Thai editorial: Baht-yuan swap agreement grabbing global attention

webfact

After Greek elections on Jan 25, 2015, it could be another huge slide for the euro again and huge win for the USD by the end of 2015. If greece eventually moves out of the euro, guess what italy and spain are going to do?

Greece won't move out of the euro. Neither will Spain or Italy.

I know its the New Year and all that, but really doomsday predictions?

No, not doomsday at all but an opportunity for buying USD's. If the new party wins in Greece, they want to write off a lot of the debt whether Brussels agrees with this or not and a 50/50 chance they opt out of the eurozone. At 25% unemployment, they have much of population with them this time around.

It won't happen.
I tend to avoid using words such as these when speaking about future events:

Won't/Will not

Can't/Cannot

Impossible

Utter rubbish

Never

My crystal ball hasn't worked since I imagined having one, and I doubt I can find one that does.

Speaking of friends I have never been able to fathom why the governments of the US and Thailand are supposed to be so close. They do not share interests, culture, or geography. The Thais seem to benefit more from it than the US with one sided 'free trade agreements' that means Thai products are untaxed and US products are taxed 100%. Anyway, I suspect this currency swap business will fail to matter when China finally has to let their currency trade freely.

The friendship goes back a long way, but just check the VN war and you will understand.

On the Yuan, you hit it on the head. They can only be short term swaps.

After Greek elections on Jan 25, 2015, it could be another huge slide for the euro again and huge win for the USD by the end of 2015. If greece eventually moves out of the euro, guess what italy and spain are going to do?

Getting out of the Euro is not that simple,it would be like trying to get the milk back out of your coffee, it was designed that way on purpose.

This article is so over exaggerated. They made it seem like the world is going to end that Thailand and China made an agreement to make trade with their own currency. I am sure that Thailand and China are not the first.

I disagree, this change represents a recognition by the Thai government that the dollar is vulnerable to devaluation and that Thailand needs to re-align its foreign reserves with currencies other than the dollar. The West in general is in a very precarious monetary situation with Most of the 'Washington Consensus' nations burdened by debt that CANNOT be paid off. Someday there will be a reckoning and it would be foolish to pretend otherwise.

Getting out of the Euro is not that simple,it would be like trying to get the milk back out of your coffee, it was designed that way on purpose.

That's true, but remember, one side of my family is Greek and I know how they think laugh.png If anyone will exit the euro do or die, it will be the Greeks. They feel in WW2 that the Germans stole mass fortunes from them, so they've always had a little payback in their hearts from what I hear. I still say it's only a 50/50 chance it will happen, but it would be interesting if it moves in that direction.

Edited by steve654

This article is so over exaggerated. They made it seem like the world is going to end that Thailand and China made an agreement to make trade with their own currency. I am sure that Thailand and China are not the first.

I disagree, this change represents a recognition by the Thai government that the dollar is vulnerable to devaluation and that Thailand needs to re-align its foreign reserves with currencies other than the dollar. The West in general is in a very precarious monetary situation with Most of the 'Washington Consensus' nations burdened by debt that CANNOT be paid off. Someday there will be a reckoning and it would be foolish to pretend otherwise.

Unfortunately Nodomino this was nothing more than a renewal of an expiring agreement being replaced by more or less the same thing. Actually it was a renewal by any indications of the previous "Landmark" 22 December 2011 when thailand first entered into the swap agreement for 3 years at THB 320 billion | ¥70 billion. This appears to be the same terms of the new overblown news piece...

This news piece alone calls into question the medias independence and reliability or understanding of events more than anything else, let alone a "landmark change" in the economic conditions.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this will do with the Baht-Dollar exchange rate for those living in Thailand and dependent on U.S. pensions?

Perhaps you won`t have pension as China and Thailand (and not only them) agreed do not finance US pensions ( as US wars and US consumption) any more.

Good news for the world.

Edited by heina