Question for US Social Security Recipients

connda

This is the first year that i've collected Social Security payments. I processed my applications through Manila and, so far, all documentation from the SSA has come to my Chiang Mai mailing address. But just wondering: will my Social Security tax documents (Form SSA-1099) be mailed to my local address here in Thailand too? Looking for other people's experience. FYI, I live here full-time and have not been out of Thailand since 2009. Thanks much!

Mod, I've posted in the CM Forum because this is where I live along with many other expats from the US. But I'll leave it up to you where to ultimately place it. Thanks again.

Edited by connda

Yes, your SSA-1099 will come to the same address as all other mailings from the SSA, i.e. your CM address.

Thanks Nancy, Approximately when have you (or I believe your hubby) been receiving the SSA-1099 in the mail each year?

Yes, your SSA-1099 will come to the same address as all other mailings from the SSA, i.e. your CM address.

Thanks Nancy, Approximately when have you (or I believe your hubby) been receiving the SSA-1099 in the mail each year?

Can't say exactly, but it comes about the same time as other income tax info from pension and investments... I think in late January or early February. I always have it before I get around to doing my 1040.

You also get a notice once a year that you need to mail back to them. I think mine usually comes in June. They ask you if anything has changed in terms of dependents, work status, etc. ... but I think they're really checking to see if you're still alive. Supposedly if you don't return that form in a few months, your payments will be suspended until you contact them. Suggest you return it by registered mail.

And you can also ask them to send payment verification if you want backup documentation for income affidavit if you use that for your annual retirement extension. It's not required but I always like to have "proof" for what I claim as income.

Edited by Suradit69

I haven't been able to find where you can obtain the SSA 1099 on-line. We moved one year and didn't get Hubby's. (Despite sending Manila an email notice of the new address AND getting a confirmation from them.) Since we file on-line, I just "faked it" since I knew what number would have been listed on the 1099 and eventually got one from SSA.

There's no reason why SSA couldn't get it set up for you to do this on-line. That's the way Hubby's private pension provider has things set up. No problem in printing out the 1099 for his private pension on line. I was on that website recently and see I could even change the direct deposit account routing. Wow, that could be a nasty parting "gift" from an exiting spouse in the case of a divorce.

The Social Security Admin says that the 1099 is available on line at www.socialsecurity.gov/1099 but I have yet to find it.

I would think that this would be a no brainer for them and the more people they could convince to opt out of a paper version, the more money to be saved in printing and mailing costs.

The closet answer to this question appears to be that your can apply online for a replacement 1099 after Feb 1, 2015 but they don't make it clear if you will receive it online or if another SSA 1099 will be mailed to you

post-10942-0-85086200-1420513635_thumb.p

source: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3706/How-can-I-get-a-form-SSA-1099-1042S-Social-Security-Benefit-Statement

My 1099 has always showed up but it's not hard to figure. The amount you received every month times 12. E-filing with Turbo Tax from here is a breeze now. In years past I had to print everything, sign and mail it. Last year I did everything online. Something like $40 for the Federal return.

By the way, since this is American's on this thread. Charles Schwab is the bank/broker to do business with all ATM fee refunded. In the past I've maintained an American address to continue to do business through them. I've recently changed that status to be an International customer. The only difference is that I can't by mutual funds, but can trade stocks, bonds or ETFs. My social security check goes into Schwab and I live in Thailand by pulling cash out of the ATMs here. I can't imagine an easier way to run my finances. Also all the transactions at the broker throughout the year are automatically brought over to the Turbo Tax filing.

Now if I could just get the stock market to settle down. bah.gif

My 1099 has always showed up but it's not hard to figure. The amount you received every month times 12. E-filing with Turbo Tax from here is a breeze now. In years past I had to print everything, sign and mail it. Last year I did everything online. Something like $40 for the Federal return.

By the way, since this is American's on this thread. Charles Schwab is the bank/broker to do business with all ATM fee refunded. In the past I've maintained an American address to continue to do business through them. I've recently changed that status to be an International customer. The only difference is that I can't by mutual funds, but can trade stocks, bonds or ETFs. My social security check goes into Schwab and I live in Thailand by pulling cash out of the ATMs here. I can't imagine an easier way to run my finances. Also all the transactions at the broker throughout the year are automatically brought over to the Turbo Tax filing.

Now if I could just get the stock market to settle down. bah.gif

Your calculations assume that no income taxes nor Medicare payments are withheld from those monthly Social Security payments. Edited by SpokaneAl

• 1 year later...

You can apply online if you have signed up with an account on the SSA website. To do this you need to have a US address. If you don't have a US address I don't think they allow you to open an online account. When you first signup they use Experian to verify that the US credit agencies show you and your SS num at the US address you register with. Pretty easy.

If you do it this way, then there's no annual letter to check if you're dead or alive.