Driving in Thailand is NOT so bad

i agree with the OP. Thailand is a pretty good place to drive.

I've driven in a fair few countries and I believe the South Americans have the worst driving manners that I've seen. They seem to go out of their way to be road hogging <deleted>.

Asia deals with congestion the best way they can.

• Like 2

Other countries incidents on the road are here commonplace.....for a good, experienced and attentative driver...Thailand is okay to drive....reason, a.o, being lack of policecontrol on the roads.....so for an uneducated lot, they are not doing toooo bad.

I agree Thailand is not so bad to drive in when you get used to it... organized madness in someways,

One thing I would like Thai drivers to adopt is over taking on the right lane only (like in the UK) and not undertaking, I do find the whole over taking in any lane a bit dangerous and most of the problems I see stem from this. I also would like to see motorbikes have both lights active not just the front light, up here in north Thailand most bikes just have a front light and the rear light is often off, I was told by a Thai mate that alot of the younger riders actually think its cool to disconnect the rear light.

Driving down the wrong side of the road on the hard shoulder both cars and bikes is also something that should be stopped in my opinion but hey in the UK everything is so safe on the roads it actually becomes unsafe in some ways, plus driving in the UK seems so boring now.

One thing I would say, having drove for a year in Bangkok then a year up north in Sarakham, its a quite different, Bangkok being pretty unforgiving and a race for every meter of road which to me seemed alot more dangerous than here,

Interesting post anyway

Finally, someone with some sense! I agree with pretty much everything in the OP. Having driven in the USA, as well as some other Asian and Latin American countries, I find driving in Thailand to be just fine. And the stats you quoted are correct. Most of the fatalities in Thailand are on motorcycles. Funny how the Thai-bashers are always quoting that fatality statistic without ever considering the reasons. On any given day--and very similar to the US--I find maybe around 5% of drivers are aggressive jerks. The other 95% are just fine...although something that irritates me even more than the aggressive drivers are the slow and meek drivers. I think some farangs in Thailand may be in that latter category.

Something people aren't willing to admit is that for a country with very little traffic enforcement, the Thais do very well in policing themselves. And yes, this does mean a lot of "common sense" maneuvers which some may find reckless but really is not if everyone understood the unwritten rules of the road. I personally find driving in Thailand to be preferable to driving in the USA and truly dread the day the police start enforcing traffic laws more, such as speeding.

I don't take the fatality rate into account when assessing how dangerous it is to drive in Thailand, but I do take into account the Thai mentality that allows people to take un acceptable risks, and just ignore road rules, along with badly designed and constructed roads. My chances of an accident in Thailand are far higher than in a country where people mostly obey the road code and don't do stupid things while driving. Whether the accident causes my death is up to chance, but the likelihood is that I will have an accident sometime. I have already had one when a motorcyclist drove into me because he wasn't looking where he was going.

BTW, driving in the passing lane on "my" side of the road around a blind corner is NOT a "common sense" manoeuver, it is the action of a maniac that doesn't care if he kills someone else, just to save a few minutes of his time.

• Like 2

The word is 'anecdotal'. ;-)

He actual means 'empirical' - ie 'factual' evidence.

Driving any 4-wheeled passenger vehicle in Thailand is just fine. This decreases as you remove 2 wheels from the equation. ;-)

Edited by DaffyDuck
  • Like 2

While I'm in my car I drive defensively, with a purpose, and no sight seeing. When I'm on my motorcycle I drive as if I am subordinate to all vehicles. Seen too much in the way of bad driving and bad accidents to risk any other method of driving in LOS.

• Like 2

"it occurs to me that the empirical evidence does not support the conclusion while the hard statistics do"

LolWut?

Think he meant Anectdotal, but is trying so hard to be erudite.....

I think people who are truly erudite are more likely to think one thing and type another.

They are also less likely to deride other folks for a minor slip of tongue (or keyboard).

• Like 1

I compromised by attaching a Thai-style sidecar (a 'saling') to my Honda Click. I'm not better protected than a 2-wheeler (well, maybe on the saling side), but I can't do the kind of weaving in and out that gets motorcycle drivers in trouble. And it's very hard (not impossible, but hard) to flip.

Most importantly, other drivers on the road tend to give me a berth since they assume it's unsafe to be near me. biggrin.png

All your statistics are rubbish because Thailand doesn't count the cause of death from motor vehicle accident if the patient dies after reaching the hospital. In reality Thailand is a distant 1st place. #2 Namibia at 1/30th the size of Thailand shouldn't really count anyway being as small as it is.

The only reason the US is as high as it is is because they keep very accurate statistics when compared to most other countries.

Keep in mind too that most cars on the roads of Thailand are built to a much lower standard than those in the US and other first world country.

• Like 1

Do your number take into account the way the ROAD statics are recorded in Thailand? I am of the understanding that unless you are DEAD at the SEEN in THAILAND, it is NOT counted as a ROAD DEATH.

If you die later on route to the hospital or in the hospital then it's not attributed.

I've read that the ROAD death numbers are actually therefor under reported some international bodies saying as little as 1/3 - 1/4 of actual deaths cause on the road attributed to it.