Man of the year: General Prayut Chan-o-cha

webfact

At least there is no more political protest, no violence, consumer confidence higher than ever and business getting better which Abihisit and Ying Luck can't achieve.

Exactly. For that, and the other achievements, Prayuth certainly deserves the "Man of the Year" award - heck, regardless how you feel about him, you'd have to agree that Prayuth has had the most and the most significant impact on Thailand in 2014.

He is way short of achievements. To deserve that man of the year distinction, his achievements should include military, judiciary and electorate reforms for the people and not for the elites. The economics are not impressive and the stock market tanked and he need a massive economic policies for next year. He could have stopped the protest cooperating with the previous government like he did during the Ahbisit government; not usurping power which he did not during the Ahbisit government. The pattern leading to the 2 coups are frightfully identical. Coincidence or a set-up?

"Man of the Year" is assigned to a person that has had the most, and most significant impact, on Thailand and Thai society - a point I clearly explained in the post preceding yours.

Do you deny that Prayuth has had the most significant impact on Thailand and Thai society over the past year?

At least there is no more political protest, no violence, consumer confidence higher than ever and business getting better which Abihisit and Ying Luck can't achieve.

Exactly. For that, and the other achievements, Prayuth certainly deserves the "Man of the Year" award - heck, regardless how you feel about him, you'd have to agree that Prayuth has had the most and the most significant impact on Thailand in 2014.

You do realize that not all the polls you read are 100% genuine?.

Only Thailand would think of awarding this to a Military General leading a coup to overthrow a legitimate government... dissolve parliament and rip up a constitution and there are no politics so not really any political stability either....insane logic but very very Thai giggle.gif

Adolf Hitler was named Man of the Year in 1938 and look where he ended up.

I noticed dear leader didn't even get nominated for Man of the Year 2014 so is this just another "Gift" for the people and self acolades

Add to that:

Ayatholla Khomeini (sp?)

Vladimir Putin

Richard Nixon (twice in a row!)

Looking at that list, it makes me wonder if Kim Jong-il, Nicolae Ceaușescu and Pol Pot ever made it to the runner up.

"Man of the Year" is assigned to a person that has had the most, and most significant impact, on Thailand and Thai society - a point I clearly explained in the post preceding yours.

Do you deny that Prayuth has had the most significant impact on Thailand and Thai society over the past year?

Think you meant something similar to Hilter naming 1938 man of the year. You do have a point.

Who care about the polls? Myself, family members, friends lives getting better after he took over. During protest, it was really tough in many ways, not enough income, lost of jobs etc. Now is free and easy. Edited by jeffreybangkok

One. I doubt those outside of Bangkok have consumer confidence. Regardless of the faults of the rice pleadge, farmers are not happy with rice prices today, and they will pay for big projects in the future.

Two, Consumer confidence is not an excuse for quashing freedoms and deposing an elected government.

Your silver lining is nothing less than frivolous

You are WRONG!! I travel a lot to North Eastern of Thailand where my wife family home is. They are indeed very happy with the situation now. Although her parent is not farmer but they knew a lot Of farmers there and they are happy with the money they got from the current govt. Quashing freedom?? Bullshit, we all have full freedom now unless you are a criminal or some corrupted politicians then u felt your freedom have been quashed. Thailand is not really for an elected government until they are all educated that accepting money to vote for someone is wrong. Suit yourself, not happy just leave

OMG

Here comes the "education" before allowed to vote BS excuse again. facepalm.gif

Perfect example of how messed up Thailand is when even supposedly the educated understand nothing about equality and freedoms. It begins with an equal voice and a vote and a lot of hard work and determination to progress .... not a panic and coup every few years like petulant children.

As for the Money thing, dont even get me on the Generals, Police Chief millionaires on all sides, absolutely disgusting abuse of position. Corruption filters from the very pinnacle all the way down....you wont see other than those fallen from grace brought to account and in a few years itll be rinse and repeat again, coups are all Thailand know how to do.

May as well use that as an election system its about as regular anyway. rolleyes.gif

Look before you leap. Early election in the name of democracy will definitely destroy the country further. Went back to North Eastern, before any election happen previously every single registered voters especially the farmers received between 500 - 3000 baht each to buy their vote. Majority says, as long as they got money they willing to vote for anyone. This is the fact and my wife relatives told me that. It's been happening for quite awhile and it's nothing secret. However my wife not accepting the offer by not going back to vote bcos of the vote buying. In the village, if you don't accept the offer, people will know and is like you been marked.

jeffybkk knows it all cause his wife told him,

the farmers are happy...his wife told him

we are all freeeee...his wife told him

anyone starting to see a pattern here?

when you've got actual thai male friends in issarn, not your wifes family, cousins, uncles, aunts, dogs, ones with good businesses who dont like being told "dont worry be happy"

get back to me.

• Like 1

One. I doubt those outside of Bangkok have consumer confidence. Regardless of the faults of the rice pleadge, farmers are not happy with rice prices today, and they will pay for big projects in the future.

Two, Consumer confidence is not an excuse for quashing freedoms and deposing an elected government.

Your silver lining is nothing less than frivolous

You are WRONG!! I travel a lot to North Eastern of Thailand where my wife family home is. They are indeed very happy with the situation now. Although her parent is not farmer but they knew a lot Of farmers there and they are happy with the money they got from the current govt. Quashing freedom?? Bullshit, we all have full freedom now unless you are a criminal or some corrupted politicians then u felt your freedom have been quashed. Thailand is not really for an elected government until they are all educated that accepting money to vote for someone is wrong. Suit yourself, not happy just leave

OMG

Here comes the "education" before allowed to vote BS excuse again. facepalm.gif

Perfect example of how messed up Thailand is when even supposedly the educated understand nothing about equality and freedoms. It begins with an equal voice and a vote and a lot of hard work and determination to progress .... not a panic and coup every few years like petulant children.

As for the Money thing, dont even get me on the Generals, Police Chief millionaires on all sides, absolutely disgusting abuse of position. Corruption filters from the very pinnacle all the way down....you wont see other than those fallen from grace brought to account and in a few years itll be rinse and repeat again, coups are all Thailand know how to do.

May as well use that as an election system its about as regular anyway. rolleyes.gif

Look before you leap. Early election in the name of democracy will definitely destroy the country further. Went back to North Eastern, before any election happen previously every single registered voters especially the farmers received between 500 - 3000 baht each to buy their vote. Majority says, as long as they got money they willing to vote for anyone. This is the fact and my wife relatives told me that. It's been happening for quite awhile and it's nothing secret. However my wife not accepting the offer by not going back to vote bcos of the vote buying. In the village, if you don't accept the offer, people will know and is like you been marked.

Have you been to the south? Happens there as well, it's not a PTP thing, it's a Thai thing.

My father-in-law got even a 1000 baht for voting. This fine tradition has been going on for ages.

You are demographically isolated if you rely on information from just your wife and her relatives. And then you will get the ugly picture.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costas where are you??

We need (another) good laugh!!

Actually JOC you win the 2014 awards for:

- Negative on absolutely everything associated with taking Thailand forward

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. smile.png

Pipkins ? Is that you ? cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costas where are you??

We need (another) good laugh!!

Actually JOC you win the 2014 awards for:

- Negative on absolutely everything associated with taking Thailand forward

Now that's an interesting point coming from a supporter of autocracy. smile.png

Pipkins ? Is that you ? cheesy.gif

Why? Who's asking? Whybother?

The rice farmers don't need a poll to tell them they were screwed by the Shins and were finally paid by the junta, the bent cops etc who are being taken down for corruption charges don't need a poll to tell them they are cooked, and the redshirts don't need a poll to tell them that now their paymasters are out of the picture they are not given free rein to murder innocent people on the streets.

But I do agree with what you say about polls and their authenticity. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You are aware that yourself, family members and friends are hardly representative for 60 million Thais, are you?!

But they are a lot more indicative than you and your opinion are.

I don't like polls, I think they are 99% rigged bs, which is why I prefer to ask the people who matter, the Thai people. Sometimes it just happens to be my wife and her family who I ask questions, and I can't see anything wrong with that, they are still Thais and they have no reason to lie to me.

I also ask people I know in various businesses around Chiang Mai, long time friends in Chiang Rai, farmers in Surin, and Thais who are now living in Australia.

Going by the thoughts of the majority of this broad range of people I support anyone other than the Shins to run the country.

• Like 1

It's funny how these debates go with the haters.

First, they always clamor that "it's all about the Thai people and what they think"

Then, when someone chimes in with opinions solicited directly from those very Thai people - then the tune changes to "it's not about those couple of people you talked to".

Then, when polls are listed, it becomes "you can't trust the polls", etc...

Yet, their own arguments are invariably "well, the people I spoke to told me..." and "my own cherry picked polls support my opinion".

Funny, that.

If he didn't get the award he would probably complain anyway. Let him have it.

There are two people who's position influence this country at the current time more than anyone. Prayut is just a bit part player born out by the fact that he has managed so far to clean some beaches.

Good job

• Like 2

"... Clean some beaches..." and arrest top police embroiled in corruption; and crack down on taxi abuses; and crack down on crown land encroachments; funny how you just avoid mentioning his other tasks. Cognitive dissonance must be a constant headache to you...

• Like 2

5555@ the duck, a handful of cops, a dozen land encroachments and some taxi scams......wow

not even a microscopic bacterial tip of the iceberg

talk about cognitive dissonance, any yellow elite gone down yet?, how bout some high ranking milits? or some in the edumacation system?

no crack downs, no mention....nothing nada

are you that same much dis-liked poster on the the PA forum?

First, they always clamor that "it's all about the Thai people and what they think"

Then, when someone chimes in with opinions solicited directly from those very Thai people - then the tune changes to "it's not about those couple of people you talked to".

Yet, their own arguments are invariably "well, the people I spoke to told me..." and "my own cherry picked polls support my opinion".

Funny, that.

Funny how the debates go with some people never using the quote function when bashing others for bashing. It makes it easier when you can use innuendo and rumor rather than quotes doesn't it?

I for one think that is flaming and call on you to have the courage of your convictions and stand up and call a spade a spade and use the quote function instead of nameless flames and generalizations.

You are aware that yourself, family members and friends are hardly representative for 60 million Thais, are you?!

But they are a lot more indicative than you and your opinion are.

I don't like polls, I think they are 99% rigged bs, which is why I prefer to ask the people who matter, the Thai people. Sometimes it just happens to be my wife and her family who I ask questions, and I can't see anything wrong with that, they are still Thais and they have no reason to lie to me.

I also ask people I know in various businesses around Chiang Mai, long time friends in Chiang Rai, farmers in Surin, and Thais who are now living in Australia.

Going by the thoughts of the majority of this broad range of people I support anyone other than the Shins to run the country.

I like polls and since social science stepped out of the dark ages with word of mouth reliability being replaced by statistically significant polls the world has gotten much more accurate. Please don't quote some farm wisdom from the 1800's as society has progressed a long way since then.

The rice farmers don't need a poll to tell them they were screwed by the Shins and were finally paid by the junta, the bent cops etc who are being taken down for corruption charges don't need a poll to tell them they are cooked, and the redshirts don't need a poll to tell them that now their paymasters are out of the picture they are not given free rein to murder innocent people on the streets.

But I do agree with what you say about polls and their authenticity. thumbsup.gif

Golly shucks sounds like a great topic for the 965 thread about the rice program. thumbsup.gif

Yes a Negative one

Funny, that.

You're right. Nothing better than a good old election to know what people really think! :)

Yes a Negative one

Another one who quickly forgets the debacle that existed prior to the coup.

• Like 2