Metro Police to install new speed detectors this year

Lite Beer

Metro Police to install new speed detectors this year

BANGKOK, 4 January 2015 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Police Bureau is set to install new speed detectors in Bangkok within this year to solve traffic problems and reduce the accident rate.

Pol. Maj. Gen Adul Narongsak, the Deputy Chief of Metropolitan Police Bureau, has revealed that the Metropolitan Police aims to enforce additional laws on safety belts and speeding limits in this year.

He said that 88 roads in Bangkok under the supervision of the Metropolitan Police stations will be equipped with new speed detectors to enforce the law on speed limit, along with enforcing stricter laws in an attempt to prevent road accidents.

In previous year, the Metropolitan Police Bureau had launched the road safety awareness campaign as well as enforcing stricter traffic laws in the Bangkok area to cope with traffic issues and accidents, said Metropolitan Police Bureau Deputy Chief.

The Metropolitan Police Department has stated that one of the main objectives of 2015 is to prevent accidents that happen in the major roads, through the detection of speeding motorists along with enforcing the law with more strictness in order to create a law abiding conscious in the public. The police will concentrate the main roads that are more prone to accidents as the first priority.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-04 footer_n.gif

With as many vehicles on Bangkok roads going breakneck speeds, bumper-to-bumper, it's going to be tough for any speed detector to focus on one vehicle. Maybe it will just be the type of detector that displays the speed you are travelling on a sign for your info only...no ticket issued or BIB waiting down the road a hundred meters. If so, that will be good as I'm sure most everyone will strive to improve (increase) their average speed.

The police will concentrate the main roads that are more prone to accidents as the first priority.

I would be interested in knowing if the statistics actually show that main roads are more prone to accidents. In my neighborhood, under age teens and families with babies fly around on motorbikes with no helmets every evening... and never a policeman in sight.

Could it be that these main roads are where the police booths are, so the detectors will provide a new reason to collect money?

• Like 1

In the UK we have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) Cameras which are linked to a centralised data base, it can tell if a car is insured, taxed, MOT'ed (Certificate of Road Worthiness), owner disqualified, etc.

Wonder how long it will take for Thailand to catch up?

In the UK we have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) Cameras which are linked to a centralised data base, it can tell if a car is insured, taxed, MOT'ed (Certificate of Road Worthiness), owner disqualified, etc.

Wonder how long it will take for Thailand to catch up?

Neither of our lifetimes, sadly.

Detection, however that may be defined, is one thing then comes how offenders are or are not dealt with.

Fines alone don't work so drivers and riders keep speeding and paying up irrespective of whether the fine is official or not.

Persistent offenders need to lose their licence and for a sensible period not a ridiculous 7 days. Driving while disqualified needs to carry jail time since it is contempt of court.

The downside of these suggestions as that there needs to be a complete change in the mindset of the BIB and the courts.

A proper national index of disqualified drivers would need to be set up and made use of properly not just as a way to squeeze even more tea money. It would take time, effort and budget to be implemented.

Unfortunately the last three sentences all but write the suggestions off.

• Like 2

Cool. Now all we need are signs to tell us what the speed limits are. Or is that just a minor technicality?

No need for signs. That's why the cops are there. Hiding behind the toll booths, ready to pounce on the hood of your vehicle.

I call them, Toll Trolls.

I watched my speedometer this one time as I approached the toll booth. 35. Paid the toll and the Toll Troll jumps out!

Speeding. 3000 baht.

How fast?

Uh-huh.

The 1st thing I thought of was how the not royal but Terrible Police (TP) made automatic traffic lights inoperable in BKK for fear that automation would "take their job." Money intended to alleviate traffic congestion was squandered resulting in long waits at intersections. There - of course - were no arrests. TIT BEWARE.

Well then... there it is ... "along with enforcing the law"

They can throw all the money in the world at the problem of dangerous drivers and it is all for nothing because (and I see it all the time) police do not enforce the law.

Speed detectors to be deployed on city streets

1-5-2015-11-08-17-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Speed detectors will now be deployed by the Metropolitan Police Bureau in its effort to reduce traffic-related deaths and serious injuries on Bangkok streets.

Deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak revealed that the speed limit measure to reduce traffic accidents on city streets was through the drastic enforcement of additional laws on safety belts and speeding limits.

A total of 88 roads in the capital under the supervision of the metropolitan police stations will be deployed with new speed detectors to monitor speeding, police will also enforce stricter laws in an attempt to prevent road accidents.

In previous year, the Metropolitan Police Bureau had launched the road safety awareness campaign as well as enforcing stricter traffic laws in the Bangkok area to cope with traffic issues and accidents but still was insufficient to reduce accidents, he said.

The Metropolitan Police Department has stated that one of the main objectives of this year is to prevent accidents that happen in the major roads, through the detection of speeding motorists along with enforcing the law with more strictness in order to create consciousness of traffic law abidance among the public.

The police will concentrate on the main roads that are more prone to accidents as the first priority.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/speed-detectors-deployed-city-streets

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-05

Speed detectors to be deployed on city streets

1-5-2015-11-08-17-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Speed detectors will now be deployed by the Metropolitan Police Bureau in its effort to reduce traffic-related deaths and serious injuries on Bangkok streets.

Deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak revealed that the speed limit measure to reduce traffic accidents on city streets was through the drastic enforcement of additional laws on safety belts and speeding limits.

A total of 88 roads in the capital under the supervision of the metropolitan police stations will be deployed with new speed detectors to monitor speeding, police will also enforce stricter laws in an attempt to prevent road accidents.

In previous year, the Metropolitan Police Bureau had launched the road safety awareness campaign as well as enforcing stricter traffic laws in the Bangkok area to cope with traffic issues and accidents but still was insufficient to reduce accidents, he said.

The Metropolitan Police Department has stated that one of the main objectives of this year is to prevent accidents that happen in the major roads, through the detection of speeding motorists along with enforcing the law with more strictness in order to create consciousness of traffic law abidance among the public.

The police will concentrate on the main roads that are more prone to accidents as the first priority.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/speed-detectors-deployed-city-streets

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-01-05

There you go, problem solved.

Watch out for the pigs flying past.

Cool. Now all we need are signs to tell us what the speed limits are. Or is that just a minor technicality?

That is very True, I haven't seen any signs for speed limit. How will the cops pull you over, they sit at the tables, they have scooters not real motorcycles to chase you down and people don't pull over for sirens or lights. Glad when I rode in an Ambulance my reason wasn't life threatening!

With as many vehicles on Bangkok roads going breakneck speeds, bumper-to-bumper, it's going to be tough for any speed detector to focus on one vehicle. Maybe it will just be the type of detector that displays the speed you are travelling on a sign for your info only...no ticket issued or BIB waiting down the road a hundred meters. If so, that will be good as I'm sure most everyone will strive to improve (increase) their average speed.

Most likely it'll be what they're already using on the toll ways ... i.e., digital cameras that clock you and automatically send you a speeding ticket fine which you must pay. My Thai wife has received three within the past six months. She's hell on wheels, but fortunately a skilled strategic driver. In fact, I let her do all the driving while I snooze, or do email or play with my tech toys.

That is very True, I haven't seen any signs for speed limit. How will the cops pull you over, they sit at the tables, they have scooters not real motorcycles to chase you down and people don't pull over for sirens or lights. Glad when I rode in an Ambulance my reason wasn't life threatening!

With the digital cameras the cops don't have to do anything. You'll just receive a speeding ticket in the mail. BTW, there are speed limit signs on the toll ways.

• Like 1