Defining success as an expat

redandyellow

To me success means to be happy in your new environment.

Thailand is beautiful, that's for sure, but as I already wrote in some other thread, I am not quite happy here, because Thailand is more for old, retired expat community, not for young expats.

... unless they have a brain and can work, or work out what to do with their time.

Yes, you are right, but I didn't come to Thailand to do nothing.

I just want to say that it's not easy for young expats to have long term circle of friends within their age bracket, since the majority of farangs here are 50+.

You all speak about money, but to me being with friends, with like minded people, is important segment of life.

Agree. Unfortunately money is a bit of a necessity.

• Like 1

Success,could surely only be defined by the particular person,if they consider themselves a success,surely then they are.

The only reasonable reply so far

every one else is trying to apply objective terms to a subjective proposition

If one defines success as being now able to sit in a bar, smoking cigarettes, and drinking himself silly while thinking that some cute girl might go for him, perhaps some objectivity is in order....

• Like 1

My GF gave me 1000 baht last night and said, "Sometimes i pay the electricity bill and sometimes you pay".

TOP THAT!

Whether its you, or her, or someone else...the 1000 baht will paid...as will the electricity bill.

Sleeping with women 20-30 years younger than you on a regular basis.

I guess it all depends on your age.

And where you are.

Are you in Thailand or, perhaps in the US based on your monikker?

Sleeping with women...we can all do that..Drink enough then pass out. Not hard, no pun intended

Having sex is a different thing.

You have sex regularly with women 20-30 years younger? For free...I mean they really want you?

Or do you mean what most of us suspect...you pay for service...and nothing wrong with that in my opinion (most posters have done it IMHO).

But it does give an indication of you particular view of success.

• Like 2

My GF gave me 1000 baht last night and said, "Sometimes i pay the electricity bill and sometimes you pay".

TOP THAT!

Whether its you, or her, or someone else...the 1000 baht will paid...as will the electricity bill.

Probably pays her Household money every month so he always pays for the bill

Thailand is beautiful, that's for sure, but as I already wrote in some other thread, I am not quite happy here, because Thailand is more for old, retired expat community, not for young expats.

... unless they have a brain and can work, or work out what to do with their time.

I just want to say that it's not easy for young expats to have long term circle of friends within their age bracket, since the majority of farangs here are 50+.

You all speak about money, but to me being with friends, with like minded people, is important segment of life.

There's 68 million so people here...and they ain't all over 50 farangs.

Plenty of people your age.

Many young expats working for Multi nationals live and work in Thailand with their family al expenses paid by company accomodation even international school for their kids .

A pensioner living on a fixed income and benefits is not an expat.

And old farts are just as good at getting in to trouble in Thailand as the next naieve backpacker fresh of the plane in she wanna boom.

So i would say no country for old men to many boner pils can make you blind.

Having sex is a different thing.

You have sex regularly with women 20-30 years younger? For free...I mean they really want you?

Or do you mean what most of us suspect...you pay for service...and nothing wrong with that in my opinion (most posters have done it IMHO).

But it does give an indication of you particular view of success.

I don't mind paying, I just don't want to pay as much as Hugh Hefner.

(does anyone actually manage to sleep with women 20-30 years younger for free?)

• Like 2

I never had any problem finding friends of my age when I was younger and there are a heck of a lot more Westerners here now, than there used to be. Of course, we hung out with old guys that we liked too.

Funny, near all of my friends here do not seem effected by such things - conversations are pleasant, nobody talks of being stuck or misreable or bolt holes - if anything, they talk about how much they enjoy it here. Most of my friends do not live in tourist areas. So, maybe assimilation is part of the answer.

Edited by kenk24
  • Like 1

She was talking about farangs . There are 68 million people in thailand. Very few of them are farangs and most of the farangs are over 50.

• Like 1

I have always wondered why couples going to bed to have sex is described as sleeping together? Because the very last things on their minds would actually be climbing under the sheets to have a nap.

I consider myself successful in Thailand. But everything that makes this so is based on and underpinned by a strong knowledge of the Thai language and a good appreciation of the people and the culture. Some people who do not have these do manage to survive a while but most end up leaving in frustration and bitterness. They will blame Thailand and the people for everything in an attempt to mask their own failure. Living long term in Thailand is not necessarily so easy but those who put in the effort will be paid back in kind.

I have always wondered why couples going to bed to have sex is described as sleeping together? Because the very last things on their minds would actually be climbing under the sheets to have a nap.

I quite enjoy a nap with a naked young woman.

A success expat I would say is a person who spend some time here in Thailand,(no matter the length of time) has had a great time and enjoyed himself with or without someone special and it don't matter if one want to stay or leave with a lot of great memories.

Have a nice day,,,Happy days clap2.gif

the nap comes 30 seconds later..
  • Like 1

You make a very good point.

Thailand (like Spain and many other places) has a retirement appeal. Therefore, many of us over 50 head for this shores and sustain ourselves with whatever resources we have built up over our working lives.

We did not come here to work

It is mainly young expats who come to work. I think they would be foolish to come here to retire, they are far too young.

There will, therefore, be a shortage of friends/like-minded people in your age group.

I quite enjoy a nap with a naked young woman.

I am not getting any naps with young naked women in bed or anywhere else, which means I am a failed ex-pat.

Not really, I think those that fall asleep can be considered failed.

• Like 2

Defining success as an expat

why would success "as an expat" be different from the success of a non-expat? are different yardsticks used to measure success?

When I go around in Pattaya I will often meet those groups of ladies, most of the time 3 or 4 midgets together with a good looking lady with here nose in the wind, and when you are " interested" in the good looking one, the others will jump in right away with the words " she my friend,she's beautiful, she has car".

So it is obvious that in the eyes of the other girls she has made it, been successful.

I never considered an ex-pat successful because he could afford a 15 year old Corolla.

• Like 1

I have been successful with some parts of my life and unsuccessful with others. I would have to say however if you are happy and enjoy your life then you are successful.

Some of the most unhappy people I know think they are successful so it only goes to show that we all measure success differently.

• Like 1