Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015

Lite Beer

Most people don't have the time or money to visit everywhere that might be a potential place to move. So publications like IL can help you sift down the likelier options. One naive mistake I notice people often make is to spend their time exploring countries for retirement that they don't have a chance for visa qualification. For many countries, that's pretty objective, just looking at numbers.

Edited by Jingthing

I am retired and I do actually hope to spend more time in Thailand, but the way I feel about

not ever being able to stay there without at least being able to have a visa that lets me travel out of

the country at least once or twice a year,... [snip]

You are misinformed. There are sinlge and multiple re-entries available.

• Like 2

I am retired and I do actually hope to spend more time in Thailand, but the way I feel about

not ever being able to stay there without at least being able to have a visa that lets me travel out of

the country at least once or twice a year,... [snip]

You are misinformed. There are sinlge and multiple re-entries available.

Indeed. You could be out of Thailand every day of the year except the last day in the year of your annual retirement extension to get a new one! There are no residency requirements at all for retirement status in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Most people don't have the time or money to visit everywhere that might be a potential place to move. So publications like IL can help you sift down the likelier options. One naive mistake I notice people often make is to spend their time exploring countries for retirement that they don't have a chance for visa qualification. For many countries, that's pretty objective, just looking at numbers.

" For many countries, that's pretty objective, just looking at numbers. "

Examples JT?

​I figure you, JT, could likely retire wherever you want as long as the host country allows retirement as an option.

Never ceases to amaze me that all these negative comments are no doubt in the main from people who chose to live here, and continue to live here. Why is there not a mass exodus over the border to Malaysia who are ranked 4th or over to South America? I was not aware the Thai government were forcing people to stay here against their will. If you find things so bad here for God's sake go! I retired here 11 years ago after looking at the positives and the negatives and have no desire to move elsewhere. Shangri La does not exist anywhere and every country has pluses and minuses. You choose to live here, you accept the good and the bad. If you can't accept the bad then should not be here.

I don't think Malaysia has any "Happy Ending Massage Parlors" do they? LOL

Malaysia has plenty of happy ending massage parlours - not as many as Thailand but still plenty.

" For many countries, that's pretty objective, just looking at numbers. "

Examples JT?

​I figure you, JT, could likely retire wherever you want as long as the host country allows retirement as an option.

I wish that were so but actually my current personal options are very limited and will only expand somewhat when I reach government pension age. Even Mexico is out as their pension requirement is well above what mine will be. Australia? Fuggedaboutit!

I liked Thailand anyway but the fact that they offered a moderate level bank account based retirement qualification option sealed the deal. (Very few other countries offer that.)

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

When I first got here and for the subsequent two or so years, I felt that Thailand was arguably the best country to retire to that I had come across.

Now that my rose tinted glasses are off, I'm not so sure. There are many advantages, that's for sure. But as we age, some of these perks are no longer a priority item. I'm starting to consider some other countries such as the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia and even as far afield as Columbia!

Some people really ought to think before they type. I have a friend lives in PI and he never stops moaning about the place. Shit food, corruption that makes Thailand appear an upstanding member of the international community. Mega storms blowing in annually.

"But as we age," you say, then mention Cambodia, nice place but very little in the way of health care. Laos, OK if you like the wild west or need to 'disappear' Columbia, no idea TBH but am pretty sure drugs and associated violence is a big issue there.

As for all the other whiners on here, yes, Thailand is far from perfect, but if its really that bad you have to jump to your keyboard offering negative comments to a survey that doesn't count for shit, then it's surely time you relocated.

I see. So your one friend in PI is the definitive word on living in the PI? Has he lived all over the PI or just Pasay or Mabini or Metro Manila? Strangely enough, I do also have a friend (Swiss) who now owns about 3 properties in the PI because that's where he will retire to.

Talking about thinking before typing. You state yourself that you have no idea about Columbia yet able to pull out a big generalisation about drugs and violence. What a joke. Try taking your own advice sometime.

Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law with the Muslim hardliners demanding and getting more say as time goes on.

Spot on, Pinot. Many of non-Malay and non-Muslim who have left Malaysia. Ask the one million who have left or read "Malaysia Economic Monitor

Replacing the "brain" are the "brawn" Indonesia, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. Many of the new migrants may be from Africa and middle east. May be it is these people who voted for the ranking to be up.
Replacing the moderates are the fundamentals Muslim from Middle East. Iranian exiles flock to Malaysia, an imperfect utopia - See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/iranian-exiles-flock-to-malaysia-an-imperfect-utopia#sthash.y0MFZ6d3.dpuf
Crime rate are up with the new migrants.
Nigerian Scammers Have Made Malaysia The New Epicenter Of Online Crime
It is known facts that the Malaysian Government prefer Muslim, good of bad over non-Muslim. So you still want to come and retire in Malaysia?

Having read some of the negative comments on here i have come to one inescapable conclusion. Thailand would be further up the list if it wasnt for the expats who retire here.

+++1!!!

Their criteria for judging a country and or race is rather infantile.

• Like 1

Thailand does have lower cost of health care, but if you have any pre-existing conditions or are over 70 then you cannot get healthcare coverage, at any price. You can self fund, but you can easily spend B2 million if you need complicated care. In some EU countries and Australia, you will loose your healthcare coverage there if you stay out too long. You can also go back to your home country, but getting some one to house sit and watch out for things will not be easy.

The Government should offer Retirees heath care coverage that does not have pre-existing conditions or cap limits; similar to Medicare in the U.S.A. However to keep costs down, all other expatriates in the Kingdom working, studying, etc. should also be required to purchase healthcare coverage. This will increase the size of the insured pool and bring in younger people.

Right now, U.S. military retirees living in Thailand get health care coverage through contracts with Tri-Care. The Government could initiate talks to include Medicare beneficiaries under a similar program.

Then retirees can stop worrying about healthcare and enjoy all of the cultural experiences that are available.

Edited by Balance

Retirement in Thailand, no thanks. There are many much better places around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Morocco) and specially in Europe: France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Hungary. All these places offer much more then Thailand can ever offer, from food to culture and entertainment. And easy to get resident permit too. The ranking of the magazine mentioned here is just absolute rubbish.

Argentina- mass recession

Uruguay- struggling economy

France- one of Europe's most expensive living costs

Italy- as per France

Switzerland- as per above two

Portugal- economic frailty

Greece- set to default on EU loan which will lead to them leaving as a pariah

Turkey- good luck dodging ISIS

Hungary and Romania- yeah so great all of their citizens are moving to Germany, France , Holland and the Uk.

Maybe do a little research instead of just naming nations to Thai bash. Oh and I take it you don't live in Thailand otherwise why not leave?

• Like 2

With health being an issue and the costs of it, I'd be more inclined to do what many Europeans do and that is to overwinter in Thailand and return to a home country during the summer months.

Better health check-ups in the E.U. for example.

Last year, for example, I automatically got notified of a prostate cancer check. The test arrived in the post. Once completed, the test was returned, No cost involved. Prior to that I had very little information about prostate cancer. My tests came back negative.

Blood tests for free that can show up possible problems.

Better doctors to communicate with (in my area at least). Same with nurses. Heart nurse, chest nurse. Physiotherapy. All free.

Then there are so many other benefits other than medical that have been listed in previous replies.

I always remember that retiree in Pattaya who, tho' confined to a wheelchair, was found dead under his chair at the bottom of low rise. His arms were tied to the arm rests with electirical wire and to have jumped from the top of the building he would have had to gotten up on a 70cm wall to jump from. Coroner said it was suicide. So yes, Thailand is safe if you are not suicidal. Remember that Russian suicide where he chopped off his own head and hung it in a carry bag off a bridge in BKK?

To all those who can only say, "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?" You fail to take into account that many of us sold our homes and cashed out to come here, chasing what we thought was the dream of a "golden retirement". When the reality turned out differently, it was too late to just pack up and leave. So unless you're willing to finance the move, quit saying that.

Like everywhere, Thailand has it's pros and cons. The major pro is the cost of living. But these "best places" lists and the TAT paint an inaccurate picture by showing an aging couple joyously romping on a pristine beach, with tropical cocktails in their hands, and smiling natives all around. It just ain't like that if you don't have trunks full of money. And if you do have the money, you can make anywhere into paradise.

But you openly admit to being able to sell up and come out here so why is it so difficult to sell up here and head back to your nation of residence?

I'm 35, work full time in a fairly well paying job out here, IF I started to feel as negative and cynical as many commenters on here I'd be gone by May at the latest.....And I'm also happily married to a Thai woman who would never leave.

If the angst is eating people up so much then there's two options...live the rest of your life miserable as sin or cut loose and leave. Thailand is never going to change to appease the sexpats, expats or immigrants...And why should it? We're guests here nothing more.

Thailand has been included in the World’s Best Places To Retire In 2015 ranking list compiled by the International Living magazine due to its culture

As in how Thais behave daily?

"due to its culture" .... Is that thais pretending to be buddhists but more behaving like muslims ?

I was in Panama checking it out a couple of months ago. I couldn't wait to leave. Every home needs a barb wire parameter. It's ridiculously hot (and I live in LOS). The food sucks and I've never seen so many ugly fat women! This place continues to get on these list with marketing (probably paying to be on there). Note that articles praising Panama are usually written by people living there and trying to sell the overbuilt condos.

Mexico? Ye gods. I wouldn't want to visit there let alone live there.

Malaysia continues to swing towards sharia law with the Muslim hardliners demanding and getting more say as time goes on.

Medellin Colombia was a beautiful city and I could definitely live there...if I spoke Spanish. A lot easier to navigate Thailand than Colombia with just English.

Take these best place to retire results with a grain of salt. These articles come out every few weeks.

I went to Panama once years ago and like you could not wait to get out. As for Mexico maybe there are good parts but the crime factor there would really put me off, how many kidnappings do they have there????? Can't comment on Columbia but what info I have I do not feel it to be the safest of places but mind you Thailand must be going up on the crime list although living here for 8 years I have never felt threatened in any way

To all those who can only say, "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?" You fail to take into account that many of us sold our homes and cashed out to come here, chasing what we thought was the dream of a "golden retirement". When the reality turned out differently, it was too late to just pack up and leave. So unless you're willing to finance the move, quit saying that.

Like everywhere, Thailand has it's pros and cons. The major pro is the cost of living. But these "best places" lists and the TAT paint an inaccurate picture by showing an aging couple joyously romping on a pristine beach, with tropical cocktails in their hands, and smiling natives all around. It just ain't like that if you don't have trunks full of money. And if you do have the money, you can make anywhere into paradise.

But you openly admit to being able to sell up and come out here so why is it so difficult to sell up here and head back to your nation of residence?

I'm 35, work full time in a fairly well paying job out here, IF I started to feel as negative and cynical as many commenters on here I'd be gone by May at the latest.....And I'm also happily married to a Thai woman who would never leave.

If the angst is eating people up so much then there's two options...live the rest of your life miserable as sin or cut loose and leave. Thailand is never going to change to appease the sexpats, expats or immigrants...And why should it? We're guests here nothing more.

I have lived here for 8 years prior to 7 years of coming here on holiday and never had a problem. But if you ever get caught up with the police or the court system here you would be singing a different tune. Even the simplest of court case can take years to resolve and as for the police hope you have a good bank balance because they will sure as hell help you to spend it

Things are a different here compared to /your/ homeland.

Maybe, just maybe - some of the retirees have not done their homework prior choosing an overseas location to reside; Considering the pros & cons such as healthcare, currency exchange rate fluctuations etc.. These and other considerations should trump go-go bars its occupants.

But admittedly it ain't easy to make foretellings, especially about the future.

"The problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.”
Robin Williams.

I have lived here for 8 years prior to 7 years of coming here on holiday and never had a problem. But if you ever get caught up with the police or the court system here you would be singing a different tune. Even the simplest of court case can take years to resolve and as for the police hope you have a good bank balance because they will sure as hell help you to spend it

This kind of situation is not unique to a specific country.

What a list!!

Been to them all. except 1l...not always out of choice!

Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Costa Rica, Spain, Malta, Colombia, Portugal, and Thailand.

Ecuador is great but a bit on the periphery of life!

Panama: Yet to recover from the last American Invasion

Mexico: So drug ridden you can hardly breathe

Malaysia: Huge Inter-ethnic issues

Costa Rica...one place I have not been

Spain: Bust

Malta: Waiting for refugee ships

Colombia: Oh it got better than the Medellin days, did it?

Portugal: Over populated and bust, though Madeira nice.!

and then LOS!! Country for all ages, all tastes and all seasons?

Well it depends what you want and expect. I chose to live in LOS because it seemed the best Asian country and I like it warm. I probably missed a trick with Korea, because I like snow and sea. But when I was retiring it was not really an option. The fact that I acquired a family in LOS was not part of the original prospectus! Advice to prospective pensioners:"Keep your mind clear, your bank account in Europe and your pants on"

I should have thought if you were an OAP couple there were better places,and better health care than any of the above, but colder.

If on the other hand you were a single gentleman OAP...........speculate!

OAPs need to construct a support system. In the absence of the language and a Thai family, LOS is tough. And I don't think it is that cheap.

I think better places are Chile, New Zealand and Canada,Ireland, Croatia/Slovenia...in spite of the recent wars, even!

• Like 1

I was surprised to see that Spain & Portugal were on the list, and ahead of Thailand even. I went to both of those countries in 2011, and found them both to be very expensive. $4.50 US for a bottle for water was over the top, and this was in town, not at an airport. Great history to enjoy there, great to visit, but you will spend a lot of money to reside there.

Edited by stoli

Have you ever tried to sell a house in Thailand?

So, if you were unhappy in Thailand, you would quit your high paying job, dump your happily married wife, and just head out? How cavalier.

Edited by curtklay

Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015; Thailand ranks world no.2 in road fatalities;

So ............ the chances are that if you stay off the roads you will have an extended happy healthy retirement, but if you venture on to the roads ...........?

Thailand ranked as one of world’s best places to retire in 2015; Thailand ranks world no.2 in road fatalities;

So ............ the chances are that if you stay off the roads you will have an extended happy healthy retirement, but if you venture on to the roads ...........?

I can answer that.

Then you don't have to worry anymore about your money running out before your life ...