Phuket police checkpoints yield two hand-guns

webfact

Phuket police checkpoints yield two hand-guns
Darawan Naknakhon

1420037782_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Two more potential murder weapons were seized by Phuket police at two separate checkpoints today, including a Walter .380 holstered by an 18-yearr-old, as well as a .45 Colt possessed by a 40-year-old.

Mr Suwannayang Manabutr, 18, of Sisunthon was stopped and searched at the Tung Ka checkpoint in Rassada.

The young man, who was on his way into town, was in possession of a Walter .380 hand gun, along with seven bullets, a magazine and holster. Police arrested seized the weapon, arrested and charged him with possession of a gun without a permit, and entering into a public or residential unnecessarily armed.

Meanwhile, police at Ta Chat Chai checkpoint also booked an older man, on similar charges.

Mr Usaman Maidingao, 40, of Chabungtikor sub district in Pattani, was in possession of semi-automatic, .45 colt pistol, also without a permit.

The seizures follow a shooting late last night in Phuket Town of an 18-year-old. Police have not commented whether there is a connection with last night’s shooting (story here) and today’s seized weapons.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-checkpoints-yield-two-hand-guns-50384.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-01

A valid reason to point to the right and neccessity of citizens to be armed. To defend against criminals who are armed. Were the two criminals, outside of not having permits? We don't know based upon this article.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

-- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.

-- Cesare Beccaria

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."

-- Peter Venetoklis

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so.

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

Edited by manfrommanteo
  • Like 1

A valid reason to point to the right and neccessity of citizens to be armed. To defend against criminals who are armed. Were the two criminals, outside of not having permits? We don't know based upon this article.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

-- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.

-- Cesare Beccaria

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."

-- Peter Venetoklis

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so.

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

"She just went shopping in Walmart, and was too stupid to stop her 2 year old playing with a loaded cocked gun.." - Shocked Walmart employee.

• Like 2

"and entering into a public or residential unnecessarily armed."

So if was necessary (to shoot your ex Gf's new Bf or kill the rival gangs leader) that would have been OK....... ?

<deleted> with cell phones and guns.....

An armed populace sounds good in theory but lax gun laws just make it easier for people with bad intentions to get a gun. The U.S. has open, and concealed carry laws in many states yet the per capita rate of homocide by firearms is many times higher than it is in countries where every hoodlum and crack addict can't get a pistol just for the asking.

Edited by Guitar God

All these young guys carrying guns is fine if they have the maturity to only keep it with them for security of themselves and their families/homes but most of them think it's just a possession that makes them look like a man. The thing is thiugh that I really can't understand how so many young guys can afford to buy these guns as they are certainly not cheap! Thailand is 3 to 4 times more expensive for guns than the US with .38's and .45's starting in price at around 50,000 baht! I am sure they all can't be involved in criminal activity so how do they afford them? The gun club that I and my son belong to has mainly thai members and they have some really nice pistols that they bring with them..