• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me...

#3 tiny elastic (rubber) bands

#2 plastic (carrier) bags

#1 Time!

gasoline, when they come to a meeting and let the car run 1 hour, just to keep it cool inside.

aircondition: opening the window makes the room cooler, aircon makes it cooler, why not make a combination of both (let the aircon run and open the windows)

For me...

#1 Time!

gasoline, when they come to a meeting and let the car run 1 hour, just to keep it cool inside.

aircondition: opening the window makes the room cooler, aircon makes it cooler, why not make a combination of both (let the aircon run and open the windows)

that actually uses more power / fuel. same as leaving the fridge door open

For me...

#1 Time!

belive me I know it, I am the guy who is closing everything all the day.

I may open 1 door and close 30 times windows and doors.....

but for the fridge door it is complete different. At the fridge the problem is THE BEER GET WARM!!!!!

:o:D the worst thing that can happen to male human beeings.

And a reason to get divorced if she forgets to close the fridge...

:o Good exapmples. Another scenario is the one in -7-11 or any other small shop where you buy a couple of beers and you are given a polythene carrier bag and a couple of straws. Why? Who drinks beer through a straw? Or a yoghurt, same performance but a small spoon wrapped in plastic. You will get 4 spoons for 4 yoghurts, 8 for 8. :D Too much plastic in my opinion. :D

For me...

#1 Time!

belive me I know it, I am the guy who is closing everything all the day.

I may open 1 door and close 30 times windows and doors.....

but for the fridge door it is complete different. At the fridge the problem is THE BEER GET WARM!!!!!

:o:D the worst thing that can happen to male human beeings.

And a reason to get divorced if she forgets to close the fridge...

yawn

Why write 'yawn'?

If it's that boring, look alsewhere.

If he was looking 'alsewhere' he would not have been supporting your post!

Jeez...some people.

I don't get how writing "yawn" is supportive.

I agree, if you're bored look elsewhere for amusement, and don't rain on others' parades.

BTW IMO the most wasted thing is by far, plastic carry bags. When you buy stuff and they use not one but two bags for the simplest things!

Why write 'yawn'?

If it's that boring, look alsewhere.

If he was looking 'alsewhere' he would not have been supporting your post!

Jeez...some people.

I don't get how writing "yawn" is supportive.

I agree, if you're bored look elsewhere for amusement, and don't rain on others' parades.

BTW IMO the most wasted thing is by far, plastic carry bags. When you buy stuff and they use not one but two bags for the simplest things!

I meant....at least he had read the post in order to make the comment "yawn".

If he had been looking 'alsewhere' he would not have been attempting to support the post by reading it in the first place, which he did by reading it, and after reading it he thought it was boring, so he wrote "yawn".

What was the original OP's question? Something about wasting time? I'll get my coat.

:o Good exapmples. Another scenario is the one in -7-11 or any other small shop where you buy a couple of beers and you are given a polythene carrier bag and a couple of straws. Why? Who drinks beer through a straw? Or a yoghurt, same performance but a small spoon wrapped in plastic. You will get 4 spoons for 4 yoghurts, 8 for 8. :D Too much plastic in my opinion. :D

I just tell them I don't want a straw or a spoon. Not sure what the problem is here. :D

Who drinks beer through a straw?

I do quite frequently,when out and about and don't have a glass :o

Plasic bags can be used as bin liners ( if they're big enough )

They waste a lot of perol/deseil by accelerating upto a red light then slamming on the brakes at the last second, then constantly reving the engine waiting for the light to go green.

(let the aircon run and open the windows)

:D:D Yes of course but some poeple don't understand that you can't aircondition/refridgerate the whole world !

I think they waste alot of water at songkran, living in australia and we have major droughts and live in the dryest continent in the world, maybe im just alittle jealous.

But i have to admit i love songkran

I'd have to agree with plastic bags . . . sadly you then see tham flying all over the countryside or clogging up drains in the cities.

Petrol - yup, which is surprising given the high cost of the stuff.

SBK, the point was 'wasting', I do believe there is a problem here. We can all do our part, but the vast majority don't/won't/aren't educated in recycling or minimising wasteage.

That is fairly typical of a developing country, however. (and not just them)

I understand the point was "wasting" but lets face some reality here, the number of yogurt spoons 7-11 hands out has a minimal impact compared to the level of industrial and urban pollution this country faces.

Just seems like a silly topic to me, you could just as easily make out a list about any nationality. Why pick on Thais? Why not pick on expats who waste their time posting whinges on forums? :o

I think Thai people are some of the most frugal people I've ever met! I'm definitely a more mindful person about things like electricity being left on, and saving the odd baht here and there when I can. My first few months in Thailand were so expensive, compared to what they are like now!

I think Thai people use their Motorbikes far too much, for stupidly short journeys. I like walking around, but sometimes, people insist on the point of ignorning me, by taking me to and fro places. I don't see anything wrong with using public transport if I can't be bothered to walk the 30/45 mins to here and there. It makes the roads a lot safer. These kids on bikes.

And the weird things adults give to kids. There are about 4/5 7 year olds who've just discovered the art of continually for hours, using fire crackers, right across the road on a field. no one has said anything.

But I don't think Thai's are wasteful as a culture of people, compared to the waste I see in the UK. but I think people have a lot less to be able to waste, money,etc, than they do in the UK!

I think it's a shame they're wasting their beautiful landscapes with horrible concrete atrocities that pop up around... It's going to turn into Luton guys...

But I don't think kids are given, in certain areas of Thailand, in certain wage brackets, the same chance as other kids for a better education. I read in some newspaper the other day that kids aren't given anything that work their minds, but are given things that they can use as they physically grow older.

thats right sbk.

I think them having buckets of ice in the open in bars are a waste of water, because it melts too quickly

Freezing water and then thawing water does not result in a loss of water as far as I am aware.

Can someone update my knowledge base?

I think Thai people are some of the most frugal people I've ever met! I'm definitely a more mindful person about things like electricity being left on, and saving the odd baht here and there when I can. My first few months in Thailand were so expensive, compared to what they are like now!

Naturally, it'll all depend on who you know, but if we're talking about general urban waste, you'll likely find that less developed countries actually "waste" or discard fewer items of value than developed countries. That's why there aren't any national or large waste disposal service companies (like BFI/Allied Waste in the US). It's just not worth it. That said, for those who manage/recycle/sell waste in their own small areas (without running a collection service), it's super lucrative. I know more than a few folks who have become quite wealthy from buying scrap at XX Baht a kilo from saleng (those 3 wheeled cart garbage collection people) scavengers and selling for 25-100% more per kilo. It's messy but profitable. Probably one of the easier businesses to start up if you have land, but little capital.

:o

Edited by Heng

Naturally, it'll all depend on who you know, but if we're talking about general urban waste, you'll likely find that less developed countries actually "waste" or discard fewer items of value than developed countries. That's why there aren't any national or large waste disposal service companies (like BFI/Allied Waste in the US). It's just not worth it. That said, for those who manage/recycle/sell waste in their own small areas (without running a collection service), it's super lucrative. I know more than a few folks who have become quite wealthy from buying scrap at XX Baht a kilo from saleng (those 3 wheeled cart garbage collection people) scavengers and selling for 25-100% more per kilo. It's messy but profitable. Probably one of the easier businesses to start up if you have land, but little kcapital.

:D

Agreed Heng, I have some friends that have done just this. They are probably earning several hundred thousand baht a month through their recycling business. Not a nice business but certainly profitable.

They are still Isaan though as they just married their daughter off, she is 15... :o

Who drinks beer through a straw?

I do quite frequently,when out and about and don't have a glass :o

Plasic bags can be used as bin liners ( if they're big enough )

They waste a lot of perol/deseil by accelerating upto a red light then slamming on the brakes at the last second, then constantly reving the engine waiting for the light to go green.

(let the aircon run and open the windows)

:D:D Yes of course but some poeple don't understand that you can't aircondition/refridgerate the whole world !

da*mn and I just ordered 2 penguins from from finlands-pet-shop.com

MONEY: On useless/worthless/unnecessary: tablets/potions/creams/cosmetics/quack cures etc.

MONEY: On sachets of ready-mix coffee,sugar,whitener

MONEY: On pointless lengthy gossip phonecalls.

MONEY: On leaving the fridge door open for five minutes during every visit.

On the bright side I have a massive collection of elastic bands, drinking straws, plastic spatulas, plastic bags, glass beer bottles and Pattaya Trader Magazines. :o