ebay scam or desperate seller

ubonr1971

Over a month ago I purchased an item on ebay and it took over 4 weeks for it to arrive in thailand. I was worried it would not arrive and the seller assured me it would come. I ended up writing a poor review bc I was expecting faster delivery.

The seller emailed me asking if there is anything I can do to amend the poor review. I told him if he sends me another one for free I will write a good review. To my surprise he obliged and obviously will wait and see if it arrives in the post- he said he had a tracking number.

My question is... if I sign for accepting the item am I then liable. i.e. can he send me a bill after delivery. Unlike the first item I paid for using the normal method on ebay this time there was no actual transaction- thus no record. Is there anyway that he can screw me?

If the free item does actually arrive how exactly am i going to write a review on him based on the fact that there its not an 'official' purchase? Or will be be expecting me to amend the old review? Is it possible to amend the old review.

many thanks

Stefan is correct.

If the seller was selling Porsches can you please PM me his ID so I can BOGOF. I have a red one now, but really want a black one and a white one to make up the set. Some days I just don't feel like driving the red one. Maybe I'll buy a yellow one as well. Oh wait, I'll buy a white one and a black one and then get a yellow one and maybe a blue one for free.

Wait up, that will mean I'll have five and I only have room to park four. Do you think I should get a silver one as well, and maybe a green one for free? Then I won't feel so bad if I have to sell the wife's Lear to make room in the hangar for the cars beside my Lear. But then we'll only have one Lear. Does the dude on ebay sell Lears as well? facepalm.gif

OP - what did you buy? Because I would feel real guilty if I squeezed somebody like that - basically it's extortion. I can only hope you bought a pair of AAA batteries or something equally as inexpensive. It probably took 3 days to get to Swampy and another 27 days to get from Swampy to your abode.

Edited by Gsxrnz

i order from e bay quite often i try to note where the product is being shipped from ie from hongkong or from Asian area it stands a better chance to arrive within the standard post time line from the states /uk etc maybe up to the estimated time.

From China it seems anything goes with one exception Chinese new year = can cause extra delays sometimes upward of two weeks +

this info is based on standard international shipping if you do get a choice opt for registered about 2 dollars more for smaller items but that way you get a tracking number

From my Ebay experience shipments from the U.S., mainland China, and Hong Kong to Bangkok via regular post takes 3 to 4 weeks on the average. My latest order (last month) off AliExpress for a tablet battery from AliExpress took 22 days in the postal system...basically same as ordering off Ebay because its the postal system that in charge of getting the item delivered.

Sometimes items shows up in two weeks (but not very often) and sometimes up to 6 weeks...but as mentioned my average has been around 3 to 4 weeks. I definitely wouldn't have given the seller a negative rating for something taking 4 weeks to arrive unless you had paid for some type of priority shipping that guaranteed a much faster shipping time and you could confirm the delayed shipping was the seller's fault in getting it shipped promptly. And then if I had saw it had been shipped, I was tracking it, and it still didn't make it in the guaranteed time I wouldn't have blamed the seller for the delivery company's/postal system's slow delivery which also might have got delayed in customs.

Don't be so quick to blame the seller for things out of his control especially when it comes to international shipments.

So, to summarise, the OP was so unhappy receiving an item after 4 weeks that he wrote a negative review, but that if the vendor sends another item exactly the same for free and that also arrives after 4 weeks, which is now +8 weeks the OP will be completely happy. And of course he is also happy breaking the terms and conditions of ebay trading as there is no mention of item number 1 being faulty for replacement.

• Like 1

Post and mail is beyond sellers control.

There is a post here with 1 word in it, word is 'douchebag', I join that poster.

Negative feedback is absolute worst thing you can do to small seller on Ebay. His feedback average drops, his listings drop substancially in search results. In can ruin a small seller.

Negative feedback should be reserved to extreme cases, such as item not received.

Tracking number gives you full view where your package is.

4 weeks from USA, sent by USPS 1st Class, or Express is normal, I buy Nike hi tops and REAL Supreme T's from US sometimes, so I know the post.

You have a time wibdow to change your feedbabk, instead you demand free item from seller. Despicable!

Despicable! spelt d**k head

Edited by gerry123
  • Like 1

If too much time has passed, and you can't revise the feedback, you can email Ebay customer service, provide them with item number, and ask them to delete it. If you want to be a man, that is what you should do. Think about undoing the damage you did. Seller is a good ebayer, he did not deserve the negative feedback.

The fact that sellers offers you free stuff, should tell you how important this is for sellet.

This thread has a word 'scam'in title. OP, are you aware, that there are dishonest Ebay buyers, who abuse the feedback system, in order to receive stuff for free. They get away with it, because feedback is extremely important to sellers, even high volume sellers who sell 40 items every day. But to small seller it is even more important.

Seller can also dispute the negative feedback, but some sellers are not aware, especially sellers new at Ebay.

Do the right thing, revise your feedback, and decline 'free' stuff, it didn't come free to seller!

Post and mail is beyond sellers control.

There is a post here with 1 word in it, word is 'douchebag', I join that poster.

Negative feedback is absolute worst thing you can do to small seller on Ebay. His feedback average drops, his listings drop substancially in search results. In can ruin a small seller.

Negative feedback should be reserved to extreme cases, such as item not received.

Tracking number gives you full view where your package is.

4 weeks from USA, sent by USPS 1st Class, or Express is normal, I buy Nike hi tops and REAL Supreme T's from US sometimes, so I know the post.

You have a time wibdow to change your feedbabk, instead you demand free item from seller. Despicable!

"Negative feedback is absolute worst thing you can do to small seller on Ebay. His feedback average drops, his listings drop substancially in search results. In can ruin a small seller."

I've never had anything I bought or sold via eBay not reach me or whoever I sent it to in Asia, Europe or North America and on the rare occasion when something seems to take longer, especially during holiday periods or when there are major storms, I might contact the seller, but would not leave a bad notice unless the problem couldn't be resolved amicably ... and I've never left negative feedback yet.

When I sent something to the US by EMS, I can track it's progress the whole way. Often the item reaches a major port like LA in a few days and then, if the addressee is inland it can take a week or two to reach its destination AFTER it reaches the US.

I agree with others than giving bad feedback or blackmailing the seller to get good feedback because of a problem beyond his control is really bad form. You'd immediately go on my blocked bidder list if you tried that on with me.

Edited by Suradit69

So, you received the item as described and gave negative feedback. Then you demand a freebie and all you're worried about is whether you will be charged for the second item.

I don't sell too much on eBay but have been a member for six years and retain 100% seller and buyer feedback and If you pulled that one on me I'd report you and also forward your email to the investigations team requesting that your negative feedback is deleted on the basis that it's vexatious and patently unfair.

Personally, I won't send internationally as the risk is too big for me and I'm not a business.

An honourable eBayer would amend the review.

What is your user name so I can tell my GF to block you

Pathetic that you are asking for free stuff in order to change a feedback

I hope the buyer reports you, that is a policy violation I think

As mentioned above. shipping time is suppose to b e based on how fast the seller got the package to the post office

Holding a seller responsible for weather, slow customs or anything else is pathetic

you are an awful buyer and you are what is wrong with E-Bay

I leave negative reviews quite easily. If the product is rubbish or not as described then the seller deserves negative feedback and lower sales.

I love it when they send a message saying to change it or they will be killed. I never do and never hear back.

I've bought around 300 items off Ebay, take effort to closely review the the seller's ad to determine to the best of my ability if the item is worth the money, also take in consideration the seller feedback rating, my gut feel about the ad, and then I place an order. Very rarely have I rec'd an item that didn't match up to the ad. I say very rarely because I just can't think of one right now that didn't match up to the ad...so maybe all items have matched up to the ad. And when ordering certain things and regardless of the ad, I know what the quality of the item will most likely be like regardless of glowing advertising words the seller may have used just like the big manufacturers use for their products.

Do a good review of the item before you order and your need/desire to leave negative feedback should drop significantly.