U.S. Social Security Notify Address Rules

I was told that I need to notify the Social Security Office of my address if I live and work outside the US and are under the full retirement age, at once, or I may lose my monthly benefits when I apply for social security.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I have lived here for over 6 years and never notified the SS office, will this create a problem?

Is there a form to fill out?

How often do I need to notify the SS office?

Where do I send this info to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

PS-I plan to file for benefits later this year

i think a good start would be to put the question to the person who informed you of this rule/new rule

better still maybe get in touch with the relevant office and get the correct info straight from the eagles mouth

Edited by gerry123

I think that only applies if you are already collecting benefits. Many people start collecting them prior to 'full retirement age'.

From Thailand you would apply and make any notifications / changes to the SS Office in Manila. They are very efficient.

------------------------

First of all, I agree you should go through Manila.

They are far more efficient and responsive than any stateside Social Security office is.

If you intend to live in Thailand as a retiree you will probably need to change your mailing address to your Thai mailing address.

Again, do this through Manila.

Each year the Social Security will mail you a questionnaire form to your Thai address.

You will need to fill out this form and return it to them.....they basically want to know if you have worked at any income earning job during the past year.

You NEED to fill out that form and return it to the Social Security because if they do not receive a response from you they may stop your benefits because you haven't responded to their questionnaire.

Don't ignore them, they are serious about you responding.

Secondly the Social Security will send you each January your income tax statement of how much you earned in the past year from your Social Security benefits. You will need this info for your income tax. No, you can NOT get away from filing an income tax form every year just because you are retired and living in Thailand, no matter what somebody tells you.

Note that I am not saying you must pay income tax every year, but you must file even if you owe no tax for that year.

If you maintain a U.S. residence and mailing address, and someone forwards you your U.S.mail, you can avoid filing a Thai address.

But either way, DON"T just ignore that Social Security income question form I mentioned, because they are SERIOUS about that form.

And finally, if you WANT your Social Security direct deposited to Bangkok Bank in Thailand it can be done.

I have had mine direct deposited to my Bangkok bank account for about 6 months now.

Again, contact Manila, to start this process. It will require you to fill out certain forms to initiate a direct deposit to Thailand.

You can ONLY do a direct deposit to your Bangkok Bank account, no other Thai bank will be acceptable to the Social Security as they have a special arrangement with Bangkok Bank.

It's not the banks rules, it is the Social Security's rule.

Again, I highly recommend you ask any questions about Social Security to their Manila office.

Ignore the U.S. embassy here in Bangkok, in Social Security matters they really have no clue.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

i think a good start would be to put the question to the person who informed you of this rule/new rule

better still maybe get in touch with the relevant office and get the correct info straight from the eagles mouth

------------------------

I regret to say that in my personal experience, many of the staff in the U.S. Social Security offices do not know the old rules, much less any new rules.

In fact, my talking to the local U.S. Social Security messed up my records for over a year.

Manila was the place that corrected the errors the local U.S. office made.

Bottom line: In my personal experience do NOT trust anything a local U.S. Social Security office says about getting Social Security while living outside the U.S. benefits.

They just don't know about overseas benefits.

All good information from IMA_FARANG with one small exception.

From my experience, you may open your BKK Bank account with the bank with no requirement to go through Manila.

Just be sure the branch you are dealing with is familiar with a special Social Security account. Have them call their head office if there are any doubts.

The BKK Bank people will take care of the paperwork with the Embassy in BKK.

Have your branch call this number to get the scoop from bank headquarters...022-301-323.

I think that only applies if you are already collecting benefits. Many people start collecting them prior to 'full retirement age'.

From Thailand you would apply and make any notifications / changes to the SS Office in Manila. They are very efficient.

------------------------

First of all, I agree you should go through Manila.

They are far more efficient and responsive than any stateside Social Security office is.

If you intend to live in Thailand as a retiree you will probably need to change your mailing address to your Thai mailing address.

Again, do this through Manila.

Each year the Social Security will mail you a questionnaire form to your Thai address.

You will need to fill out this form and return it to them.....they basically want to know if you have worked at any income earning job during the past year.

You NEED to fill out that form and return it to the Social Security because if they do not receive a response from you they may stop your benefits because you haven't responded to their questionnaire.

Don't ignore them, they are serious about you responding.

Secondly the Social Security will send you each January your income tax statement of how much you earned in the past year from your Social Security benefits. You will need this info for your income tax. No, you can NOT get away from filing an income tax form every year just because you are retired and living in Thailand, no matter what somebody tells you.

Note that I am not saying you must pay income tax every year, but you must file even if you owe no tax for that year.

If you maintain a U.S. residence and mailing address, and someone forwards you your U.S.mail, you can avoid filing a Thai address.

But either way, DON"T just ignore that Social Security income question form I mentioned, because they are SERIOUS about that form.

And finally, if you WANT your Social Security direct deposited to Bangkok Bank in Thailand it can be done.

I have had mine direct deposited to my Bangkok bank account for about 6 months now.

Again, contact Manila, to start this process. It will require you to fill out certain forms to initiate a direct deposit to Thailand.

You can ONLY do a direct deposit to your Bangkok Bank account, no other Thai bank will be acceptable to the Social Security as they have a special arrangement with Bangkok Bank.

It's not the banks rules, it is the Social Security's rule.

Again, I highly recommend you ask any questions about Social Security to their Manila office.

Ignore the U.S. embassy here in Bangkok, in Social Security matters they really have no clue.

Do you call them or go visit?

Thank you so much for your replies, especially Ima_Farang

I did send an email to the Manila office and still waiting for a reply (about 8 days now). I understand they might be backlogged due to the holidays.

I intend to apply for my benefits before the full retirement age.

I just want to know what form I need to use to notify them of my Thai address and how to do it.

I also see that there is a Foreign Work test that will need to be done in order to see if I can receive my monthly benefits as well.

The test ONLY cares about how many hours you work and NOT how much you earn.

It says that if you work more than 45 hours a month, you will NOT receive your monthly benefits for that month.

Does anybody have any info on that?

Do you take the test each month?

If so, how do you take the test each month, etc.

Thanks again!

By the way, I have lived here for over 6 years and have filed my taxes each year even though I make less than $20,000 a year.

I also see that there is a Foreign Work test that will need to be done in order to see if I can receive my monthly benefits as well.

It says that if you work more than 45 hours a month, you will NOT receive your monthly benefits for that month.

Where are you getting this information from?

I also see is hardly a source

From the Social Security website and the American Citizens Abroad website.

From the Social Security website and the American Citizens Abroad website.

I would suggest that you use the official social security web site, specifically the one designed for persons who live overseas, like they tell you to on the American Citizens Abroad web site

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Just remember that you can only access the ssa.gov web site during the US operating hours:

post-10942-0-72216900-1421142571_thumb.p

"I also see is hardly a source"

The info about the hours per month worked is correct.

You don't take the test each month. You are told to notify them if your situation changes.

The delay in getting a response surprises me. Maybe once you file and have someone assigned to you it will be better. When I filed several years ago I had all my questions replied to quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

So if you have a direct deposit in Bangkok Bank in NYC you must sign a form in Thailand each month? Presume its reciept that its both you and you are not dead. Is that correct? Wow, that's tedious. I think US govt really trying to discourage living abroad.

Thanks

Should have married a Pinay

So if you have a direct deposit in Bangkok Bank in NYC you must sign a form in Thailand each month? Presume its reciept that its both you and you are not dead. Is that correct? Wow, that's tedious. I think US govt really trying to discourage living abroad.

Thanks

Easy way around it is to have your SS direct deposited into a US bank and then EFTS it to Bangkok Bank via the NY branch to your Thai Bangkok Bank account. That way you won't have to sign and can control how much of your monthly check is transferred to Thailand

Has nothing to do with the US government discouraging anyone from living abroad. Since only one bank in Thailand is allowed to accept Direct Deposits from US Social Security, extra controls were established to prevent fraud

As a taxpayer and SS recipient I am glad that these controls are in place, and BTW, they are also in place in the Philippines

Easy way around it is to have your SS direct deposited into a US bank and then EFTS it to Bangkok Bank via the NY branch to your Thai Bangkok Bank account. That way you won't have to sign and can control how much of your monthly check is transferred to Thailand

Not sure why more people do not do this? Or is it the direct BKB direct deposit route the more uncommon one?

I would pay a little more for not having to sign every month, but to each their own.

Not sure why more people do not do this? Or is it the direct BKB direct deposit route the more uncommon one?

I would pay a little more for not having to sign every month, but to each their own.

Agreed and I don't really think that it would be any more since most US banks will do a EFTS for free and BB has a standard fee for inbound transfers:

USD 100.01 - 2,000.00

$5.00

USD 2,000.01 - 50,000.00

$10.00

Thanks

You do not have to sign anything at any specific time (other than the yearly I'm alive) AFAIK But to withdraw funds from your account will require OTC and signature in bank presence to move/receive (to protect bank - there agreement with USG would require payback of any cash received after account holders death).

Just remember, that if you go the Bangkok Bank direct deposit route, you will be required to go to your branch and sign for your monthly Social Security check before the funds will be released to you

That statement is kinda true. Cannot say that I know why, or understand it, but with a US SS direct deposit to BKK Bank you cannot have an ATM with the account. (Same is true of any US gov direct deposit.) Each month you must go to BKK Bank, with appropriate ID (a drivers license works), and withdraw from the direct deposit account. However, you can withdraw all of the direct deposit at one time then re-deposit it in a regular BBK Bank savings account and withdraw from that account with its associated ATM card.

...That statement is kinda true. Cannot say that I know why, or understand it, but with a US SS direct deposit to BKK Bank you cannot have an ATM with the account. (Same is true of any US gov direct deposit.) .....

Can you link to an article or pamphlet that addresses this? That a US gov direct deposit cannot occur on an account with ATM access? Or cannot occur with a retirement benefit payout to a bank account with ATM access? Or cannot occur with [xxxx] benefit payout to a foreign bank account with ATM access?

I think it was a specific deal with Bangkok Bank and maybe other foreign banks with a similar direct deposit capability to minimize social security payouts after death fraud. I could imagine how many Thai spouses would be less than expedient to report a death immediately.

I also find this prohibition for US banks hard to swallow. My US bank sure didn't cancel my ATM card when I started receiving SS or my Government pension for that matter. In fact to encourage me to use them for Direct Deposit they reimburse me for unlimited ATM usage, even here in Thailand.

I am sure this prohibition only applies to recipients with overseas addresses

Any and all regulations that the Social Security Administration have put into place relative to receiving monthly payments overseas - Thailand in this example ... is primarily aimed at the American who received Social Security benefits making sure he/she has not died and someone else keeps getting the money, On the occasion of death in America an automatic report by a coroner or funeral director to the Social Security Administration takes place soon after death. This causes benefits to cease. I witnessed this happen with my Aunt who I took care of and was the administrator of her estate.

In a developing country - American Social Security Administration believes a death may not be recorded for months or longer and collecting over payments taken by a wife or g/f would be very difficult to collect.

There are ways to avoid the whole hassle without risk- as have been described in a couple of post already.

Whether one person considers it an unnecessary hassle and another does not -- matters little to me -- I see it as an unnecessary hassle - thus I avoid it.

...That statement is kinda true. Cannot say that I know why, or understand it, but with a US SS direct deposit to BKK Bank you cannot have an ATM with the account. (Same is true of any US gov direct deposit.) .....

Can you link to an article or pamphlet that addresses this? That a US gov direct deposit cannot occur on an account with ATM access? Or cannot occur with a retirement benefit payout to a bank account with ATM access? Or cannot occur with [xxxx] benefit payout to a foreign bank account with ATM access?

I think it was a specific deal with Bangkok Bank and maybe other foreign banks with a similar direct deposit capability to minimize social security payouts after death fraud. I could imagine how many Thai spouses would be less than expedient to report a death immediately.

It is simply not true ... I can't imagine how a rumor goes around saying a S.S. Direct Deposit cannot go to an account with ATM access... total baloney. Every person I know who is has S.S. benefits has ATM access on their S.S. Direct Deposit Account. In fact ... if a person does not have a bank account and direct deposit cannot be made ... The S.S. Administration makes it mandatory for the person to accept the S.S. Admin's Debit/ATM card for direct deposit. I hear there is an exception on this for people who live overseas ... makes no sense to me but that I what I have seen posted here on TVF.

It is simply not true ... I can't imagine how a rumor goes around saying a S.S. Direct Deposit cannot go to an account with ATM access... total baloney. Every person I know who is has S.S. benefits has ATM access on their S.S. Direct Deposit Account. In fact ... if a person does not have a bank account and direct deposit cannot be made ... The S.S. Administration makes it mandatory for the person to accept the S.S. Admin's Debit/ATM card for direct deposit. I hear there is an exception on this for people who live overseas ... makes no sense to me but that I what I have seen posted here on TVF.

I want to clarify. The S.S. Admin's Debit/ATM card (DirectExpress) is like a prepaid debit card specifically for SS benefits. So you either have to have your own bank account with a USA bank that can accept direct deposit OR you must use S.S. Admin's debit card. They no longer issue paper checks.

Surprised they didn't do this a while back. The military was much more progressive; I think they did away with paper checks (for basic pay and entitlements) back in the 1980s, correct?

Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand which is approved by the SSA for direct deposit. You must open an account at Bkk Bank if you wish to draw your entitlements locally.

Bangkok Bank will NOT issue you an ATM card with this type of account.

You are required to present yourself at any BKK Bank branch or satellite facility in person, with your savings account passbook and passport, to withdraw your funds.

Another poster says a driver's license is acceptable. I have found that not to be the situation in my case. Passport only.

Prior to 2009 you could only withdraw your funds from the branch in which you originally opened your account.

I opened my account in the Branch located on Second Road in Pattaya and found myself having to make a round trip of over 1400 kilometers to make withdrawals, until the bank decided withdrawals could be made anywhere within their system.

Currently I drive to the Lotus satellite branch of BKK Bank in Loei to draw my monthly stipend, combining it with our monthly shopping expedition.

The satellite branches operate from 1100 to 1900 daily so it is a good fit for us.

Hope this helps.

I amend my own statement. While Bangkok Bank inside Thailand may prohibit it - I do not know of any bank in the U.S. that disallows having direct Social Security Benefit deposited to an account that has ATM access. This seems to be a rule by Bangkok Bank that assist the the Social Security Administrations enforcement of the fear that someone might be getting access to the monthly benefits other than the S.S. account holder. Seems a bit of overkill to me.

It would seem one could have Direct Deposits at U.S. Bank that facilitates the use of ACH transfers to other banks in America authorized to receive Automated Clearing House transfers... then on to Thailand... such as Bangkok Bank NY. Which I believe is quite common.

Or just simply withdrawing funds from an American bank while one is inside Thailand using a foreign ATM card at a Thailand bank - which I believe is the most common method.

• 1 year later...