New Year Travel Pattaya-Bangkok-Pattaya

mandee

Your best bet would be the 5th (after the morning rush) as that is the first working day (for many) and also schools will be starting then, but before that buses will be packed and traffic will be (and it's already starting) horrendous.

Best of luck.

Edited by MJCM

A quick tip - I went yesterday. When you hit Sukhumvit just after Bang Na, get off the bus at the 1st BTS station (called Suk something.) The train will save you half an hour of stop/start to Ekamai. What a dreary place that is: staff surly & it costs 3 baht for a pee!

I think there's no issue.

On the 30th there's the Exodus outbound BKK.

On the 3th and 4th the exodus inbound BKK.

In between those dates BKK is as good as a ghost town.

There are reports about the exodus already started.

Both are in the other English language newspaper.

"New Year trips cause 10km line"

"Mor Chit exodus starts early"

That fits to the fact that some members of our family have arrived during the 26th.

But from and to Pattaya is a bit of a different story I think.

There will be some stampede for the New Years Eve party (countdown).

To Pattaya on the 31st? Would not try.

From Pattaya on the 1st (afternoon) also not a good idea.

Sunday, 4th of Jan surely a no no in both directions (exodus from Pattaya back to BKK, return of Isan folks from time at home to BKK and Pattaya).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I traveled back from Khon Kaen on Friday, the traffic northbound was jam packed nose to tail all the way, many parts at a standstill, the traffic southbound was the quietest i have ever seen, i expected some traffic between Bangkok and Pattaya but it was virtually deserted, amazing!

I travelled back from Pattaya on 2 January last year and it was a nightmare. A 3+ hour wait for a bus and the bus station was packed. I ended up giving my ticket away and getting a Bell Bus to the airport (from the same bus station) as there was no wait, and then taking the Airport Link into town.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

A quick tip - I went yesterday. When you hit Sukhumvit just after Bang Na, get off the bus at the 1st BTS station (called Suk something.) The train will save you half an hour of stop/start to Ekamai. What a dreary place that is: staff surly & it costs 3 baht for a pee!

Yep. I always get off at Udom Suk to avoid the stop-and-start ride to dirty little Ekamai. And avoid any possible hungry police at Ekamai looking for a contribution to their whisky fund.

Yes, I always get off there, it can save you a lot more than half an hour, just make sure your luggage is with you on the bus.

No problem to Ekkamai 29th, got off Udom Suk, better chance of seat and time saving.

Went to Ekkamai on 30th to Check Minivan Service at Ekkamai for advance booking 3 seats on same day. No advance bookings No crowds either.

Decided on train from Phyathai on 31st

06:30, taxi driver in Silom 500 metres from Silom BTS and heading in that direction refused to take us. I told him to take us to Lumpini Police Station.

Continually grumbling he drove to the BTS as asked, One minute.

Train was bang on time 07:07. Uncrowded initially, but very crowded later, most got off at Chachengsao.

Edited by mandee

Yes, very busy both directions today on the buses. My 12:20 bus from BKK left 20 minutes late at 12:40. That never happens. Lots of people lined up at Ekamai waiting for one bus after another, about 5-10 minutes apart. At Pattaya, waiting passengers were spread all over the platform waiting area and roadway. Buses arrived 2 at a time.

The highway was virtually empty. Arrived in record time, 1 hour, 40 minutes, even with a dropoff in Laem Chabang. I've done this return trip 70 times this year alone. The worst was almost 3 hours to Pattaya, which always takes longer due to inbound dropoffs.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp