Looking for Newspaper in Japanese Language

mojaco

My wife is Japanese and there used to be a bookstore across from the Wiang Inn Hotel that had Japanese language newspapers (Yomiuri Shimbun) and also there was a small magazine shop on the outside of Big C that used to have some. Both of those places are gone. Does anyone know where such newspapers are sold in Chiang Rai now? She only reads one or two issues a week and so doesn't want to pay $100 (or more) per month for a daily subscription.

Thanks for any leads someone can suggest.

Can't help with access in CR, but has she tried anything online? I get great articles from a variety of newspapers in the US and UK. Many limit you to 4-5 articles a month, or so. But others are pretty good with unrestricted access to their news. Plus, quite a few offer streams of their news feeds.

Just a thought. Best of luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for responding. My wife is older and doesn't know how to use the internet, and doesn't desire to learn. I have showed her the many Japanese language news outlet websites but it is too confusing for her. Plus she wants to have a piece of paper in her hand to peruse. So I will just have to keep looking for a newspaper for her. They still sell Yomiuri Shimbun in Bangkok, but we're not there now. We're back in the Chiang Rai area on a long term basis.

• Like 2

I also love holding a real paper. I do miss that. But like you said, not willing to spend 3k Baht per year for the local papers here that I find only mildly informative, and would only read a few times a week! 55555

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Hi...asked my wife and she tell me that when you come from The Kings statue ahead to BigC on your left hand there is a Kawasaki shop(Motor bikes) and next to that there schould be a very big shop which sell a lot of stuff and for sure she say also news papers from Japan.

Hope you find it and she is right.

• Like 1

Hi...asked my wife and she tell me that when you come from The Kings statue ahead to BigC on your left hand there is a Kawasaki shop(Motor bikes) and next to that there schould be a very big shop which sell a lot of stuff and for sure she say also news papers from Japan.

Thank You!!! We will check it out! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thank You!!! We will check it out! wai2.gif

I found the place on the internet (D.K. Book Center Chiang Rai) and it is a huge book store. I called them and the sales person said they don't have Japanese newspapers, only English ones. But I will still go there to see for myself (and also to see what else they have.)

Still hoping to get more leads if possible . . .

• Like 1