Weeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million Thais

webfact

Weeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million Thais

1-5-2015-10-06-36-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Weeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million ThaisWeeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million Thais

The week-long New Year holiday has seen over 20 million Thai people traveling and spending almost 30 billion baht, the Association of Domestic Travel said.
Association chairman Mr Yutthachai Sunthonrattanawet said this year’s tourism during the New Year long holiday was better than the previous year, mainly due to lower energy prices which led to increasing spending for consumption.

He estimated that there had been 20 million Thai tourists traveling and spending around 25 – 30 billion baht during the long holiday.

The northern region remained the most popular tourist destination, he said.

For the tourism outlook in the first quarter this year (2015), he said domestic travel is expected to increase by 3% and to 10% in the second quarter.

He attributed the growth to several campaign activities to promote travel on Chinese New Year, Valentines’ and Songkran days.

He also forecasted that domestic travel in 2015 would grow by 10% with the number of Thai tourists traveling in the country rising to 155 million people with 800 million baht spendings.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/weeklong-new-year-holiday-spurs-30-million-baht-spendings-20-million-thais

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-05

First I read "Weeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million Thais"

And I thought..........wow these Thais are big spenders.........spending 1.5 Baht each.

Then I realized, we are speaking about billions.......

Moral of the story........read the text first..............

• Like 1

Aside from the funny fact, that the ONE and HALF Baht each person spent in the headline, that was later corrected in the tex when millions became billions, it is still only 1500 THB per person.

One spends 6000 THB for fuel alone if a family of four, let's say, travels from Bangkok to the Doi Inthanon and retour. So I wonder if they lived by Papaya and sticky rice for the rest of the trip and slept in the pickup or a tent.

50 US Dollars or 37,5 Euros for extra spending because it's 5 days of holidays does not sound very much to me. They must be indeed very poor people, because that's 10 Dollars extra per day on top of the average spending, per person.

I wonder if something got missing from the text because, as mentioned before, it just covers the extra fuel costs for a trip.

• Like 1

First I read "Weeklong New Year holiday spurs 30 million baht spendings by 20 million Thais"

And I thought..........wow these Thais are big spenders.........spending 1.5 Baht each.

I think moral of the story is, Thai PBS should hire a proof reader

• Like 1

1500 baht a head? They'd probably have spent more if they'd stayed at home!

So approximately one third of the population travelled during the holidays? I think they must be counting a trip to the local market or to drink Blend 285 with the neighbours!

• Like 2

I think moral of the story is, Thai PBS should hire a proof reader

No need...It would appear that they have spoof readers....

1. Million / Billion are not the same dear OP ....

2. 1,500 B / head is also a very cheap amount ....

Something is wrong anyway, check the numbers.

Edited by Loles

as one poster already mentioned, with the 5 days-holidays not even over yet, it was ay to early to claim how much these 20 millions of travellers spent. So the figure is just an assumption and has been dreamed up by somebody velly velly important to make a headline in the news.

If they could only could proofread their dreamed up numbers. 1500 THB per person in five days ( while we have not yet decided over the fact that the mentioned "week-long" is a week is SEVEN days !!!) is what they spend at home, at least most of them. So does this mean the thai people are the cheapest of the cheapest tourists of their own country ?

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

as one poster already mentioned, with the 5 days-holidays not even over yet, it was ay to early to claim how much these 20 millions of travellers spent. So the figure is just an assumption and has been dreamed up by somebody velly velly important to make a headline in the news.

If they could only could proofread their dreamed up numbers. 1500 THB per person in five days ( while we have not yet decided over the fact that the mentioned "week-long" is a week is SEVEN days !!!) is what they spend at home, at least most of them. So does this mean the thai people are the cheapest of the cheapest tourists of their own country ?

Like so many others I'm sure the fuel bill for my round trip holiday drive was Bt 100 short of being double what Thais were supposed to have spent over 5 days.

Something wrong somewhere so just where did the spokesman pluck his figures from ?

Like so many others I'm sure the fuel bill for my round trip holiday drive was Bt 100 short of being double what Thais were supposed to have spent over 5 days.

Something wrong somewhere so just where did the spokesman pluck his figures from ?

But did you have the whole family of 20 crammed in the pickup?

So each one of those 20 million Thais has spent a mind-boggling total of 1.5 Baht over the course of this prolonged New Year holiday?

Talk about quality tourists...

Oops, I just noticed the copy actually reads 25 - 30 BILLION Baht, which makes more sense. It's now 1,500 Baht spent by each of those 20 million Thais over the course of a 7-day holiday, or roughly 214 Baht per day.

My original observation stands: Talk about quality tourists...

But I also would like to add: Thai PBS - the Broadcaster you can not trust.

Edited by Misterwhisper

One can't help but think that either Mr Yutthachai Sunthonrattanawet is a moron, or the author of the article doesn't get the difference between millions and billions (making him a moron as well).

20 million Thais spend 1500 baht each over the course of a week is enough to hold a press conference? As madmitch said, 'They'd probably have spent more if they'd stayed at home!'

The figure at the end of the article needs to be rechecked as well: 155 million Thais are going to spend 5 baht each traveling the country this year. Right.

This is likely a clerical error...30 billion actually spent...with officials only recording 30 million and pocketing the difference...

Im calling total BS on this headline..... they are just making the whole thing up.

Seriously they dont have a clue about these kind of stats, they cant track peoples movements and they cant collate info like this especially within such a short timeframe...its simply made up BS.

• Like 1