Defining success as an expat

redandyellow

Building a place for yourself within the local community.

Having a working knowledge of the Thai language.

Having friends, both Thai and western, you could count on in times of trouble and being a friend to others who are in trouble.

Having adequate financial resources to draw upon in a crisis.

Taking care of your health.

Having fun and discovering something unexpected every day.

Being independent and knowing how to take care of your financial, medical, visa and daily shopping needs without having to rely on another individual.

I'll undoubtedly think of more.

And above all being able to do all this while staying within the boundaries of Thai law and fulfilling the imposed requirements of the Immigration departments.

If able to be financially secure for the present and the future without hassles, no matter what types of lifestyles ex-pats prefer, while strictly abiding by the laws, then that determines to me as being a successful ex-pat.

• Like 1

Success,could surely only be defined by the particular person,if they consider themselves a success,surely then they are.

The only reasonable reply so far

every one else is trying to apply objective terms to a subjective proposition

Agree, the first thing that came to my mind was, " success is realizing no need to define success". Om....

• Like 2

So what defines a successful expat?

Someone who doesn't have to run to Thai Visa to ask sophomoric questions or to seek emotional support.

What would define your success at any age and wherever you happen to be? Hopefully it wouldn't depend on the judgement of strangers on a message board or the person sitting next to you on public transportation ... which amounts to the same thing.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

There is a difference between expats and immigrants.

Expats are generally sent by a company to work for a limited number of years and than go back or move on. Some are not sent, but come on their own initiative with the intention to stay for a limited period.

Immigrants are people that come to a country with the intention to stay long term.

Expats can turn in to immigrants, someone who lives here for 22 years is an immigrant. If he regrets not having kept a keyhole he has second thoughts and that can happen to all of us. Thailand is certainly not what is was 22 years ago.

How to define success is also different for the 2 types of foreigners living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Very very few farangs in Thailand are immigrants, if your on an annual visa/extension your not an immigrant, "immigrant" infers right of abode, which on a visa,/extension you don't have right of abode

The only real immigrant's in Thailand among the farang community are those who have PR

The rest of us are merely transients

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Working all your life, grabbing your nest egg and flying off to Patts/Phuket/Nana/Cowboy or similar.

Spending 3 or 4 years being a playboy on the cheap and still having enough cash left for a daily somtam.

Success!

You have achieved Nervana.

• Like 1

To me success means to be happy in your new environment.

Thailand is beautiful, that's for sure, but as I already wrote in some other thread, I am not quite happy here, because Thailand is more for old, retired expat community, not for young expats.

... unless they have a brain and can work, or work out what to do with their time.

what is success ?

good weather, good food, good pussy ?

enough money not to worry about the bills or even old age ?

Watched a film on sat TV years ago just to pass time. Song started and didn't pay too mutch attention. Eventually listend to the words. Basically all a man needed in life. Choirs went "loose shoes tight pussy and a warm place to s**t"

Allen Toussaint singing "what is success"

This man is one incredible musician

We are all here for different reasons and goals, some of us not at all, so trying to pinpoint what success is as an expat is kind of fruitless..

Edited by Smurkster

Well not to hard to define though it varies from person to person. For myself it means to be able to pull up stakes at a moments notice if need be. But most of all don't let yourself be pulled into others problems who complain all the time. There are good and bad every where But I don't look for it sure somethings are stupid but if you can't change it then leave, if not an issue then stay. I find the people for the most part pleasant. But then again I don't go to the tourist spot in the guides. I don't hang in the bars swilling beer with those with issues. I don't need to work to live. actually it is perfect fit for me I eat when I want to sleep when I want to, talk to people who I want to when I want to. But most of all I travel a lot and go where ever I can. I don't need others to say why you stay here? When they should be saying Why am'I here. If you want trouble you can find it any place if you want peace you have create it where ever you are.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Building a place for yourself within the local community.

Having a working knowledge of the Thai language.

Having friends, both Thai and western, you could count on in times of trouble and being a friend to others who are in trouble.

Having adequate financial resources to draw upon in a crisis.

Taking care of your health.

Having fun and discovering something unexpected every day.

Being independent and knowing how to take care of your financial, medical, visa and daily shopping needs without having to rely on another individual.

I'll undoubtedly think of more.

And above all being able to do all this while staying within the boundaries of Thai law and fulfilling the imposed requirements of the Immigration departments.

If able to be financially secure for the present and the future without hassles, no matter what types of lifestyles ex-pats prefer, while strictly abiding by the laws, then that determines to me as being a successful ex-pat.

Can you define 'the boundaries of Thai law' so that the next time an individual official decides his way is better, then we will have a reference?

(Only jesting there BJ & Nancy, i do know what you mean................tongue.png )

IMHO, the title of this thread doesn't match the wording of the OP. I would read that the OP is based on the experience of one 22 year expat's worry about not having 'a bolt hole', not feeling secure and listening to his 'friends' advice about leaving. Nothing to do with success but based on someone being unhappy with his lot.

But, if i have read into this wrong, how does someone live here successfully for a long period of time?

1. Understand where you are. Forget about how things are done at home, concentrate on how things are done here. You have made the commitment to the move, live with it.

2. Learn to judge things from personal experience and don't become reliant on second hand gossip.

3. Integrate into your new environment, don't ignore your neighbours because they speak a different language, don't follow rugby or football. Learn the language of your host country, if only a little bit.

4. Follow on to 2 above, it is Thailand we are talking about, not Mugabe's Zimbabwe. Things are a lot worse in other countries in this world, be thankful for what you have.

5. Be happy. This will lead you to a successful stay.........................wink.png

• Like 1

I doubt expats come to Thailand looking for success (what they are looking for is a another posting)...and if they find Thailand is not where they want to live and leave Thailand...are they not successful?

There is a difference between expats and immigrants.

Expats are generally sent by a company to work for a limited number of years and than go back or move on. Some are not sent, but come on their own initiative with the intention to stay for a limited period.

Immigrants are people that come to a country with the intention to stay long term.

Expats can turn in to immigrants, someone who lives here for 22 years is an immigrant. If he regrets not having kept a keyhole he has second thoughts and that can happen to all of us. Thailand is certainly not what is was 22 years ago.

How to define success is also different for the 2 types of foreigners living in Thailand.

Well said, totally agree!

To me success means to be happy in your new environment.

Thailand is beautiful, that's for sure, but as I already wrote in some other thread, I am not quite happy here, because Thailand is more for old, retired expat community, not for young expats.

... unless they have a brain and can work, or work out what to do with their time.

Yes, you are right, but I didn't come to Thailand to do nothing.

I just want to say that it's not easy for young expats to have long term circle of friends within their age bracket, since the majority of farangs here are 50+.

You all speak about money, but to me being with friends, with like minded people, is important segment of life.

• Like 1

A long time ( 22 years) British Phuket expat friend claims that over 90% of his expat friends have left Thailand forever, and they try to encourage him to leave as well. They site corruption, etc.

I would call them failed expats, if they did not realize all this stuff when they first got here. If anything, this kind of thing has gotten better in the last 22 years. Over 90% of my expat friends have left Thailand forever, but not because of corruption or anything of that sort. They could not support themselves here or needed advanced medical care in the West or have just died off after living here for decades.

• Like 2