Pulled over by imigration

Ok any help apreciated!

I work on a rig in Russia and spend my time off with my girlfriend in Phuket. This equates to me working around 31 days in Russia and then spending 24 days in Phuket.

I fly in on a 30 day visa exempt and now have 6 in my passport.

The last time I flew into Phuket I was pulled over by imigration as I was flagged as bad on their computer systems.

The imigration guy accused me of working in Thailand.

After showing him pics of the rig where i work in Russia, and photos of my Thai girlfriend he was finally satisfied and gave my my normal 30 day stamp.

However he said next time I should get a proper visa before coming back to Thailand as I would not be let in.

So next time do I:

a) Risk it and try and come in as normal for a 30 day visa exempt stamp armed with a copy of my Russian employment contract,copy of return air ticket and a min of 20,000 baht in my wallet? If I am denied entry can I simply pay and hop on a flight elsewhere, or would I be returned to Seoul, my last flight being Seoul to Phuket?

B) Fly to Bali and try and get a 90 day double entry visa before coming back to Phuket which would cover me for my next two periods of time off the rig?

c) Give up the ghost and go spend my money somewhere else!

Further info I rent a villa in my name in Phuket where my gf also stays, am 47 years old and English.

On my arrival card I always put down the villa address and tick staying with friends.

I my eyes I am a tourist, as I do not work here in Thailand and have a Russian work permit and one year visa in my passport.

I am aware of the no hassle thai elite card but do not really fancy shelling out 500,000 unless I have to!

• Like 2

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

Now here we have a legitimate, high spending tourist. He even spends money in Thailand when he is not even here!!... paying for an apartment and supporting his lady.

What's wrong with Immigration, hassling these people? Especially when there is a crisis in the tourism sector.

Dumber than dirt.

By definition he is not a tourist.

• Like 2

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

Now here we have a legitimate, high spending tourist. He even spends money in Thailand when he is not even here!!... paying for an apartment and supporting his lady.

What's wrong with Immigration, hassling these people? Especially when there is a crisis in the tourism sector.

Dumber than dirt.

So how would you define a tourist,a person who comes here once a year on a visa excempt or a tourist visa ? As long there is no limit on visa excempts and no restrictions of the amount of days you can stay here who defines who`s a tourist or not........except from Phuket immigration and other Southern immigration offices who suddenly has decided to interpret the law as it suits them,unfortunately.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dumber than dirt.

Unfortunately, all the years of illegitimate tourists, and now illegitimate "students," have made life difficult for some foreigners. One can't fault the Thais for trying to enforce their own visa laws and regulations.

True,but in this case Phuket immigration enforces it own laws and regulations as it suits them.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act for not having financial proof and/or under suspicion of working here.

Isn't that what the op reports they tried to pin on him...working in Thailand? Having that packet of work documents are probably the best way to go other than my Bali suggestion.

Easiest thing is to go to immigration in Bkk if you can,Phuket immigration seems to give guys on rotation a hard time nowadays.

I am in same situation....

No written rules I can find,

I enterd thru BKK this time.

NO questions asked

Hopefully after the first of the year the 30 day stamp count will restart and can use Phuket again although I much prefer entering thru BKK as immigration there not as shady as Phuket from what I have found..

I just got pulled up. Flagged in the computer, too many stamps (12 in the past year). Officer said maximum is now 6. I asked if this was a new rule because this wasn't a problem in the past? He replied new rule since August.

I got my stamp, though he made a note that he made me initial that this is my last exempt stamp. I need to get a proper tourist visa next time.

This is at CNX.

I just got pulled up. Flagged in the computer, too many stamps (12 in the past year). Officer said maximum is now 6. I asked if this was a new rule because this wasn't a problem in the past? He replied new rule since August.

I got my stamp, though he made a note that he made me initial that this is my last exempt stamp. I need to get a proper tourist visa next time.

This is at CNX.

There no rule that limits visa exempt entries to 6. That has been told to others. It is perhaps just a policy to subject greater scrutiny on those with more than 6 entries.

I have seen no report of anybody denied entry for that reason.

As I wrote previously they can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act.

• Like 1

This is at CNX.

There no rule that limits visa exempt entries to 6. That has been told to others. It is perhaps just a policy to subject greater scrutiny on those with more than 6 entries.

I have seen no report of anybody denied entry for that reason.

As I wrote previously they can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act.

yep, as keeps getting repeated.

I'm not going to be the one to test it though.

I'm curious. What should a person such as the previous poster: Dickyknee do if confronted by an Immigration Officer who denies him entry based on a rule that appears not to exist?

Should he just stand there and demand a supervisor be called? What are a persons options in this situation?

Edited by dddave

What happened to you is simply ridicolous. If I were you under no circumstances would I get a TV or Elite Card, becuase you do not need them. Like Ubonjoe said, come in with proper documentation and funds. If they don't let you in without any hassle, go spend your money somewhere else. There are plenty of nice places which would welcome you.

Edited by rogerpilly

What happened to you is simply ridicolous. If I were you under no circumstances would I get a TV or Elite Card, becuase you do not need them. Like Ubonjoe said, come in with proper documentation and funds. If they don't let you in without any hassle, go spend your money somewhere else. There are plenty of nice places which would welcome you.

Sounds like a very good suggestion, he could just move the house and girlfriend ass well.

Dumber than dirt.

Yep, that about covers it.

I can't tell you how many times I have read about this very thing on TV. Thailand needs to recognize the oil rig workers or any type of worker that rotates like rig workers and figure out what it is they need from them to prove they work on a rig. It's that simple, but TIT - I refer you back to the bold red text above.

Edited by ubonjoe
changed modified quoted text to default font and color

I have been more or less based myself in Thailand since 2007 working offshore in Africa on a 60/60 rotation. I have been entering the country using using 30 day visa exempt the entire time mostly through Bangkok and as yet I've never had a problem. If I find myself getting close to my 30 days I go visit one of the neighbouring countries for a few days and its always been ok when I return. As you can imagine my passport is peppered with stamps! Maybe as mentioned in some of the other posts it would be better to go through Bangkok.

If you are holding russian passport, they can not deny you 30 days visa waiver. I thought that was the deal with Russia and Russian tourists were allowed unlimited 30 day stamps because Thai officials did not read the fineprint smile.png

That would not apply cos....

The OP said:

Further info I rent a villa in my name in Phuket where my gf also stays, am 47 years old and English.

On my arrival card I always put down the villa address and tick staying with friends.

I my eyes I am a tourist, as I do not work here in Thailand and have a Russian work permit and one year visa in my passport.

I am aware of the no hassle thai elite card but do not really fancy shelling out 500,000 unless I have to!

How soon we forget we are all just visiting this country, does not matter how many years you have lived here. this is not your country of birth and sad to say they can kick us out at any time.

Multi entry tourist visa would stop any bs from immigration but how sad it is that they just love to mess with people.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dumber than dirt.

Unfortunately, all the years of illegitimate tourists, and now illegitimate "students," have made life difficult for some foreigners. One can't fault the Thais for trying to enforce their own visa laws and regulations.

True,but in this case Phuket immigration enforces it own laws and regulations as it suits them.

They are not the only ones.

There is NO immigration office with the same rules they make or enforce the laws as the individual want. It is harder down south to get proper visa help when needed.

This is a shame when all have the same written laws. But blame it on there lack of education as you can do every thing else here.

Dumber than dirt.

Uh! Kindly define 'Tourist' in accordance with Thai legislation/Regulations, or even 'local' interpretation. One liners are easy mate. BoneRanger makes sense. I won't flog a dead horse.