Thai non b for 3 years impossible?

I work online and wondered with the new regs if I could be ok to have a business in Thailand?

Looking at the visas I can get a non b for 3 years with 90 day runs, do I need proof of income? Can I do it without the 90 day visa runs?

My girlfriend is selling her house and doing the move with me but has a dog and it costs silly money to get him over their and obviously she doesn't want to get there only to be told to go back after 3 months or so. This is why we need a solid visa, preferably without going to the boarder.

Just looking for the easiest way to stay in Thailand.

It is not impossible but you would have to apply for it in your home country and meet the requirements shown here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15386-Three-year-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-B.html

This visa is meant for frequent business travelers not to live here.

You could register a company here, get a work permit and then get a one year extension of stay or a multiple entry non-b visa. You would need 4 Thai employees to get the work permit and extension of stay.

You cannot "have", ie own, a business in Thailand. A minimum of three shareholders are needed to register a company, of which you can be one, ie own a part of the company but not all of it. With a few exceptions, foreigners can own at most 49% of the company's shares.

With the appropriate work permit you can be appointed the manager of a company and in this sense "have" a business.

You cannot "have", ie own, a business in Thailand. A minimum of three shareholders are needed to register a company, of which you can be one, ie own a part of the company but not all of it. With a few exceptions, foreigners can own at most 49% of the company's shares.

With the appropriate work permit you can be appointed the manager of a company and in this sense "have" a business.

I don't think this is true. If the business is not on the restricted list and if it is 100% export, then foreigners can own 100%.

I don't think this is true. If the business is not on the restricted list and if it is 100% export, then foreigners can own 100%.

that is very interesting and I am sure that you can post a link to the relevant piece of legislation that clarifies it.... you can, can't you ?

Not per se.

However there are clauses in the Thai Foreign Business Act allowing branch offices to be set up for foreign companies which are still liable to Thai Tax (max 5 years), or for Representative Offices (subject to strict limitations and to all intent and purpose not for trading.

A condition for approval of a Foreign Business License for a branch of a foreign corporation is that minimum capital amounting to no less than five million baht be brought into Thailand within four years of start-up. The branch may be allowed to operate for a period of five years, unless a shorter period is applied for. Extension of the original duration of the license to operate may be granted, provided that the working capital to be brought into Thailand requirement is met.

Scope of Representative Office Activities

“International trading business” means activities concerning:

• Sourcing of goods or services for head office
  • Checking and controlling the quality and quantity of goods purchased or hired to manufacture in Thailand by the head office
  • Giving advice concerning goods of the head office sold to agents or consumers in Thailand
  • Dissemination of information concerning new goods or services of the head office
  • Reporting on business trends in Thailand to the head office.

The above international trading business is regarded as a service activity under Schedule 3 of the Foreign Business Act, and thus the establishment of a representative office requires an alien business license from the Director-General of the Department of Business Development.

that is very interesting and I am sure that you can post a link to the relevant piece of legislation that clarifies it.... you can, can't you ?

He is referring to a representative office, whole different ball game , valid only for 5 years, need to remit thb 5 million into Thailand and cannot "trade" per se in Thailand

Nothing to do with restricted occupations list

Edited by Soutpeel

Not true for all nationalities. Americans can have sole proprietorship but some restrictions apply to business dealings ie. no ownership of land.

I hope you are not an American, because the Thai Embassy in Washington and the Thai Consulate in Las Angeles had NO knowledge of it's existence. I don't care if any one believes me or not, but I had experienced it personally myself awhile back. I had to walk the Staff from both the Embassy and the Consulate to the mfa.go.th website and go step by step with them regarding the VISA. I was told by the person that they were NOT aware if anyone ever applied for one and that they were also not even aware of its existence. I had to wait 48 Hours for return phone calls to get the information I needed regarding the VISA. Shocking experience which I had not expected at all.

The 3 year non-B is not normally issued as it is a whole process to acquire. (And I believe it must be approved in Thailand first before the embassy will issue) and it has restrictions in that you can not get extensions of stay on it. Most people opt for a 1 year multiple, much less hassle.

I'm from the UK smile.png

I also read that there was a company that do sponsorship (company work with this site) for 1 year? Would that be an option? Pay £160 odd and stay on sponsorship for 1 year?

Sponsorship of what?

To get a business visa, so you are working with them.

I'm from the UK smile.png

I also read that there was a company that do sponsorship (company work with this site) for 1 year? Would that be an option? Pay £160 odd and stay on sponsorship for 1 year?

Sponsorship of what?

To get a business visa, so you are working with them.

There are some firms that advertise on the is site but they are not sponsors.

What they offer is paperwork to get a multiple entry non-b visa that will be valid for a year. But they do no guarantee you will get the visa. You would not be working with them.

Most I have seen advertised cost much more than you mentioned.

If your business is software-related it might qualify for a Board of Investment promotion.

This requires 2,000,000 baht registered capital which is paid in over the first year of operation (this can be used for salary for yourself and your employees). You will need to hire a couple Thai employees, but it is more flexible than the 4:1 ratio for non-BOI companies, you just need to explain and justify your hiring plan to the BOI.