Lots and lots of police checkpoints

WinnieTheKhwai

Just has a heads-up / reminder: when going out this week (including tonight) be aware that police checkpoints are all over the place.

So when drinking alcohol you need to be aware of that, and/or make arrangements for a driver/taxi or lodging in town..

List of 'fixed' checkpoints is included below. In addition there are other hot spots, such as Thapae Gate, Old Lamphun Road, etc.

(The below is public information)

post-64232-0-17521900-1419916160_thumb.j

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you can buy drinktsThen you also can pay an taxi, so no need for backstreets dont act as an looser. What would happen in your country when you was drunk Driving.

Or how would you find iT when you got a call that an drunk driver killed one

of your family

what taxis?

Friend of mine got busted last night at Thapae..

Spent the remainder of the night/morning in jail at the Ratchadamnoen Fuzz Office.. today court, fine, etc. all that jazz.

I sincerely hope a lesson was learned. mad.gif

(Don't pass Thapae Gate at night; ever. God created sois for a reason.)

Spent the remainder of the night/morning in jail at the Ratchadamnoen Fuzz Office.. today court, fine, etc. all that jazz.

Anyone that drives throught Thapae at night deserves a ticket LOL NO EXCUSE

That's why there are so many DWI's.People don't mind paying for the alcohol.But they don't want to get off the money to pay for A taxi.Peoplevare tight.They think of money before safety.

Well if they made it easy for people to get a taxi that might work

Try getting a taxi at 2am to outside of Chiang mai like Sansei or Hang Dong

NO CHANCE

Well if you can buy drinktsThen you also can pay an taxi, so no need for backstreets dont act as an looser. What would happen in your country when you was drunk Driving.

Or how would you find iT when you got a call that an drunk driver killed one

of your family

Ummmm....OK

I was told that drinking and on a pedal bicycle is not a crime. I am not 100% sure of this information, and leave bike riding to professionals only!!! However, if you have a mountain bike with a good lock and promise not to exceed 10 kph, this might be a good solution.

I was told that drinking and on a pedal bicycle is not a crime. I am not 100% sure of this information, and leave bike riding to professionals only!!! However, if you have a mountain bike with a good lock and promise not to exceed 10 kph, this might be a good solution.

In "Cali" it's a crime. Don't know about here. Hazard to vehicles on a public road? Dunno.

Disagree If you can't pass them with out a problem you should not be on the road.

That's why there are so many DWI's.People don't mind paying for the alcohol.But they don't want to get off the money to pay for A taxi.Peoplevare tight.They think of money before safety.

NO CHANCE

I was planning on drinking tonight and getting a taxi or tuktuk from the city out to near promenada. Do you think this will be possible?

NO CHANCE

I was planning on drinking tonight and getting a taxi or tuktuk from the city out to near promenada. Do you think this will be possible?

If you make arrangements ahead of time. Just be sure that you pay them enough to make it worth their while. As I am sure there will not be that many normally out at that time of night.

The more check points the better in my view,publishing

details of where they are not a good idea,if you are doing

nothing illegal you will have nothing to worry about,if it

saves lives how can anyone disagree, see 58 dead on

first day,

regards Worgeordie

I have no choice but to go out tonight. A friend is in town and wants to hit up Loy Kroh, the Boxing area, and possibly Zoe Yellow after midnight. I can walk in from Nimmen, but I need a ride back around 1 AM or 2 AM. Hopefully I can find a tuk yuk driver who is sober but I worry greatly about it.

Bangkok newspaper reports 58 dead and 517 injured yesterday as the exodus began throughout the country..

At Makro, Hang Dong, at 12 noon, the queue to get into the parking area was 200m long.

Naturally the traffic flow towards CM is twice that heading south.

"Don't pass Thapae Gate at night; ever."

You mean inside the moat or outside?

Outside.

If you have a valid licence, are wearing a helmet and your bike is currently registered...and you have not been drinking, what the problem?

Then please pass the checkpoint, thank you. (Keeps the police busy)

Good to hear the Police are doing their job and keeping <deleted> drunks off the road - hope he gets prison time.

Good to hear the Police are doing their job and keeping <deleted> drunks off the road - hope he gets prison time.

She didn't. But did spend the remainder of the night and better part of the next day in a police cell and then court.

Possibly a bicycle is the answer, instead of a scooter.

Does anyone know whether a drink/drive conviction would affect non-immigrant B visa extensions?

They usually give you an initial month extension each year while your details are sent off to Bangkok who check whether you have any criminal convictions.

I don't have any convictions but it would be disastrous (for me) if a couple of beers on the way home led to my expulsion from Thailand.

Does anyone know whether a drink/drive conviction would affect non-immigrant B visa extensions?

They usually give you an initial month extension each year while your details are sent off to Bangkok who check whether you have any criminal convictions.

I don't have any convictions but it would be disastrous (for me) if a couple of beers on the way home led to my expulsion from Thailand.

I dont think so I know multiple people with DWI convictions and one is a multiple offender nothing affects the visa although the multiple offender is pushing the envelope latest convictions was 20,000 baht fine 60 hours community service and 12 month suspension that was after 3 previous nothing has affected his visa status

LOL Prison time haha it does not happen just a fine depending on your reading fine is from 6000 baht up to 20,000 baht depending on how drunk you are this is Thailand and EVERYONE drives after drinking except goody 2 shoes like yourself and I mean everyone from the poor rice farmer all the way up to the Merc driving CEO and Police officials etc.

Is it wrong ? Sure it is HOWEVER when there is no alternative transport people are going to drive drunk I know many people that would NEVER DREAM of driving drunk in their home country and the reason is they just have to pick up the phone and call a MILLION taxi companies who will be more than happy to pick you up 24 HOURS A DAY and drive you safely home. Here there is NO SUCH THING and until there is a reliable option for people to get home to the surrounding areas using taxis or public transport you will never get people to stop.

I would much rather take a taxi home but the reality is ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ONE that is willing to take me at 2am or 3am

Archived