French man found hanged in Koh Tao with his hands tied behind his back – foul play suspected

Lite Beer

Wasn't it last NYE when the English lad supposedly "jumped" off the cliff while on holiday with his family. Two years in a row.....

Yes but I think jumping off the cliff was just a speculation since nobody saw him and think the implication was not suicide but rather an accident based on the behavior of a very drunk 25 year old young man.

December 19, 2014

An inquest into Nick Pearsons death concluded today when acting senior coroner Louise Pinder said he drowned and recorded an open conclusion.

Home Office pathologist Dr Michael Biggs said Nick had 237 mg of alcohol in his body. The UK legal limit for driving is 80 mgs. He said: There were some bruises on his face. He could have fell, bumped, or been assaulted. From a pathologists point of view, his injuries are not from an assault but I cant rule it out. He said a lot of the injuries had occurred after his death.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Nick-Pearson-inquest-Family-Derbyshire-man-dead/story-25741734-detail/story.html#ixzz3NnOmxjOR

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

draftvader, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:49, said:draftvader, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:49, said:
MJP, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:43, said:MJP, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:43, said:

Jabis, my memory is getting frail, but did I not recently read that there was a witness to the recent Koh Tao murders and that this was a Frenchman?

Or am I imagining that?

No, I saw something. However it was just a post on here and I wasn't too sure whether something had been lost in translation as there was no source quoted. Maybe somebody can correct.

Some early reports on the Koh Tao murders of Witheridge and Miller referred to Sean McAnna as a Frenchman. This was later corrected to Scotsman. It was during the reporting of the minimart incident when Sean was being chased by the island "mafia" and threatened with hanging. He posted photos of the two men concerned to his facebook and said something like: "if I die tonight, they did it". Those same reports also claimed that this same "Frenchman" had taken a photo of the victims having an argument with locals in the AC bar. All very confusing, I'm afraid.

draftvader, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:49, said:draftvader, on 03 Jan 2015 - 13:49, said:

Jabis, my memory is getting frail, but did I not recently read that there was a witness to the recent Koh Tao murders and that this was a Frenchman?

Or am I imagining that?

No, I saw something. However it was just a post on here and I wasn't too sure whether something had been lost in translation as there was no source quoted. Maybe somebody can correct.

Some early reports on the Koh Tao murders of Witheridge and Miller referred to Sean McAnna as a Frenchman. This was later corrected to Scotsman. It was during the reporting of the minimart incident when Sean was being chased by the island "mafia" and threatened with hanging. He posted photos of the two men concerned to his facebook and said something like: "if I die tonight, they did it". Those same reports also claimed that this same "Frenchman" had taken a photo of the victims having an argument with locals in the AC bar. All very confusing, I'm afraid.

On all accounts: sources please!?

Edit: To be more precise - sources on "frenchman" being in the same report - the same frenchman that was in protected custody, where Mr.McAnna was not.

Edited by jabis

Or am I imagining that?

Worth mentioning that,

• The report about the Frenchman being (present tense) in protective custody was reported in the media on Sep 23. Sean left Koh Tao on Sep 22.
  • Sean denied ever being in protective custody. Indeed, he accused the police of abandoning him to his fate in his room. (Sean fled into the Jungle for a few hours for safety.)
  • The report says that the photo's were on the Frenchman's phone. Sean took photos on a borrowed phone.
  • Sean denies having told the police that he saw any argument in the bar. Indeed, he claimed to have been asleep in his room at the time.

There are probably other discrepancies that I have forgotten. Either the original media report was farcically poor, or the police story that they had just confused Sean's nationality is highly questionable.

If anyone believes he fled in the jungle my names Ian Paisley and I am having T with the Pope in heaven......... Seriously

Yeah they are goner kill me by hanging me from a tree. So I run in the trees. LOL.... the guy is a blagger.

To all the foreigners visiting or living here in Thailand just please be careful not to bump-heads w the locals.I grew up here and I've visited almost all places in TH(part of my job too).I can speak Thai and honestly I never had a prob w them but then again I'm Southeast Asian too.They just don't like foreigners who disrespect them in their own country no matter who they are or what they are.

Just please avoid getting in a fight w them.That's the first rule to keep in mind when coming here.

I read this advice in the Lonely Planet and on this forum too, as Im sure many young backpackers etc do also. I can safely promise you with all assurances that even though mine and many other Thai visitors skins are white or any other non-Asian tone, we are not the instigators of every problem, and if someone attacks me I will defend myself. I take pride in being humble but ready to protect myself if necessary and take all reasonable steps to ensure anyone who attacks me is quickly put in the position that the attack ends. I believe it is the right of a man to protect himself from any threat, no matter they are a visitor or not. I would expect a tourist in any country to do the same, and to be protected by authorities in the instance they were required to do so.

It is time Thailand faced facts and started dealing with crime instead of blaming it on foreigners, and it is time some members of this forum started realising who the real victims are - it was not the owner of the rope who was victimised here.

Edit: To be more precise - sources on "frenchman" being in the same report - the same frenchman that was in protected custody, where Mr.McAnna was not.

These links might help (or might confuse you even more!)

http://friendsinthailand.com/2014/09/23/frenchman-can-id-killers-molestation-witness-in-protective-custody/

Note that the report makes no mention of the minimart incident.

(see also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788835-french-man-found-hanged-in-koh-tao-with-his-hands-tied-behind-his-back-foul-play-suspected/?view=findpost&p=8890170, an earlier post of mine)

Look at the video in http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terrified-pal-murdered-brit-pair-4303495

Forum rules forbid me linking or quoting directly from the Bangkok Post, but there was a report that Pol Col Prachum Ruangthong claimed that Sean had left the island in police protective custody (which presumably means that the video in the Mirror link above was faked). The article also reported that Sean McAnna had been incorrectly identified as French which the police had corrected.

https://crimesontheblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/soundcloud-5th-13-10-2014/

Hope this helps (but I doubt it will). My head hurts every time I try to distinguish truth from fiction in this whole business.

• Like 1

A lot of speculation so far. We need the see the police report to get the facts....which may not be 100% right, but at least it's a starting point.

I do find it hard to believe he committed suicide because he broke up with a girl. There's million's more girls. And his grandpa died, sad but not worth dying over.

A lot of speculation so far. We need the see the police report to get the facts....which may not be 100% right, but at least it's a starting point.

I do find it hard to believe he committed suicide because he broke up with a girl. There's million's more girls. And his grandpa died, sad but not worth dying over.

True but people have killed themselves over Alot more sillier things. Maybe he already suffered depression. Maybe he's tried suicide before and failed.

Without examining the scene I wouldn't know which way but I have investigated deaths before which turned out to be suicide where hands were tied behind the back.

This can't be investigated from behind a keyboard unfortunately.....even by some of the csi trained tvf wannabe's. Lol

• Like 1

When do you figure that police report will be made public and translated into English and printed in the press? wink.png

I would think that a relationship ending would have to rate near the top or possibly the top factor for suicide ... obviously mental issue would be number one but talking about the reason that might push somebody into feeling such depression, despair and hopelessness. Would bet losing a loved one and money problems rate at or near the top in terms of feeling helpless for the average person who doesn;t suffer any mental condition.

Keep in mind they are talking about his breaking up with his girlfriend and not that he was an expat and his "girlfriend" moved to work another bar in another tourist region.

I really thought the conspiracy theories couldn't get more desperate and silly but here it is going to new bizarre depths of trying to find ways (unsupported by anything beyond fantasy) to tie a likely suicide of a tourist to the double murders on Koh Tao.

May or may not have been suicide.

I do not know how long he had been living on Koh Tao, but I do not think he was a casual visitor.

The link with the "protective custody Frenchman" is certainly a stretch, but not an impossible scenario.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Let the investigation take it's course. Thailand is not rife with serial killers or gangsters, most of them come here on the plane.

It appears some use a Ferry too. But in the case of Koh Tao, maybe it is rife.

Let the investigation take it's course. Thailand is not rife with serial killers or gangsters, most of them come here on the plane.

When I arrived here in this village, there were at least 3 guns for hire. 2 were killed by police after they retired without permission. The other after an estimated 200 killings is serving a whole life term in Nakhon Sri Thammerat.

BritTim, on 04 Jan 2015 - 00:01, said:
jabis, on 03 Jan 2015 - 23:12, said:
IslandLover, on 03 Jan 2015 - 23:03, said:

These links might help (or might confuse you even more!)

http://friendsinthailand.com/2014/09/23/frenchman-can-id-killers-molestation-witness-in-protective-custody/

Note that the report makes no mention of the minimart incident.

(see also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788835-french-man-found-hanged-in-koh-tao-with-his-hands-tied-behind-his-back-foul-play-suspected/?view=findpost&p=8890170, an earlier post of mine)

Look at the video in http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terrified-pal-murdered-brit-pair-4303495

Forum rules forbid me linking or quoting directly from the Bangkok Post, but there was a report that Pol Col Prachum Ruangthong claimed that Sean had left the island in police protective custody (which presumably means that the video in the Mirror link above was faked). The article also reported that Sean McAnna had been incorrectly identified as French which the police had corrected.

https://crimesontheblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/soundcloud-5th-13-10-2014/

Hope this helps (but I doubt it will). My head hurts every time I try to distinguish truth from fiction in this whole business.

Thanks for helping me out, BritTim thumbsup.gif

I really thought the conspiracy theories couldn't get more desperate and silly but here it is going to new bizarre depths of trying to find ways (unsupported by anything beyond fantasy) to tie a likely suicide of a tourist to the double murders on Koh Tao.

May or may not have been suicide.

I do not know how long he had been living on Koh Tao, but I do not think he was a casual visitor.

The link with the "protective custody Frenchman" is certainly a stretch, but not an impossible scenario.

My mistake, trying to change my sleep patterns and purposely stayed up all night so getting and mixed up this guy with the young man who died last year, I was just reading about, that was on a visit -- I have no idea how long he had been in Thailand either but based on the pictures if I had to guess he didn't just get here.

Many things are not impossible --- some say nothing is but to even speculate on a connection at this point is beyond absurd and just an indication of how desperate some people are to cling to conspiracies.

And yes, we don't know if suicide for sure but seems more likely than not given what we supposedly know now ... but for sure need to wait for autopsy but even then many will believe what fits their needs..... if murder then must be true and connected and if not then a cover-up because must be connected and can't trust Thai authorities

Just one small question, (if it hasn't already been asked in this long thread).

If you're going to commit suicide by hanging yourself, why would you tie your hands behind your back first?

Commitment. I guess that as you are hanging you could change your mind and struggle and try to release yourself. If you tie your hands first then there is no going back.

Unlike the B2, I think this case is at least possible and that this guy could have committed suicide based on the shabby facts we have so far. From the pics, the noose is very loose and all you would have to do is tie one hand tight and make a loose loop for the other hand that twist around your wrist then step up and put your head into the loose noose and step off. Why you would make a noose out of strings that look like shoe laces and not a stronger rope that you would hope wouldn't break under your weight is beyond me though.

The story of the B2 being possible to commit those 2 murders, that is pure poppycock however.

Edited by KunMatt

Without a) the lacerations in the body cool.png the photos of the deceased c) the prior MO given by a person, graphic enough to match the scene or d) a mystery frenchman providing a testimony on prev. mentioned related case - I'd given some benefit of doubt for the situation. So far the original leaks came from (Khaw or ข่าว) Thailand Online, and a Burmese democracy blogger - the photographer is still unknown. There appears to be some officials one might want to have a word in the background of the photo with the hands tied behind his back (included)

attachicon.gifaskfromthese.jpg

Or am I imagining that?

Originally it was reported (wrongly) that Sean McAnna was French

I guess we're not talking about the frenchman in protective custody then - as that has been refuted by Mr. McAnna himself, that he has not spent one day in such (and AFAIR he had to resort to media to get an escape).

So now who is a frenchman that could have been in protective custody, or was there one at first place?

It all got mixed up by the BK Post...the two photos that Sean released were attributed to an Frenchman

Going back to an earlier thread...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762561-terrified-briton-flees-koh-tao-after-mafia-death-threat/page-9

No, the rtp said the photos were provided by a Frenchman and he is now in protective custody. Could mean that .the Frenchman got the pictures from Sean's post and then gave them to the police, who then placed him in protective custody.

Going by this.

There was a person in protective custody.

Sean was never in protective custody.

The combined article are obviously talking about two people.

Wasn't it last NYE when the English lad supposedly "jumped" off the cliff while on holiday with his family. Two years in a row.....

Yes but I think jumping off the cliff was just a speculation since nobody saw him and think the implication was not suicide but rather an accident based on the behavior of a very drunk 25 year old young man.

December 19, 2014

An inquest into Nick Pearsons death concluded today when acting senior coroner Louise Pinder said he drowned and recorded an open conclusion.

Home Office pathologist Dr Michael Biggs said Nick had 237 mg of alcohol in his body. The UK legal limit for driving is 80 mgs. He said: There were some bruises on his face. He could have fell, bumped, or been assaulted. From a pathologists point of view, his injuries are not from an assault but I cant rule it out. He said a lot of the injuries had occurred after his death.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Nick-Pearson-inquest-Family-Derbyshire-man-dead/story-25741734-detail/story.html#ixzz3NnOmxjOR

Again you presume, you are not objective. You and I don't have a clue what happened to the young man in that link, however you state he is"very drunk". 80mg is the legal limit for driving in the UK which is an amount of alcohol that overly affects your driving ability, the guy had 3 times that so maybe unable to drive but nobody could call him intoxicated.

Oh apart from you.

• Like 1

My mistake, trying to change my sleep patterns and purposely stayed up all night so getting and mixed up this guy with the young man who died last year, I was just reading about, that was on a visit -- I have no idea how long he had been in Thailand either but based on the pictures if I had to guess he didn't just get here.

Many things are not impossible --- some say nothing is but to even speculate on a connection at this point is beyond absurd and just an indication of how desperate some people are to cling to conspiracies.

And yes, we don't know if suicide for sure but seems more likely than not given what we supposedly know now ... but for sure need to wait for autopsy but even then many will believe what fits their needs..... if murder then must be true and connected and if not then a cover-up because must be connected and can't trust Thai authorities

My mistake, trying to change my sleep patterns and purposely stayed up all night so getting and mixed up this guy with the young man who died last year

No problem. It is very difficult trying to keep the various unexplained deaths straight in ones mind. Worth mentioning, though, that Nick Pearson's death really is still unexplained and his poor mother (who was familiar with his level of intoxication) does believe he was murdered.

... to even speculate on a connection at this point is beyond absurd

In an ideal world, I would agree with you. In the current climate on Koh Tao I have mixed feelings. It may be justified to create pressure on the authorities to investigate all possibilities.

we don't know if suicide for sure but seems more likely than not given what we supposedly know now

I really am undecided. The only picture showing a full view of both hands is very fuzzy. The hands do not look far enough apart that stepping through would have been easy. I think it would need to have been done on the ground before getting the noose around his neck. Looking at the verandah scene and its contents, I think he would have needed to jump off the fence around it. Getting the noose around his neck without his hands to help will have been tough. Possible though. In favor of the suicide theory is my sense that he was probably a drop out with some major personal issues.

Just when you think it can't get any worse for Koh Tao. What the hell is going on there ?! Cue the apologists "it can happen anywhere". "

RIP to yet another poor foreigner.

Unfounded and ill thought-out Thai bashing BS. Take a look at these stats...which one might have done before posting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

These aren't the only stats, but I'm referencing these so that you can rank the countries for yourself. Rank away to your heart's content, and you'll find that despite your assertion, Thailand came in 106th......

"Yeah, just much much more likely in Thailand than anywhere else." .......... coffee1.gif

the problem is not the number of deaths but the government sponsored impunity of it.

• Like 1

Please stop speculate that the headman is involved in this, or nomsod.

Come on guys , this is a different case , next we'll hear from the conspiracy theorists is that a speedboat was seen leaving the island.

Let the police and CSI LA do their work first .

RIP

Agreed, however I don't blame posters for the speculation but to name people IMHO is wrong.

December 19, 2014

Again you presume, you are not objective. You and I don't have a clue what happened to the young man in that link, however you state he is"very drunk". 80mg is the legal limit for driving in the UK which is an amount of alcohol that overly affects your driving ability, the guy had 3 times that so maybe unable to drive but nobody could call him intoxicated.

Oh apart from you.

Mr scully, .237 is well intoxicated. People at this level are normally well effected. Unsteady on feet, bloodshot eyes, impaired vision, fine motor skills are virtually non existent, trouble with concentration, balance, reaction times & coordination, poor decision making, impaired reasoning, slurred speech, I could go on about it and before you question me I am well qualified and experience in the field.

I don't like the term 'drunk' but if we must use it then I'd say most people are DEFINATELY well and truely on their way by this stage. Intoxicated at .237 DEFINATELY, all people.

.3, would see a good percentage of people unconscious.

December 19, 2014

Oh apart from you.

He was by definition drunk and you have to be in real denial to suggest otherwise. He was very drunk and there is no doubt his mental, physical and sensory functions were noticeably impaired. Above 200 is were most people begin vomitting and even hard drinkers start to experience black outs.

For Gods sakes do just a tiny bit of research before saying somebody may not be intoxicated who is at 237. I didn't even read the below links but see they have descriptions for various blood alcohol contents but your welcome to search yourself (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS582US582&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=effects%20of%20blood%20alcohol%20content)

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

http://www.fhsu.edu/kellycenter/dawn/Blood-Alcohol-Level/

http://www.lifeloc.com/measurement.aspx

http://barnard.edu/asap/resources/blood-alcohol

And finally, we do have a clue as what happened from various reports --- he was drunk and drowned and like many cases like this we'll never know all the answers because we or investigators weren't there but numerous investigators in two countries indicate it was likely an accident.