation. Or am I mistaken, biased, prejudiced? I just want to understand.

Maybe it has to do with that they never walk but drive ( scooter mostly)? Have they thus list the sense of "walkable" distances? Every place I want to walk to further than 2 km seems " too far, cannot walk". But that last thing could again fill another topic.

Edited by ocejanic
  • Like 1

Everyone drives/rides everywhere, even if it is 20 meters down the road, therefor they have never taken the time to look around and note soi numbers, shop names etc.

If the soi/shop is one that they have experienced first hand, they can tell you exactly how to get there, otherwise it is a mystery to them too.

To prove my point, next time ask for directions to somewhere you are sure they would know, not an obscure print shop or paediatrician, but say, a major supermarket.

Is this the reason why the motorbike taxi guy wanted to have 200 Baht for the one kilometre ride to TESCO? He doesn't know if it's one or ten kilometres far if he can't actually SEE it? ( it was around the corner. I didn't know). Or was I just being farranged?

• Like 1