Defining success as an expat

redandyellow

As someone who only spends 4 months a year in the Kingdom, I defer to others.

A long time ( 22 years) British Phuket expat friend claims that over 90% of his expat friends have left Thailand forever, and they try to encourage him to leave as well. They site corruption, etc.

After 22 years, Even he is having trouble hanging in, now he regrets not having a "bolt hole," as he sold everything and moved here, although he has a decent Thai wife that would never leave Thailand..

For every 3 books that say to retire in Thailand, 2 say don't..

So what defines a successful expat?

number 1: A bolt hole?

• Like 1

You used the term "bolt hole."

Success is having prepared a way out, maintaining it, even if you never use it. It is peace of mind.

Not having a way to leave, and wanting to, would be abject failure.

There have been numerous OPs here over the years, where someone is trying to get home, but can't. Desperate men.

Look back a year or so ago at this website. Look at the names that have disappeared.

Of all those I (personally) know who came here, only one remains. He has nowhere to go. His credit is destroyed, and the IRS wants his first born. If he gets a job, his wages will be garnished. And now his visa runs are becoming a problem.

He hates living here, so much so I actually worry for him.

Make yourself a way out.

Building a place for yourself within the local community.

Having a working knowledge of the Thai language.

Having friends, both Thai and western, you could count on in times of trouble and being a friend to others who are in trouble.

Having adequate financial resources to draw upon in a crisis.

Taking care of your health.

Having fun and discovering something unexpected every day.

Being independent and knowing how to take care of your financial, medical, visa and daily shopping needs without having to rely on another individual.

I'll undoubtedly think of more.

For me, although I do not live there, I think you said it all.

For many digital nomads (come on ND and Mr Toad lets keep it civil) its easy to be have a bolt hole. They can just pack up anywhere even back home. They are not fixed to where they are (depending they priced themselves right and not too low). So they can just move and keep their skills updated. Anyone who can do the same is basically free and keeps his options open. (same applies if you can keep your skills updated an other way)

This can apply for other jobs too as long as you keep your knowledge and certificates current.

Wit this taken care of you can look at other stuff, I think an other problem is having friends or not having a problem being alone.

I agree about the Thai language anyone living here longer should at least speak some Thai.

• Like 1

Agree that NancyL has a good starting list.

We can meet most of that list now apart from taking care of the health of my partner (who is the thai) but the thai system which she is eligible for could not meet the cost of her medical needs that keeps her living the normal healthy life that she does lead, here in the western world with that huge cost met by our government. The longest she can spend in Thailand is four months.

For me and the one that keeps me at about 4 months per year and I would add to that list of NancyL is tolerance for everything thai around you. And that is where I fail as I can only tolerate the incompetence, laziness, corruption, cheating, bull crap, lies, etc. for so long before I need to come back to a normal world. Thats why Thailand is a great place for us to visit or live for 3 or 4 months but beyond that it does our heads in.

with an attitude like that, its a shame they allow you back

• Like 2

Having friends, both Thai and western, you could count on in times of trouble and being a friend to others who are in trouble.

Being independent and knowing how to take care of your financial, medical, visa and daily shopping needs without having to rely on another individual.

That's average, not successful.

you seem to have a weird idea of a successful life. unless youre fixated on material things of course

Quite a few expats can't check all the boxes on this list.

What's the point of having a lot of money if you don't have friends, someone you can count on in a crisis, poor health, or are unable to resolve a problem at the bank or internet provider without having a guide along with you.

To me success means to be happy in your new environment.

Thailand is beautiful, that's for sure, but as I already wrote in some other thread, I am not quite happy here, because Thailand is more for old, retired expat community, not for young expats.

Edited by azaazo9

Quite a few expats can't check all the boxes on this list.

What's the point of having a lot of money if you don't have friends, someone you can count on in a crisis, poor health, or are unable to resolve a problem at the bank or internet provider without having a guide along with you.

Health, happiness, love, hobbies, toys, beauty, comfort and convenience are a few of the things on my list. I have never understood the idea of having friends so you can use them at some point when you screwup. I have never seen friends as assets to be used and relied upon and the last thing I would want to do is be a burden to a friend.

I agree that friends are not "assets" to be banked like money, and counted on to bail you out time and time again as a replacement for making good decisions.

But, nearly all of us can fall victim to illness or accident that no amount of good planning could have prevented. That's when it's good to have friends to help out when we're in hospital -- to bring food and other treat, take our money to pay rent and utilities, walk the dog and water the plants. Just to cite one example where friends could help when someone is down.