Why do Police allow children to drive on roads in Thailand?

OP, don't complaint..........it's part of the learning process in Thailand.

If they don't have one or two accidents, how are they going to learn to drive properly?

If they ever.........blink.png

As about the police, stopping vehicles......I've seen many.........just to collect some money from Thais or farangs.

Happened to me also......many times.............

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP how do you expect them to get to school? That's how my mate's ex put it to him when he asked her. And she's a teacher.

I've heard the same up here in Phitsanulok. They seem to totally ignore the kids between the going to/coming from school periods.

The two most dangerous times of the day on the roads.................sad.png

Does anyone remember seeing that Youtube video of an 8-year old girl DRIVING A CAR herself down in Southern Thailand somewhere recently? Absolutely amazingly stupid! But apparently in that case the police did intervene and forced the parents of the child to no longer allow the child to drive herself, and also handed out a fine. The child couldn't understand all the fuss and wanted to continue to be allowed driving because apparently she had never caused an accident before!

• Like 1

Why? Because they can!

The same with parking, hazard lights etc - "I want to park here, so I will" attitude. In a cycle lane? Disabled space? So what?

"I want to park here. If I put my hazards lights on, I am, therefore, exempt from the law".

It's all about attitude.

• Like 1

It's all to easy to judge Thailand by the standards of a civilised country, but if you see the risks Thais take every day in their work and whatever they must do to survive, children riding motorbikes is lost in the noise. Especially in the villages where they are just going to friends houses on dirt roads.

The things that really makes me wince are those pickups full of schoolchildren on a day-trip where some are stood at the back (because it is overloaded) and dancing while holding on to a pole.

• Like 2

I did see a boy stopped with his motorbike with about six policemen surrounding him in my village about four weeks ago, he looked underage, and when I rode about 100 Mts down the road another policeman was heading there on his motorbike. I was hoping that was the start of something, but never seen it again since.

OP how do you expect them to get to school? That's how my mate's ex put it to him when he asked her. And she's a teacher.

There's plenty of school buses, and there are still lots of underage children riding motorbikes during the school holidays.

Thai roads are absolute death traps. I minimise use as much as possible, it's virtually impossible to travel any distance at all and not witness a serious or fatal accident. Taking into account there is a minimal or non-existent baseline for driving it still doesn't explain the death toll. How many times have you see motorcycles or cars or lorries turn out onto motorways or main roads without so much as a glance. It appears to defy all logic. Add onto this the number of public transport drivers taking amphetamines and you have a heady cocktail of danger.

There's no one more critical than me about Thai drivers, but after nine years of riding and driving, I have seen very little road accidents in Thailand, but I don't go out on them over the New Year or Songcran periods.

In fact I have rode from Phichit to Mukdahan and back recently, and never saw one accident, and only two checkpoints, and that was in Kalasin, and I was just waved past.

unfortunately in Thailand being a parent does not involve using any common sense or taking any responsibility for your children. Parents buy/give their underage kids cars.bikes to drive/ride to school etc simply because it means they do not have to take them as they are too lazy and dont really care enough, unless it starts to involve big fines so that it hits their bank accounts it will continue. These so called parents do what ever it takes to save themselves having to do anything, being lazy is a big part of it, until we see big fines/or jail time etc it wont change, whats a few deaths of kids on the road illegally, they can always make more, as the thais say, doesnt matter

The Thai parents attitude seems to be,'it does not matter if my kid gets killed, we'll just go to bed and make another one'.