Deaths, injuries up in first three 'dangerous days' from a year ago

Lite Beer

Aquired Learning Deficiency Syndrome

Prompting authorities to adjust road safety measures accordingly. This must be the latest way of saying we have done nothing to reduce the senseless deaths and injuries during the holidays. I knew the Ministry's words on this subject were empty when they were printed here. Nobody in Thailand cares about these stats. Deaths and maimed people are so common as to not cause a ripple in the Ministry except for word speak before the annual carnage begins.That's my 7 year story and I am sticking to it until I am hopefully proven wrong by the Ministry....

Yeah they should learn from the USA and hide half their Road toll by not counting them and then encourage more people into the military.

"Most accidents involved motorcycles (85 per cent), and most took place on straight stretches of road (64 per cent). About one-quarter occurred between midnight to 4am." The solution is easy. Put in a curfew between midnight and 4am for motorcycles and do not allow motorcyclist to consume alcohol....cos drunks can't ride straight.

In your dreams! moptorcycle is still the primary veehicle for the poor folks, add to tha the Thai idea that if you are a car owner, you are better than the poor folks! same old S--T year after year!

Road deaths and injuries cost the country billions....... it is to any governments advantage to reduce these figures, but as ignorance prevails - many people in power can't believe that their own ideas on driving are complete rubbish - there will be no change.

There are institutions at work both nationally and ASEAN funded, but as the problem needs to be tackled right from the bottom they are banging their heads against a brick wall. The authorities as with all things in Thailand believe that solutions can be provided "top-down" by half-baked ideas from idiots with no ideas on how road safety works.

The truth is a catch 22 situation - road safety can only be achieved by a roots-up revolution in thinking. starting with infrastructure and education.....this of course costs money, which in turn disappears due to corruption by those who think it is solvable by top-down dictums....or at least the failures can be covered up so.

While at Tuckom recently to deal with our internet connection , the Missus asked if I wanted to look at dash cams since she knew I had an interest in getting one since reading a compelling thread over a year or so ago where a motorbike rider was killed entering a boulevard without even looking at oncoming traffic.

The OP said he felt it was the evidence on his dash cam that saved his butt from becoming the responsible party for the ladies death. I agree with what he said.

A dash cam does not protect our physical safety but at least if the safety features of the car made in Thailand keep us alive, possible the dash cam will keep me out of jail.

I don't drive like I'm in a rush to get anywhere. The Missus knows I don't like speeding.

The thing was around 3300 THB and works great. USB power and we can still charge our phones and whatever.

So you are usingyour phone when you are diving???? I thought that was against the law also, besides speeding.?

You haven't heard about mobile hands free built in system in cars?

Of course I use my mobile when driving, my car has a bluetooth hands free system with mobile control buttons on my steering wheel. Illegal, I think not!

Don't think it'll ever get better. Many people just do not have a sense of safety. Just look at all of the vehicles with an open back pickup full, no motorbike helmets, check out building sites.

Little kids driving motorbikes in the dark with no lights to get dad lao khao.

No sense of safety.

No sense of safety

& didn't I read somewhere a great place to retire?

While at Tuckom recently to deal with our internet connection , the Missus asked if I wanted to look at dash cams since she knew I had an interest in getting one since reading a compelling thread over a year or so ago where a motorbike rider was killed entering a boulevard without even looking at oncoming traffic.

The OP said he felt it was the evidence on his dash cam that saved his butt from becoming the responsible party for the ladies death. I agree with what he said.

A dash cam does not protect our physical safety but at least if the safety features of the car made in Thailand keep us alive, possible the dash cam will keep me out of jail.

I don't drive like I'm in a rush to get anywhere. The Missus knows I don't like speeding.

The thing was around 3300 THB and works great. USB power and we can still charge our phones and whatever.

So you are usingyour phone when you are diving???? I thought that was against the law also, besides speeding.?

Of course I use my mobile when driving, my car has a bluetooth hands free system with mobile control buttons on my steering wheel. Illegal, I think not!

This makes a great point about one aspect at least of road safety in Thailand!

Illegal? No! BUT here we have someone who seems to think that using a hands free isn't dangerous.... In fact it has been shown to interfer with driving as much as alcohol.

The point being that this poster isn't aware of this so continues to drive in a dangerous manner. Just like many other drivers in Thailand. It's not that any one is inherently stupid or lacks common sense, its just that they haven't been told. Once you are made aware...well it isn't rocket science.

Illegal? No! BUT here we have someone who seems to think that using a hands free isn't dangerous.... In fact it has been shown to interfer with driving as much as alcohol.

The point being that this poster isn't aware of this so continues to drive in a dangerous manner. Just like many other drivers in Thailand. It's not that any one is inherently stupid or lacks common sense, its just that they haven't been told. Once you are made aware...well it isn't rocket science.

Incorrect, it has not been shown to interfere with driving as much as alcohol, it has been shown that some people talking on a hands free telephone call drive as badly as if they were affected by an amount of alcohol.

Incorrect, it has not been shown to interfere with driving as much as alcohol, it has been shown that some people talking on a hands free telephone call drive as badly as if they were affected by an amount of alcohol.

So would you care to explain the difference and especially how that affects the point I'm trying to make?

So would you care to explain the difference and especially how that affects the point I'm trying to make?

sure just post your education level and IQ so I know how simple to make it for you to understand ...

the study that produced the results that you are quoting was biased and intended to prove predetermined results. basically they took poor drivers who were easily distracted and then distracted them thus proving easily distracted people were distracted by a distraction.

by contrast in motor sport now at the highest levels all drivers are in constant communication with their pit crews on the radio, ie. they are on a mobile phone call for the whole race

do you think that a formula 1 driver could drive at those speeds for the 2 hours of a race whilst drunk ?

unfortunately publishers of studies often misrepresent their their studies "for the good of humanity"

this makes the point you are trying to make totally invalid or as we say in Australia "Bullsh!t"

Edited by outboard

sure just post your education level and IQ so I know how simple to make it for you to understand ...

the study that produced the results that you are quoting was biased and intended to prove predetermined results. basically they took poor drivers who were easily distracted and then distracted them thus proving easily distracted people were distracted by a distraction.

by contrast in motor sport now at the highest levels all drivers are in constant communication with their pit crews on the radio, ie. they are on a mobile phone call for the whole race

do you think that a formula 1 driver could drive at those speeds for the 2 hours of a race whilst drunk ?

unfortunately publishers of studies often misrepresent their their studies "for the good of humanity"

this makes the point you are trying to make totally invalid or as we say in Australia "Bullsh!t"

"sure just post your education level and IQ so I know how simple to make it for you to understand ... " - this kind of says all we need to know about your abilities in critical thinking.

However you also seem to somewhat overestimate the skills of the average driver. I expect your own as well - most drivers do. You seem to imply that you have abilities comparable to a formula one driver....

As I worked to 2 racing teams I'm well aware of the problems of communicating with drivers from the pits via radio and the effect it has on their performance which is why one tends to monitor the vehicle rather than the driver if one can. - you might want to check out the policies teams have regarding this.

furthermore I don't think you actually know which "study" you are alluding to - it all sounds like guesswork on your part.

Edited by wilcopops

mate, I thought that explanation was aimed at about about an 8 yo level, and yet you still don't understand it .

you are the one having trouble with critical thinking! otherwise no one would have had to explain to you the differences between what the study found and their conclusions and why there is a difference between the two

as far as over estimating others abilities to drive, quite possibly I am from Australia and we have Half the death toll per capita as the USA and assume that most people can drive as well as the average Australian, HOWEVER I did not mention "the average driver" in either of my posts that you have quoted (so much for your critical thinking sport)

As for my own driving abilities they are above average by a fair way but again no where did I say nor imply anything about my driving abilities prior to this post , all I said was you have been misled by a misleading report ( you critical thinking again?)

as for your

As I worked to 2 racing teams

The question was never whether it has an effect on their performance or not, your claim is that it has the same effect as them being drunk, now any critical thinking person, knows that if you are drunk, you will continue to be drunk until you are sober, if you are communicating with someone, whether it be a passenger in the car or someone on a radio communication device, you can choose to ignore them and give your full attention to driving if at that time it is required (critical thinking suggests that some situations whilst driving require greater concentration then others), where as drunk does not go away because you are ignoring it.

As to the study I am alluding to, I didn't allude to it you did, however I have seen 3 of them and all of them had the same short comings and came to conclusions, based on too small a reference group and too targeted a group (mostly poor or inexperienced drivers) to produce valid results for the general population

Edited by outboard