Thai tourist dies falling from cliff in Bhutan

Lite Beer

Thai tourist dies falling from cliff in Bhutan

3-1-2558-20-24-54-wpcf_725x413.jpg

A 54-year-old Thai female tourist has died after falling off a cliff in Bhutan, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Based on a report from the Royal Thai Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that the tourist fell off the cliff near Taktsang monastery in Paro, Bhutan.

She is said to been have traveling with a local tour group.

Officials have not yet concluded the cause of the accident but commented that the women may have fallen from the cliff while photographing the scenery.

Her body has already been retrieved and will be sent back to her home country courtesy of Dasho Ugen Tsechup Dorji, the honorary Consul of the Royal Thai Consulate, Thimphu.

Paro Taktsang monastery sits on a cliff in Bhutan. It is a must-visit place for tourists to the country.

The name of the victim and the cause of the accident remained unknown.

Rescue workers pulled the body from the site and the embassy had coordinated with Dasho Ugen Tshechup Dorji , the Thai honourary consul in Thimphu, to arrange for transport of the body to Thailand, the ministry said.

Bhutan police, meanwhile, the Thasi tourist might have fallen from a narrow path which has no railing.

They said the path is so narrow that could allow the railing to be built.

It is also a place where the lanterns were placed by the monastery.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-tourist-dies-falling-cliff-bhutan

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-13

A highly visited scene. A very narrow path with no railing, at a great height. Inevitable accident involving the more aged. Tragic. RIP Lady.

Let's hope something is done to honour her fall, like railings being now put up, which have been long needed all up and down to prevent falls.

The same could be said for a few wats in Ayutthaya.... steep stairs, but nothing to hold onto. I guess we'll have to wait for the same to happen here, to see improvements.

A sad loss, for a family that works hard to get away on holiday. :(

• Like 1

Irony ?

(not to detract from the sad loss of life, but if this was a farang in Thailand, it would be suicide)

If not wanting to detract then why make such a distasteful post about another person losing their life. Sometimes these overly repeated "clever" comments are better left kept to yourself.

Think you missed the point John. if Bhutan even remotely sounded like Koh Tao it would be murder, according to the TV conspiracy club.

Falling from a cliff like that has to be totally terrifying. You're falling, there's nothing to save you, and you know you're going to die. Horrible way to end your last few seconds on earth.

Not really, relatively quick and unsuspected, with a painless finish.

Can think of many worse ways I'd hope not to go.

Officials have not yet concluded the cause of the accident but commented that the women may have fallen from the cliff while photographing the scenery.

For some reason I feel that there was a selfie-stick involved.

A very scary thought. And plausible.

• Like 2

Body of Thai woman who fell in Bhutan found
The Sunday Nation

BHUTAN: -- The body of a Thai tourist who fell down a cliff in Bhutan has been found, according to Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee.

Bhutanese authorities have informed the Thai Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, which is responsible for Thai affairs in Bhutan, about the discovery and retrieval of the woman's body, Sek said yesterday.

The embassy then coordinated with the Thai honorary consul in Bhutan's capital Thimphu about transporting the body back to Thailand, he said.

According to the embassy, the woman on Friday fell from a cliff near Taktsang Monastery, also known as Tiger's Nest, which is a prominent Himalayan Buddhist sacred site and temple complex located in the cliff of a valley in Bhutan.

The woman, in her 50s, was part of a group tour. Her identity and the cause of her fall were not yet known.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Body-of-Thai-woman-who-fell-in-Bhutan-found-30251144.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-04

Irony ?

(not to detract from the sad loss of life, but if this was a farang in Thailand, it would be suicide)

Especially if her hands were tied behind her back.

Obvious suicide!

Wonder if she was taking a" selfi" at the time?

JohnThailandJohn, on 03 Jan 2015 - 23:39, said:snapback.png

bigt116, on 03 Jan 2015 - 22:10, said:snapback.png

Irony ?

If not wanting to detract then why make such a distasteful post about another person losing their life. Sometimes these overly repeated "clever" comments are better left kept to yourself.

Think you missed the point John. if Bhutan even remotely sounded like Koh Tao it would be murder, according to the TV conspiracy club.

Ditto!!!!!!

For some reason I feel that there was a selfie-stick involved.

What made you feel that?... other than the knee-jerk reaction that Thais are airheads on holiday.

A highly visited scene. A very narrow path with no railing, at a great height. Inevitable accident involving the more aged. Tragic. RIP Lady.

Let's hope something is done to honour her fall, like railings being now put up, which have been long needed all up and down to prevent falls.

The same could be said for a few wats in Ayutthaya.... steep stairs, but nothing to hold onto. I guess we'll have to wait for the same to happen here, to see improvements.

A sad loss, for a family that works hard to get away on holiday. sad.png

Very steep steps also at Chichen Itza in Mexico, but they have installed chains and ropes down the middle of the stairs so people can hold on as they go up and down.

post-165088-0-11727400-1420343308_thumb.

post-165088-0-87604000-1420343332_thumb.

Falling from a cliff like that has to be totally terrifying. You're falling, there's nothing to save you, and you know you're going to die. Horrible way to end your last few seconds on earth.

It usually does not happen that way.

Most " cliffs" are not huge overhangs like they are in the roadrunner cartoons.

The body will usually hit, bounce, slide and tumble before coming to a stop.

It must be very painful!

A free fall onto a flat surface almost never happens

I did search and rescue work for a while and never saw a freefall from a cliff.

• Like 2

I used to go hiking in the mountains quite a bit and it became second nature. I was always safe, but every year I would sort of cringe at the deaths each season. Condolences to this lady's family. It could happen to anyone, really.

Witnesses: Thai tourist fell to death while taking selfie

BANGKOK, 4 Jan 2015 (NNT) – A Thai female who died after falling off a cliff while on visit to a temple in Bhutan was taking a selfie when the accident happened, according to eye witnesses.

The witnesses said the tourist, identified as Mrs. Nawarat Bawornjirapat, was leaning against a flag pole on the narrow passage near Taktsang Monastery in Paro to photograph herself when she slipped and fell off the cliff. The area on which she stood had no barriers. The cliff is about 300-400 meters in height.

The 54-year-old tourist is the owner of Louis Crane & Transport Co., Ltd. She is said to have been traveling with a local tour group. Her body has already been retrieved and will soon be sent back to Thailand with the help of Dasho Ugen Tsechup Dorji, the honorary consul of Royal Thai Consulate, Thimphu.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-04 footer_n.gif

A sad loss, for a family that works hard to get away on holiday. sad.png

+1...Many times, it take someone dying, to move people into doing what is needed.

This monastery, also known as 'the Tiger's nest' is one of the most breathtaking and spiritually challenging places I've seen in Asia and yes the approach is pretty dangerous and not well secured at all, just like 99% of similar places in Asia.

When I was a kid I lived in the Alps mountains and when people fell to their death for whatever reason, locals, other tourists and journalists felt sorry for them and expressed their condolences, but did not immediately start to look for someone to blame.

This blaming mania is a fairly recent phenomenon, born in the US, connected with the insurance/lawsuit mania, and it has a whole range of extremely negative side-effects.

It's as if we could no longer accept the fact that life is a dangerous activity and has to come to an end, one way or another. Of course we don't have to do all the dangerous things that we do and which are part of our lives, we can stay in bed and die of boredom, thirst, hunger, self-pity, you name it.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

This monastery, also known as 'the Tiger's nest' is one of the most breathtaking and spiritually challenging places I've seen in Asia and yes the approach is pretty dangerous and not well secured at all, just like 99% of similar places in Asia.

When I was a kid I lived in the Alps mountains and when people fell to their death for whatever reason, locals, other tourists and journalists felt sorry for them and expressed their condolences, but did not immediately start to look for someone to blame.

This blaming mania is a fairly recent phenomenon, born in the US, connected with the insurance/lawsuit mania, and it has a whole range of extremely negative side-effects.

It's as if we could no longer accept the fact that life is a dangerous activity and has to come to an end, one way or another. Of course we don't have to do all the dangerous things that we do and which are part of our lives, we can stay in bed and die of boredom, thirst, hunger, self-pity, you name it.

I am with you on this one. Let Darwin's theory work.

Lets dumb everything down so that BillyBoyJimBob, now known as BettyGirlJaneBeth due to unexpected severing or the male parts due to stupidity can survive and listen for the banjo music.

Sh!t maybe I should set up a banjo shop.

Has the world has gone mad or is it just me.

"A Thai female who died after falling off a cliff while on visit to a temple in Bhutan was taking a selfie when the accident happened, according to eye witnesses."

The last image on her phone confirmed the statements of the eye witnesses ?

Very Sad that the woman lost her life.

These two pics scared the hell out of me in Chaiyapoom, August this year (when the 'daffodills' were blooming). I was really hoping someone would grab this girl, she was cavorting around on this ledge for some time, back tpost-184129-0-79012200-1420366333_thumb.post-184129-0-03602000-1420366341_thumb.o the edge, taking selfies. OMG.