Worsening traffic problem predicted in Bangkok this year

Lite Beer

Worsening traffic problem predicted in Bangkok this year

IMG_20150104_134134-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkokians were told to brace for worsening traffic problem this year as construction of seven more mass transit lines are due to start in addition to several rail lines already under construction.

Transport permanent secretary Mrs Soithip Traisuth said Saturday that construction of the following rail lines are to commence this year which will worsen the traffic gridlock.

The new rail lines include: the Green Line from Mor Chit to Saphan Mai and Khoo Khot; the extension of Airport Rail Link from Phya Thai to Bang Sue and Don Mueang; the Red Line between Bang Sue, Phya Thai, Makkasan and Hua Mark and the Deep Red Line between Bang Sue and Hualampong; the Orange Line from the National Cultural Centre to Min Buri; the Yellow Line from Lat Phrao to Samrong; the Pink Line from Kay Line to Min Buri.

Mrs Soithip said the Transport Ministry would coordinate with authorities concerned to map out to road space management plan to cause as little as possible problem to road surface especially at bottleneck areas and at bus stops and expressway toll plazas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/worsening-traffic-problem-predicted-bangkok-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-04

Although I understand that from 'Master Plan' to actual start is a long traject, I'm still surprised that these lines are all told to start 'digging in' this year. It's like five years nothing happened and all of a sudden ... ...

I wonder if the planners know that there are more possibilities between 'strictly in parallel' and 'strictly in sequence' execution.

3 stories to day focused on traffic.

Poor traffic management, poor driving skills, 2nd highest record of fatalities.

Thailand needs money to build public transport infrastructure,

Impose fines for bad driving, divert the funds into subsidizing public transport build.

encourage better driving by fining any transgressors, it seems to work for the rest of the world.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Hmn ?, Lets see - if, for 10 years you have an annually worsening traffic congestion problem, then you add 100,000 new vehicles, take absolutely no action, ( other then 132 meetings with free lunches ), I would expect things to worsen. I wonder when some citizen, dealing with this daily, possibly a tough boss, nagging wife, will take some unruly action ?

Glad I still don't live there then. It's bad enough as it is.

If you live in the suburbs and use the Skytrain or MRT plus then maybe a public Bus to your specific place / Soi, then you won't have to worry about the traffic at all.

It will get better once those new lines have been completed. Ramkhamhaeng area is a serious mess and the traffic there is one reason why I moved to another area Three years ago where I am almost guaranteed predictable travelling time using Bus and Skytrain.

But if you think Bangkok traffic is the worst, you are wrong. Compared to Jakarta or Manila, Bangkok is a walk in the park......