O-A Extension with a 6 month absence

In August 2013 we (husband & I) were issued with a 1 year Non-Immigrant O-A. We spend most of 2014 in Thailand and had the O-A extended to July 2015 with a trip out of the country.

Then due to family circumstances we had to head back to Australia in December and will not return until late April 2015.

My concern is in relation to the financial requirements to gain a further 1 year extension, which will be due in July 2015.

Between super and rental income we have a combined income of 1,370,000 baht per annum and I understand we will need to season at least an additional 230,00 baht for 3 months prior to making application. However as we will have been living in Australia for nearly 6 months, no funds will be going into Thailand as they were while we were living there. Is this going to cause a problem and if so any thoughts on how to avoid it.

I much appreciate any help with this. I am a bit of a worrier. Thanks in advance. Cheers Maree

I hope you got re-entry permits before leaving or your the permit to stay you had when you left will no longer be valid when you enter the country.

Only one of you has to meet the income requirement of 65k baht to apply for an extension of stay. All that will be needed is a statutory declaration form the embassy to prove the income. The one without the extension can get a dependent extension with no financial proof needed.

Both of you would need to prove an income of 65k baht for you both to get extensions. A joint income of 130k baht or a combination of both incomes and money in the bank totaling 1.6 million baht would not be accepted.

• Like 1

Note that income can be from abroad but money in the bank needs to be in a bank account in Thailand.

There is no requirement to transfer your income to Thailand.

As this will be your first extension, the money needs to be seasoned for only two months. After that it needs to be for 3 months prior to an extension.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Yes, re-entry all sorted.

Urbanjoe, you raise in interesting possibility. I was going to have everything split, so that we each had 65k baht each as we each have our own super, but I really like the option of a dependent extension. Other than a marriage certificate, will I need anything else. Also will this give me a year again?

Thanks in advance. Cheers Maree.

Your marriage certificate and a copy of your husbands passport photo page and extension of stay stamp is all that is needed.

You will get a permit to stay date from the extension equal to your husbands after he gets his one year extension.

Oh...! So even if a spouse is OVER 50y old she (or he) can get a dependent extension?

I was under the impression that dependent extension is only good if under 50y old...

Edited by kilt

Note that income can be from abroad but money in the bank needs to be in a bank account in Thailand.

As this will be your first extension, the money needs to be seasoned for only two months. After that it needs to be for 3 months prior to an extension.

Isn't it the other way around?

First extension 3 months.

After that 2 months

After that 2 months

No, it is as I wrote.

The first time they give you time to open a bank account and transfer the money into your bank account in Thailand.

After that 2 months

No, it is as I wrote.

The first time they give you time to open a bank account and transfer the money into your bank account in Thailand.

Sorry Mario, I might be getting a bit confused here. I am referring to extending a non-O-Immigrant Visa, Married to Thai Wife

After that 2 months

No, it is as I wrote.

Sorry Mario, I might be getting a bit confused here. I am referring to extending a non-O-Immigrant Visa, Married to Thai Wife

For an extension of stay based upon marriage it is 2 months for every extension.

• Like 1