Seriouly seek volunteers to help with a British accent audio

Lara Alex

Hello, I'm Lara. I come back to this topic again because it seems like many of my previous volunteers cannot help me get through this tough job. As a young learner, I am not able to catch all the sentences in the audio. This is an educational project that requires a high level of British English, time and patience. There are many parts of the audio that I even have no idea what the speaker is saying.

I need your help for the first 30 minutes of the audio.

I need a real 6 helpers so that each of them can just listen to the audio for around 5 minutes. Please PM me so that I can tell you which part you can help.

I am alone cannot finish this. Please help me out if you can, I beg you.

Thank you

:)

The file was uploaded via dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/la9slxp18sh51e7/006_120711_2343A0.MP3?dl=0

It seems like the link via dropbox cannot provide the full audio which is around 1 hour.

I'm sorry that the link might not work for some reasons, so I decide to upload the file again.

If anybody wanna help, please let me know. :)

Sincerely,

Lara

The new link is better as you can listen without downloading the whole thing first.

The guy in the audio is speaking quite quickly, he keeps turning away from the Microphone which makes listening difficult. Some of the foreign names and places are almost impossible to decipher as its just too fast.

If you have a method of slowing the track down to 60-75% of its normal speed you should have no problem with most of the speech.

• Like 1

this accent is from Northern England Midlands,

are we listening to the same link,

its a no local accent, clear uk english voice, talking about asean community - ''the key to sustainable tourism in Asean''

• Like 2

I only listened to the first bit of it and had absolutely no real problems in any way, apart from some specific place names which I am unfamilar with (but the listeners should be). He does speak a bit fast, but not really.

Don't mean to be a git, but people criticizing the speaker are mostly just unfamiliar with / unwilling to familiarize themselves with other accents (a common problem, even in England). Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion, but I've never had a problem with accents, unless there are significant grammar problems present, is way too fast, or is filled with slang. Maybe I just pay more attention, though I admit I come from the UK, like the speaker, so maybe I am bigging myself up unjustly in this case. In my opinion, people should watch more media from other countries to "get" the accents more, but they rarely do- something to do with comfort zones, I guess.

What rates do you want to propose in exchange for people's services? I'm being serious, because work should be paid for.

If you were at this lecture, you should have been proactive about actually asking the presenter what he meant, to slow down, etc (I didn't hear anyone speaking except him- what were the listeners doing if they had a problem?). Learning from a person is a two-way street, sorry. It's not kindergarten- students must take more control.

(If this wasn't a lecture in your course, but is a source material being used by it, why don't you ask your actual teacher / lecturer for assistance- or don't they understand it either?)

I have listened to the audio feed on the box. I used headphones to make it easier. I have to concur with some of the others, the speaker has a fairly neutral accent (certainly not Northern English) he speaks fast and is a bit of an uncertain speaker BUT listen through headphones and pause it often while you write what is being said . I can't really see a problem. You may not get all of what he is saying (he does mumble sometimes) but you will get most.

It would help to know WHY you need this?

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 2

the issue is poor audio and rapid speech.

And an amazingly boring speech that literally bounces about all over the place :-D

I'm extremely glad I wasn't present!

True about the boredom- though I think it is a case of not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear more than anything else. I don't think even someone like Stephen Fry or Peter Ustinov could make ASEAN come alive...

• Like 2

Dear jbauer,

I accept that I should watch more media from different countries in order to "get the accents more".

I accept your sincere comments.

I apologize that I cannot afford to pay for a professional translation.

If I was born in the UK and live there my whole life, I would never bother people with this request.

I seek help because I truly need it.

Regards,

Lara

• Like 2

All the audio tapes/CDs used by language centers & English departments seem too fast, and students always complain that they want the speed slowed down. But the theory is they are being conditioned to hearing and understanding normal speech. Also a variety of accents are generally used on audio tapes - various UK accents, various US accents, there's usually an Aussie popping up in the story.

• Like 1

I was a bit harsh, but concerning international education, it does annoy me when students are not able to understand a lecturer either through lack of preparation or lack of ability to ask for clarification. Maybe I was having a bad day today!

Honestly, the speaker is not bad at all, and I hope his students do not unfairly criticize him in evaluations, at least if they haven't already asked him to slow down etc!

Sincerely, I hope someone will help you.

• Like 1

Dear jbauer,I accept that I should watch more media from different countries in order to "get the accents more".I accept your sincere comments. I apologize that I cannot afford to pay for a professional translation.If I was born in the UK and live there my whole life, I would never bother people with this request.I seek help because I truly need it. Regards,Lara

Lara. Where in Bkk are you?

I listened to several minutes of the said audio and would say that it`s way too fast and furious, the quality is awful lots of static interference in the background and some words I had great difficulty in hearing properly and even as a native English speaker I too was not able to catch all the words and sentences in the audio.

This is not a good example to use for an educational project for those who`s English is not their first language. In order to decipher the whole audio will take some intense listening and probably many hours of work to do this piece by piece, unless there is a better quality version of this audio to be found somewhere else online?

Wishing the OP success but think she is working against the odds with this one.

• Like 1

This wasn't actually a regional accent as I was unable to pinpoint the town or county further than "General/Home Counties with a hint of Clive Anderson*". It was easy enough to follow but was mind-numbingly boring in presentation.

The OP should note that it was possible to reduce the speed by 50% using the settings on the right of the toolbar in the link.

HTH

(* Yes, I know he's allegedly a Jock!)

Edit: For the benefit of non Brits/English Speakers here he is stirring up the Bee Gees smile.png

Edited by evadgib

I just feel so humble and overwhelmed by many people who offered me their generous helps.

Even though some people are not available to help, I'm still thankful for their kind messages.

Section 7 is the hardest part for me and it was successfully taken care. Thank you so much naka.

Anyway, I still need help for other sections. Please feel free to PM me if you can possibly help.

:)

Regards,

Lara

done my 5 minutes worth, its not too had to follow, but the guy, mutters, goes off on a tandam, turns away from the mike and seems to make it up as he goes along, with a lot of ums thrown in for good measure, but worth it to help out a member with no cost involved

• Like 1

done my 5 minutes worth, its not too had to follow, but the guy, mutters, goes off on a tandam, turns away from the mike and seems to make it up as he goes along, with a lot of ums thrown in for good measure, but worth it to help out a member with no cost involved

Going off on a tandem...

post-62323-0-95918300-1420649707_thumb.j

Or did you mean tangent?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Dear jbauer, I accept that I should watch more media from different countries in order to "get the accents more". I accept your sincere comments. I apologize that I cannot afford to pay for a professional translation. If I was born in the UK and live there my whole life, I would never bother people with this request. I seek help because I truly need it. Regards, Lara

FWIW, I am from the US, and I understand the speaker as well.

He's rambling on and on about the prospects of (developing) tourism in ASEAN, which I would personally pronounce as AY-SEE-AN... not AH-SEE-AN.

One of the reasons why it is difficult to understand his ramblings is that he is referring to presentation material, that we as mere listeners, are not privy to seeing.

Dear jbauer, I accept that I should watch more media from different countries in order to "get the accents more". I accept your sincere comments. I apologize that I cannot afford to pay for a professional translation. If I was born in the UK and live there my whole life, I would never bother people with this request. I seek help because I truly need it. Regards, Lara

FWIW, I am from the US, and I understand the speaker as well.

He's rambling on and on about the prospects of (developing) tourism in ASEAN, which I would personally pronounce as AY-SEE-AN... not AH-SEE-AN.

One of the reasons why it is difficult to understand his ramblings is that he is referring to presentation material, that we as mere listeners, are not privy to seeing.

I pronounce it AH-SEE-AN because all the Thai/SE-Asian teachers I have heard pronounce it like this (there is also an awful song which pronounces it like this as well). Could be everyone is wrong and it is actually pronounced "AY-SEEN"... biggrin.png

It is also correct that the presentation as it was given was probably easier to grasp, through use of slides, realia, etc. Again, while not wanting to be a d--k about it, that is why students have to pay attention, not just try to catch up later- something I wish I had done more in my degree!

Hi. i'm glad to say that a miracle does happen now!

My volunteers are so nice.

I give them 1 million stars for their biggest hearts. Thank you so much. :) :) :)

It's incredible that 5 sections were successfully done.

If you (someone from a heaven) are free on the weekend, there are the last 2 sections that you can help me.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to help. :)

Best regards,

Lara

• Like 1