US plagued by doubts as it exits Afghan war

Lite Beer

US plagued by doubts as it exits Afghan war

By Dan De Luce

1419650418_1-org.jpg

In this photograph taken on December 11, 2014, an Afghan National Army soldier is followed by three village boys while walking in the compound of the mosque where Mullah Omar founded the Taliban movement 20 years ago is located in the village of Sangesar. At the mosque where Mullah Omar founded the Taliban movement 20 years ago, villagers are weighing up whether to side with the insurgents or the government as the United States ends its long war in Afghanistan. AFP PHOTO/Roberto SCHMIDT

WASHINGTON: After 13 years, the United States is winding down its war in Afghanistan, plagued by doubts about what was accomplished at such a high cost.

Instead of a sense of triumph at the close of the longest conflict in America's history, there is mostly regret and fatigue over a war that claimed the lives of more than 2,300 American troops and cost more than a trillion dollars.

US commanders insist the Afghan security forces will hold the line in a stalemate with the Taliban. But some officials fear a repeat of Iraq, in which an American-trained army virtually collapsed in the face of a jihadist onslaught.

A large majority of Americans now say the war was not worth it, and only 23 percent of US soldiers believe the mission has been a success, according to recent polls.

But when it began, the war enjoyed overwhelming support and victory seemed within reach.

Less than a month after Al-Qaeda's attacks of September 11, 2001, president George W. Bush captured the nation's sense of righteous anger as he announced military action in Afghanistan in a televised address in October.

The goal was to "disrupt the use of Afghanistan as a terrorist base of operations," Bush said, and to attack the Taliban regime that had hosted Al-Qaeda and refused to hand over its leaders.

- Toppling the Taliban -

US objectives were met with stunning speed. Al-Qaeda training camps were wiped out and Northern Alliance fighters -- backed by US-led air strikes and a small number of American special forces -- toppled the Taliban regime within a month.

For the United States, the war seemed all but over.

But the Taliban eventually regrouped from safe havens in neighboring Pakistan, even as Washington's attention shifted to a new war in Iraq.

The Taliban grew into a virulent insurgency that exploited resentment of a corrupt, ineffective government in Kabul.

The United States formed the backbone of an international force that found itself in a protracted fight with insurgents.

The US-led contingent steadily expanded -- while the goals of the war became increasingly ambitious as well.

Washington and its allies embraced the lofty ideals of nation-building, vowing to fight corruption, foster economic development, and forge a "stable, democratic state" in an impoverished land mired in war for decades.

The results were often disappointing. International aid helped build roads and schools, but it also was blamed for fueling rampant corruption, with some of the money ending up with the insurgents.

Attempts to broker peace talks with the Taliban in recent years came to nothing. Critics say Washington missed a chance at cutting a deal early in the war, when the insurgents were on the retreat.

Fighting the elusive Taliban, with their homemade bombs and Pakistani sanctuaries, proved frustrating for Western troops, who struggled to grasp the language and tribal rivalries of an alien culture.

Commanders appealed for more troops. And Washington kept sending forces "in the vain hope that something might somehow improve," wrote retired general Daniel Bolger, author of "Why We Lost."

Having reached a peak of more than 100,000 US forces, the American presence is down to about 11,000 troops, now that NATO's combat mission is over.

- 'Big test' -

The balance sheet for the campaign is decidedly mixed.

The intervention deprived Al-Qaeda of a sanctuary, ousted the Taliban from power, eased the repression of women and created an Afghan army that could make it difficult for the insurgents to return to their once dominant role, analysts said.

But Al-Qaeda -- even after its leader Osama bin Laden was killed by US commandos -- has spawned cells elsewhere and inspired new extremists in Syria and Iraq, while women's advances are fragile and could easily unravel.

The Taliban may no longer run ministries but they are far from defeated and could yet turn the tide against the Kabul government's army, which has suffered unsustainably high casualties and desertions.

"The Taliban have nowhere near the power they did in 2001, but they are certainly not finished," said Vanda Felbab-Brown, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution think tank.

US officials hope a huge investment in the Afghan security forces will pay off, but already the insurgents have clawed back control in some areas in the south where American troops have pulled out.

The newly created security force, riddled with ethnic divisions, remains "a question mark," Felbab-Brown said.

"Next year is a big test for them," said Carter Malkasian, author of a book on the war who worked as a US diplomat for two years in southern Helmand province.

"If they lose ground, that's an indication that this war is going to keep going," he told AFP.

"If that happens, the Taliban are going to get bolder, because the Taliban are not going to see a reason to negotiate."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/us-plagued-by-doubts-as-it-exits-afghan-war-50330.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-27

Their failure to kill Bin Laden in Afghanistan gave Bush part of the excuse to invade Iraq. i have read that they had Bin Laded and his mob, cornered in Tora Bora Mountains and they "Escaped". Had they havebeen captured or killed in that would have been it for the War on Terror , the bogeyman would be gone and US public would have been duped into backing the invasion of Iraq

Edited by MJP

I find it interesting that even after all this time they still say "Al-Qaeda's attacks of September 11, 2001" and there is no evidence to prove of disprove it. The powers that be took care of that soon as they could, didn't they. "They" said they did it, but who knows. Yet still every time most of the news media speak about the wars that were started after that date and use that as a loose justification... how many Afghan people, men, women and children, have been murdered who where not even involved in any of that mess or even part of the Taliban!? coffee1.gif Of course, an important western power would never be the aggressor would they, and all that collateral damage wouldn't create "freedom fighters" would it? Imagine if the shoe was somehow on the other foot? ermm.gif

Send George Bush the bill for a stupid senseless war that should never have happened. For starting the Iraqi war he should be sent to The Hague and trial as a war criminal. Instead he sits in Texas on his ranch collecting a fat pension and periodically goes on the rubber chicken circuit to make a little pin money. People around the world have been so distracted by frivelous news story on sports, fashion, Hollywood that they do not think about the key central issues. We are a world of lemmings sheeples to be manouvered as our politicians see fit.

So the ultimate blame lies not with the politicians but the public itself. Politicians just try to do what will be popular with the public. Society is like a human being which is wired by nature to be revengeful and bullying. So the source of most wars is in our human psychology developed over thousands of years. And any change to more humane and civilised approach will take generations to become hereditary.

I find it interesting that even after all this time they still say "Al-Qaeda's attacks of September 11, 2001" and there is no evidence to prove of disprove it. The powers that be took care of that soon as they could, didn't they. "They" said they did it, but who knows. Yet still every time most of the news media speak about the wars that were started after that date and use that as a loose justification... how many Afghan people, men, women and children, have been murdered who where not even involved in any of that mess or even part of the Taliban!? coffee1.gif Of course, an important western power would never be the aggressor would they, and all that collateral damage wouldn't create "freedom fighters" would it? Imagine if the shoe was somehow on the other foot? ermm.gif

Send George Bush the bill for a stupid senseless war that should never have happened. For starting the Iraqi war he should be sent to The Hague and trial as a war criminal. Instead he sits in Texas on his ranch collecting a fat pension and periodically goes on the rubber chicken circuit to make a little pin money. People around the world have been so distracted by frivelous news story on sports, fashion, Hollywood that they do not think about the key central issues. We are a world of lemmings sheeples to be manouvered as our politicians see fit.

So the ultimate blame lies not with the politicians but the public itself. Politicians just try to do what will be popular with the public. Society is like a human being which is wired by nature to be revengeful and bullying. So the source of most wars is in our human psychology developed over thousands of years. And any change to more humane and civilised approach will take generations to become hereditary.

SO, the 'developed' aren't that developed as THEY think?

The West plagued by doubts as US exits Afghan war

Fixed the title for you.

Quite correct. I would suggest that the West has more doubts about the outcome than the USA. I have been surprised that the good folks of the USA did not go out on the streets to protest this catastrophe as they did during the Vietnam debacle.The cannon fodder now hailed as heroes, which they certainly are, will return home and in a few short months, sadly be forgotten. While the cowboy 'Bush Cassidy' and his 'Son-dance to the USAs tune' Blair, live the life of Riley and they still protest that they were honest and right.They opened a can of worms which the so called Dictators had kept the lid on and it has left most Arab nations, and a good part of the world, in turmoil. It will be my grandchildren who will suffer the consequences of those two posturing imbeciles actions.

• Like 1

SO, the 'developed' aren't that developed as THEY think?

Well, we are perfectly 'developed' for the natural conditions of fierce competition and strife for dominance. This is what mother nature wanted, certainly in the past. I guess there is arguably less cut throat competition now but we are still far from the world of plenty for all where people and countries don't compete against each other and therefore the abovementioned adaptations are useful and are valued on the current stage of the evolutionary process. But I've been taught that a conflict is one of the engines of progress so to speak so I suspect wars will with us forever to keep the evolutionary development going.

a trillion dollar... now imagine how much could have ment that for education or a plan for free universal healtcare, in that other land of free

No, it shouldn't have been spent at all. It wasn't excess money.

NIH is breaking the UK and it sucks. The US system works just fine and no one can be denied health care. The service, speed and quality exceeds the UK.

The UK has more debt per capita than the US, yet UK plonkers are forever going on about US debt. It's the UK that's in trouble with its economy, debt, and high taxes. LINK to debt.

The US economy is in high gear and doing better than it has in a decade. The UK and Australia's economies can't get going because the people are taxed too much and things cost too much.

The U.S. economy roared into overdrive in the third quarter as consumer and business spending fueled the biggest expansion in more than a decade.

There's no such thing as a free lunch and that includes not only in the military but with health care.

Now get your nose out of the air.

• Like 1

None of American interventions all over the world was a success, just more innocent civilians killed, installing corrupted regimes and creating more hatred (with a reason in some cases) towards USA.

All the bullshit of values American politicians seem to be proud of are never defended and praised elsewhere.

Edited by Petchou
  • Like 2

None of American interventions all over the world was a success, just more innocent civilians killed, installing corrupted regimes and creating more hatred (with a reason in some cases) towards USA.

All the bullshit of values American politicians seem to be proud of are never defended and praised elsewhere.

I'll never understand this. The UK provided 1/3 of the troops for the initial invasion of Iraq. That's more troops per capita from the UK than from the US.

20 other countries provided troops for the war in Iraq.

How can people continue to be so blind as to blame it all on the US? HOW???

I think people from the UK must just be intentionally blind.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

I remember working as a news editor on a global tv agency in the days of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rumsfeld and Cheney imposed a blanket ban on pictures of dead US servicemen being returned to the UK and there were no military ceremonies.

Vietnam taught the hawks that dead Americans did big damage to their cause.

At least in the UK the dead got a decent send off.

• Like 1

I'll never understand this. The UK provided 1/3 of the troops for the initial invasion of Iraq. That's more troops per capita from the UK than from the US.

The reason nobody talk about UK is because they are just american's puppy.

They have never decided for anything, just blindly executing what their masters decide.

Everyone can say what they want about this action in the middle east however in truth a lot of good has come out of the intervention. History will be the judge of this.

That's not middle east Buddy... Go look for a map or geography 101.

They have never decided for anything, just blindly executing what their masters decide.

Not according to what I heard Blair preaching to Parliament back in the day. He was saying that Saddam had WMD's and must be stopped. Parliament approved it.

BTW if 22 people rob a bank, you can't just blame one person. They all get nailed.

I think people from the UK must just be intentionally blind to exhonerate themselves and blame all on the US.

Hypocrites.

• Like 2

Not according to what I heard Blair preaching to Parliament back in the day. He was saying that Saddam had WMD's and must be stopped. Parliament approved it.

BTW if 22 people rob a bank, you can't just blame one person. They all get nailed.

I think people from the UK must just be intentionally blind to exhonerate themselves and blame all on the US.

Hypocrites.

I am not from UK.

Is Colin Powell and all the enraged con's from Republican party who first mentioned WMD.

Blair played role of voice of his master. Nothing more. I am not denying role played by UK and all dictatorial Arab regimes who participated too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

a trillion dollar... now imagine how much could have ment that for education or a plan for free universal healtcare, in that other land of free

No, it shouldn't have been spent at all. It wasn't excess money.

NIH is breaking the UK and it sucks. The US system works just fine and no one can be denied health care. The service, speed and quality exceeds the UK.

The UK has more debt per capita than the US, yet UK plonkers are forever going on about US debt. It's the UK that's in trouble with its economy, debt, and high taxes. LINK to debt.

The US economy is in high gear and doing better than it has in a decade. The UK and Australia's economies can't get going because the people are taxed too much and things cost too much.

The U.S. economy roared into overdrive in the third quarter as consumer and business spending fueled the biggest expansion in more than a decade.

There's no such thing as a free lunch and that includes not only in the military but with health care.

Now get your nose out of the air.

"The US economy is in high gear and doing better than it has in a decade."

Yes, Obama has done a sterling job.