I may have made a big mistake. Need advice

Greeting fellow travelers. I may have screwed up, but i'd like to know my options before leaving (this week). I bought round trip airfare for a 36 day stay in Thailand. I did not get a Tourist Visa here in the US. My fear is I will not be granted entry to Thailand upon arrival. In the past I over stayed by four days due to travel changes made once I was already in Thailand. I simply paid 500B per day at the airport for the over stay.

Will I be admitted or denied entry? Does anyone have any experience with my situation?

-Is it up to the immigration officer upon arrival?

-Should I buy a cheap budget airline ticket showing round trip airfare to a near by country and have this with me. Will this gain me entry at time of arrival?

-Can I pay for an extension at the airport upon arrival?

-Am I over thinking this?

I realize i'm in the final hours and didn't think this through.Thanks for the help guys.

As said the only issue might be airline - so arrive early and be prepared to buy refundable or throw-away ticket to Malaysia or another place (or even use). If airline stops you first explain that Thailand now allows extension of 30 more days and you plan to do that - if that is not accepted go to phase two and buy a ticket out within the 30 days.

As said above do not plan to overstay - it was always a risk if found out and this is no longer looked upon as no foul if paid - obtain the extension if not leaving for 36 days.

• Like 1

I guess it's too late to apply for a tourist visa in your city?

Does your airline not allow date changes? Recently changed a flight with BA online, albeit 2k baht + any ticket difference. Failing that, I'd be inclined toI'd be inclined to book a flight out... Air Asia Hat Yai-KL for about 1k.

What airline are you flying? I'd call them immediately and see what they say.

As mentioned above, worst case, buy a fully refundable ticket at the airport. It's been quite a few years since I've had to do this, but last time, I got all the money refunded back to my credit card. A bit of a hassle, but at least you'll be able to board the plane.

You shouldn't have any problems here on arrival in Thailand.

• Like 1

I had this issue last January when I flew out of Wellington to Bangkok via Sydney with Qantas.

Qantas denied me boarding based on the rule which states I was granted a 30 day visa waiver based on the intention to leave the country within those 30 days. I showed them an intenerary in which I was going to Laos after 28 days, with hotel phone numbers, room costings, transport options, costings and transit times but this was not enough for them. They deemed "intention to depart the Kingdom" as having a ticket to prove that I was going to leave. They wanted me to show them the bus ticket to Laos.. shows how much they knew about SE Asia.

I ended up having to stand in front of them with my Air Asia app, telling them "I am buying this ticket to satisfy your requirements although the ticket I am buying will not be used and I will be leaving under the arrangements previously shown to you". An absolute farce that cost me a few hundred dollars NZ.

I would suggest preparing for this in advance, and buying a throw away ticket with either Airasia, Thai Lion or Tiger which can be flashed if necessary. You could also try Cebu Pacific flying to Angeles (known as Clark) as they occaisionally have 1 peso fares which work out about 7-800 baht after all fees are paid.

The issue is not the law, but that western countries do not understand that in SE Asia the law is open to interpretation (and designed so), and there is no hard and fast in regards to this. They therefore take the hardest line necessary and demand you have an outbound ticket pre-booked prior to boarding.

Your cheapest route is most likely Bangkok to KL or Bangkok to Penang during a special.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 1

Several good suggestions here. (I would be curious if the $40 trip to KL worked and if that is round trip or more likely one way)

One thing to keep in mind, the reason airlines are so strict at boarding is that if they deliver someone without the proper visa, then they are subject to some heavy fines.

Edited by utkb

Several good suggestions here. (I would be curious if the $40 trip to KL worked and if that is round trip or more likely one way)

One thing to keep in mind, the reason airlines are so strict at boarding is that if they deliver someone without the proper visa, then they are subject to some heavy fines.

All that that is needed is an onward ticket out of the country, A one way ticket will be accepted.

The $40 ticket is a one way.

If you have a visa of any type a return or onward ticket is not required.

The rules airlines go by are the ones you can find here from a IATA data base. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

• Like 1

Maybe if you book a room for a couple nights in Cambodia or somewhere, you can show that your plan is to travel outside of Thailand for a few days.

This is a smart choice. You can indicate that you plan to travel to Cambodia via train once you arrive in Thailand.

You will have no problem at the airport or at immigration as far as the airlines are concerned you only need a onward ticket they do no care how long you stay and will not check if you have a visa. You can also get a seven day extension at immigration or risk the overstay at 500b a day . If you plan on returning to Thailand get the extension as you already have one overstay in your passport, not a good look having too many overstays and if you get caught before you go to the airport you could end up in the monkey house. Have a good trip.

I had some problems in May with Qatar airways flying back to Bangkok from Hanoi without a onward ticket even though I had a new non-b visa until they realized that my port of origin going to Vietnam had been Bangkok. But on my flight to Vietnam they did not even check for a visa (visa exemption for the Nordic countries so no visa) at the check-in desk.

You will have no problem at the airport or at immigration as far as the airlines are concerned you only need a onward ticket they do no care how long you stay and will not check if you have a visa. You can also get a seven day extension at immigration or risk the overstay at 500b a day . If you plan on returning to Thailand get the extension as you already have one overstay in your passport, not a good look having too many overstays and if you get caught before you go to the airport you could end up in the monkey house. Have a good trip.

He can obtain a 30 day extension of stay from immigration under current rules with TM.7/1,900 baht and onward ticket. That 7 days was the old refused extension of stay time to depart country stamp - it was never an official extension (although you in effect could stay up to 7 more days).

I would ask the Thai embassy in your country first.

Second: have already a visa for a few days in your passport already during your trip for ... Cambodia etc to proof you are not over 30 days in TH.

Last: why not a business visa for .. 2 months ?

Once an overstay of a few days in TH is no reason to refuse a new visa.

Your problem is NOT to get in TH sufficient days to stay, but.. your departure from the country you are now.

I made a similiar mistake a couple of years ago. My intention was to get the thirty day on arrival visa. I purchased a round trip ticket from Seattle to Bangkok from "cheapo air" I would have been gone for 45 days. After printing out my intinerary I noticed my mistake, within 1 hour of booking. I called back the travel agency to change my return flight date, with only a 30 day stay in Thailand. I was charged $200 to change the date. I am more careful now after a costly error. 55

Thank you for the suggestions. I've booked a cheap hotel in Cambodia. If need be I'll book a one ticket to Cambodia from bangkok at the ticket counter.

This man is right , i got away with it in the past about 4 years ago ,even at that time they almost did not let me board ,until i said that i would make it my own responsability if i was turned down on arrival.

i had no problem what so ever passing through immigration in Bangkok. got my one month ,and that's it !

but last time from LA ,they would not have let me on , but i had a visa .

So ,booking a cheap flight to a near by country might get you on . and if they refuse ,do like me ,and say you take the responsability if they don't accept you in Bangkok .What's their business anyway ? they are just transporters..........

If at last you need to .You will have to change the flight ,and get the dam visa .Good luck.........

Thank you for the suggestions. I've booked a cheap hotel in Cambodia. If need be I'll book a one ticket to Cambodia from bangkok at the ticket counter.

This man is right , i got away with it in the past about 4 years ago ,even at that time they almost did not let me board ,until i said that i would make it my own responsability if i was turned down on arrival.

i had no problem what so ever passing through immigration in Bangkok. got my one month ,and that's it !

but last time from LA ,they would not have let me on , but i had a visa .

So ,booking a cheap flight to a near by country might get you on . and if they refuse ,do like me ,and say you take the responsability if they don't accept you in Bangkok .What's their business anyway ? they are just transporters..........

If at last you need to .You will have to change the flight ,and get the dam visa .Good luck.........

The airline that flys you out without checking your visa status properly pays the airfair to return you home on the next available flight.

• Like 1

Is this a new issue? Last year I left the US from LA, oneway to Chiang Mai. Didn't have an issue. Same when I went from Thailand to Viet Nam. And when I left Viet Nam. Same when I flew from Thailand to Ecuador. All on oneway tickets. Never had a problem. Is it just my innocent face that tells them I'm not up to no good?

The 30 day entry you will get can be extended for a further 30 days once you are in country, at the immigration office wherever you will stay. You will not have an issue at immigration at the airport when you arrive. The issue you might have is at the airport in the US when you check in. They can deny boarding if you don't have a visa or onward ticket within 30 days.

well last june my wife and i flew to thailand with no return ticket they didnt care. got 30 and extended 30 and there was no problem. even when i flew to cyprus for a month no one asked. and that was a different air line. same with egypt got 30 day when arrived in both . just call and find out but most ticket desks wont ask or if they do ask just you dont need one. some times its better to just by one way ticket and then buy one when your ready to leave. they dont ask when you get to thailand any way, never had them ever ask

Is this a new issue? Last year I left the US from LA, oneway to Chiang Mai. Didn't have an issue. Same when I went from Thailand to Viet Nam. And when I left Viet Nam. Same when I flew from Thailand to Ecuador. All on oneway tickets. Never had a problem. Is it just my innocent face that tells them I'm not up to no good?

no i have done same i always do one way tickets. to many country's that allow 30 60 or 90 DAY stays w/o visa. never been asked one. last year flew to thailand didnt have. same with this year never been asked. for onward ticket cyprus , egypt germany ect and never been asked to have a return ticket i dont like round trip tickets if i decide to go some where else i can, kinda of like country hopping lol

Edited by camsouth

A cheap hotel reservation is not proof of onward travel and would not be accepted in case the airline wants to enforce the regulations.

• Like 1

I made a similiar mistake a couple of years ago. My intention was to get the thirty day on arrival visa. I purchased a round trip ticket from Seattle to Bangkok from "cheapo air" I would have been gone for 45 days. After printing out my intinerary I noticed my mistake, within 1 hour of booking. I called back the travel agency to change my return flight date, with only a 30 day stay in Thailand. I was charged $200 to change the date. I am more careful now after a costly error. 55

Try Expedia, 24 hours to cancel for no charge.

I flew many times to BKK on a visa-free entry. I never was asked about a return ticket, not from any airline, not from the immigration in BKK.

"As not happened to me" doesn't mean somethings doesn't happen, in fact it does.

From that the need to be aware and do something about it to avoid an unpleasant situation.

Edited by paz

I flew many times to BKK on a visa-free entry. I never was asked about a return ticket, not from any airline, not from the immigration in BKK.

"As not happened to me" doesn't mean somethings doesn't happen, in fact it does.

From that the need to be aware and do something about it to avoid an unpleasant situation.

Indeed. I fly into BKK 20 or so times per year and probably 30% of the time (especially from EU) I am asked about my return ticket or how long I will stay. I never had a problem as always had an answer but as evidenced here sometimes it is a real issue and can end up with the need to book the unwanted ticket out.