AirAsia flight overshoots runway in Kalibo, Philippines

george

AirAsia flight overshoots runway in Kalibo, Philippines

MANILA: -- ANOTHER AirAsia plane has been involved in an incident appearing to have overshot the runway at Kalibo in the Philippines.
According to Jet Damazo Santos, a journalist from Rappler Indonesia, passengers had to leave the aircraft using its emergency slide.
“Engine was shut immediately, we were told to leave bags, deplane asap. Firetruck was waiting. Seems handled well,” she posted on her Twitter account. “Nobody seems to be hurt. Weather was bad because of #senangph. Plane came to a very abrupt stop.”

-- news.com.au 2014-12-30

Another AirAsia plane is involved in an incident

SINGAPORE - An AirAsia plane overshot the runway at Kalibo International Airport near Boracay, a popular Philippine tourist destination, on Tuesday evening.

Several posts on social media showed emergency slides being deployed from the Airbus A320 plane, which appeared to have come to a halt on a grassy field.

- straitstimes.com 2014-12-30

AirAsia plane overshoots Kalibo runway

AKLAN, Philippines (UPDATED) An AirAsia Philippines flight from Manila overshot the runway at the Kalibo International Airport in Aklan on Tuesday night, December 30, amid bad weather.

AirAsia flight Z2 272 was scheduled to depart at 3:10 pm but did so almost two hours later. Passengers were told that a Cebu Pacific flight to Kalibo was earlier forced to turn back to Manila.

The short flight ended with a hard, abrupt landing. The engine was immediately turned off and passengers were told to leave bags and deplane at the back using the emergency slide.

Passengers were taken to the Kalibo terminal where the elderly were given medical assistance.

When asked what happened, a flight attendant said it was because of strong winds.

As of this posting, one passenger was set to be brought to the ER for monitoring because of elevated blood pressure, while another expressed concern as his insulin was on the plane.

Flight attendants told confused passengers luggage will only be brought to the terminal after the plane is pulled back to the tarmac.

In a statement early Tuesday night, AirAsia Philippines said: "AirAsia Philippines confirms flight Z2 272 from Manila skidded off the Kalibo International Airport runway at 5:43PM upon landing. All 153 passengers and crew were able to disembark safely, no injuries reported. All passengers are now at a hotel assisted by AirAsia staff."

Earlier on Tuesday, an AirAsia flight headed to northeast Thailand from Bangkok turned back due to a "minor irregularity in the storage area."

The incidents happen two days after an AirAsia flight went missing while flying from Surabaya to Singapore.

-- rappler.com 2014-12-30

AirAsia jets in fresh incidents in Thailand and Philippines

Bangkok, Thailand | AFP

BANGKOK: -- An AirAsia flight bound for northeast Thailand turned back to the capital Bangkok shortly after takeoff Tuesday when pilots detected an "irregularity" in the storage compartment, airline officials said.

Later on Tuesday, another AirAsia jet -- this time in the Philippines -- skidded off the runway on arrival at a popular resort island, causing no injuries but shutting the small airport, the airline and police confirmed.

The incidents come as search teams spotted wreckage and bodies in the sea presumed to be from an AirAsia jet that vanished in a storm Sunday en route from Surabaya in Indonesia to Singapore with 162 people aboard.

AirAsia Flight FD3254 returned to Bangkok's Don Mueang International Airport soon after departing for Khon Kaen at 11.10 am (0410 GMT).

It was allowed to resume service after engineers ruled out any technical problems.

"After departure from Don Mueang, the pilots detected a minor irregularity in the storage area, thus in the interest of safety the flight returned to land at Don Mueang Airport for a detailed inspection," said Thai AirAsia in a statement.

"Engineers did not discover any issues compromising the safety of flight FD3254," it said.

No passengers cancelled their flights and the plane arrived at its destination an hour behind schedule, officials said.

An AirAsia spokesman at Don Mueang Airport said the pilots turned back after "hearing some noise in the luggage compartment". He could not confirm the reason for the noise.

Around two hours later a Thai Airways Airbus A340-600 from Bangkok to London was forced to return to the Thai capital shortly after take off, after the pilot reported a technical problem.

"The plane had a problem with the hydraulic system, as a result the pilot decided to fly back to Suvarnabhumi Airport," according to a Thai Airways statement.

In the Philippines, AirAsia Flight Z2272, which was flying from Manila overshot the runway in Kalibo airport as it landed in bad weather on the tourist island of Boracay on Tuesday afternoon.

Police spokeswoman Nida Gregas confirmed to AFP that there were no injuries and all 153 passengers and crew were safely evacuated from the aircraft.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-12-30

Malaysian airlines are being targeted say the conspiracy theorists.

Targeted by "Black Hand".

I agree.

Although MH17 doesn't stack up to this conspiracy.

Jumpy Thai pilots turned their AirAsia plane around today with some cock-and-bull story about strange noises coming from the luggage compartment.

Personally, I'd fly on either of them. My guess is that they will be hyper-vigilant for a while.

They will, and the media will have them under the microscope for a few months. A runway overshoot isn't airmanship at its finest but it's not all that rare either. Any other airline and it wouldn't have even made the news.

AA and MAS remain among the safest airlines in the region. I'd happily fly either before, say, Lion.

• Like 2

So what?

Incidents happens daily:

Incident: Thai A346 at Bangkok on Dec 30th 2014, hydraulic failure

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Dec 30th 2014 21:36Z, last updated Tuesday, Dec 30th 2014 21:36ZA Thai Airways Airbus A340-600, registration HS-TNB performing flight TG-916 from Bangkok (Thailand) to London Heathrow,EN (UK) with 266 passengers, was climbing out of Bangkok's runway 01R when the crew stopped the climb at FL130 due to a hydraulic problem, entered a hold to dump fuel and returned to Bangkok for a safe landing on runway 01R about 80 minutes after departure.

A replacement Airbus A340-600 registration HS-TNE is estimated to reach London with a delay of 160 minutes.

Malaysian airlines are being targeted say the conspiracy theorists.

Targeted by "Black Hand".

I agree.

Although MH17 doesn't stack up to this conspiracy.

Jumpy Thai pilots turned their AirAsia plane around today with some cock-and-bull story about strange noises coming from the luggage compartment.

Were you on the aircraft which turned back after the crew hearing noises from the baggage compartment? Are you a qualified pilot current on that type of aircraft? Would you have preferred that the pilot fly on only to have the baggage door blow open, the aircraft to depressurise, crash and everybody on board to die so that you could have said that the pilot was at fault for flying on after being warned?

Do you really know what you are talking about?

You seem to be a keyboard pilot to me.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd fly on either of them. My guess is that they will be hyper-vigilant for a while.

Having flown at least a dozen flights with Air Asia this year including Air Asia X from the Gold Coast without any issues, I'll be flying with them again in 2015.

I remember a QANTAS 747 overshooting the runway in Bangkok in September 1999.

Having flown at least a dozen flights with Air Asia this year including Air Asia X from the Gold Coast without any issues, I'll be flying with them again in 2015.

I remember a QANTAS 747 overshooting the runway in Bangkok in September 1999.

I remember the Qantas incident in 1999 something to do with the an airhostess doing something in the pilot's own "cock pit" causing him to lose attention.

Won't be flying Malaysians or air Asia.

Flown Malaysia Air a few times, and have had positive experiences. No one knows what happened to MH370 yet and the MH17 incident was a very unfortunate incident.

I would consider MAL again, but after flying with AA several times recently, being a LLC, I feel they cut corners to make profits and no so confident anymore. I think my flying days with AirAsia could be over.

Amazingly I did a check for flights in March for a round trip from SYD to BKK and AA was almost $200 more than Emirates. Hard to say what effect this tragedy will have on the bottom line, initially anyway, but IMO they'd want to be giving flights away to get people back.

Edited by Straight8