National reconciliation expected in maximum four years

webfact

National reconciliation expected in maximum four years
By Digital Content

14207106743351-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 8 -- Key figures in the National Reform Council (NRC) expect to complete national reconciliation and national reform in no more than four years.

NRC Chairman Thienchay Kiranandana, Constitution Drafting Committee Chairman Borwornsak Uwanno and Political Reform Committee Chairman Sombat Thamrongthanyawong held a press conference on the formation of a 20-member reconciliation-planning committee.

The panel comprises representatives of the NRC, conflict resolution experts and people affected by political conflicts. Anek Laothamatas heads the new committee.

The panel will promote national reconciliation and national reform.

It will campaign for public understanding on the causes and impacts of conflicts, create atmosphere and participation that will facilitate reconciliation, prevent the repetition of conflicts and reduce prejudices among groups of people.

Mr Thienchay said that the affected people would have opportunities to tell their stories and that lessons would be drawn from past incidents. He asked the mass media to help gather public opinion on the methods of reconciliation and said he expected reconciliation to be achieved in the near future.

Dr Borwornsak said reconciliation, reform to reduce inequality and solutions to political problems were the three main objectives of the new constitution and that society should be able to achieve reconciliation in four years.

"The process must be short and fast but it must not be immediate amnesty. There will be a process to create reconciliation that will include the acceptance of wrongdoing, rehabilitation for victims and promises to prevent the recurrence of past incidents," Dr Borwornsak said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-08

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Utter nonsense. People disagree and pursue different visions of a just/fair society. There is nothing wrong with this, disagreements and disputes in a mature society leads to compromise, ultimately the only way we can move forward.

What is needed isn't reconciliation, its respect for the laws and regulations of government and sticking to them.

Its corruption being punished and criminals going to gaol.

It's the realisation that others can be right and even if you are in power you are obligated to do what is best for the country, not your faction of the elite.

It's the realisation that winning elections does not give you the right to do whatever you want, it gives you the responsibility to rule for everyone. Stick to your campaign promises and respect the law.

There is no right or wrong political position, just different ones.

If there is no debate and dispute, if there is no respect for the law, if there is no right to legitimate protest, then democracy is dead.

Well said

• Like 2

NEWSFLASHY - NEWSFLASHY - NEWSFLASHY

After receiving comments the NRC wishes to state that unlike some seem to think foreigners are explicitly excluded from the 'reconciliation' estimate. The NRC only deals with Thai citizens.

Tongue-in-cheeky.

After receiving comments the NRC wishes to state that unlike some seem to think foreigners are explicitly excluded from the 'reconciliation' estimate. The NRC only deals with Thai citizens.

Tongue-in-cheeky.

NEWSFLASHEY

Luckily Foreigners are included in this forum and are likely to comment as they see it, in fact TV members although not Thai a lot here have Thai citizens in the family so you'll have to excuse them for taking more of an interest than the average Thai or caring what the future may hold for their kids.

Pretty simple enough.

No constitution, no election.

Thailand has already entered a period of Junta control and it has looked increasingly likely to be prolonged since day 1, there will be no return to the polls in the foreseeable future.

Im sure your more than happy Rubi, I predict things are going to get quite messy over the next few years once the people realise the truth of it.

Edited by englishoak

Tongue-in-cheeky.

NEWSFLASHEY

Luckily Foreigners are included in this forum and are likely to comment as they see it, in fact TV members although not Thai a lot here have Thai citizens in the family so you'll have to excuse them for taking more of an interest than the average Thai or caring what the future may hold for their kids.

Pretty simple enough.

Thailand has already entered a period of Junta control and it has looked increasingly likely to be prolonged since day 1, there will be no return to the polls in the foreseeable future.

Im sure your more than happy Rubi, I predict things are going to get quite messy over the next few years once the people realise the truth of it.

No problem with foreigners describing things as they see it. A bit of a problem when some describe how they see it a 'fact' though.

As for me being happy, why should or shouldn't I? I may not agree with all that's happening now, but what happened before wasn't much either, not showing a move to democracy as we might know it and might want it.

The speculation that Thaksin c.s strike deals with the NCPO or are simply waiting for some more pliable higher level figure doesn't bode well for either democracy or the normal Thai population. Elected elite or unelected elite scr_wing the population, is that the only choice posters like to discuss?

Tongue-in-cheeky.

NEWSFLASHEY

Pretty simple enough.

No problem with foreigners describing things as they see it. A bit of a problem when some describe how they see it a 'fact' though.

As for me being happy, why should or shouldn't I? I may not agree with all that's happening now, but what happened before wasn't much either, not showing a move to democracy as we might know it and might want it.

The speculation that Thaksin c.s strike deals with the NCPO or are simply waiting for some more pliable higher level figure doesn't bode well for either democracy or the normal Thai population. Elected elite or unelected elite scr_wing the population, is that the only choice posters like to discuss?

Y'know the paranoia of Thailand with Thaksin is turning into part of the excuse to withhold democracy, he's really become the boogyman of choice but i can understand you having a problem with the word "fact" as most opinions are no more than that,an opinion. It dosnt help that facts in news items are also mostly no more than an opinion sold as factual either.

There is much many would like to discuss here no doubt but sadly most of it is taboo and its really not fair to blame members for the narrowness of the post content, especially political.

Anyways im sure

Well 4 years of peace, harmony and happiness are not so bad. I just asked my wife if it matters to her...and the answer is no. I asked her if other people in the village worry about having a military government for 4 more years. No was the reply. Everyone wants the folks in far away Bangkok to get it right...and if they don't they get kicked, they go!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That would depend if they are able to wipe out the fear of Thaksin from their dreams within that time. And neutralise all his supporters.

No. The Junta needs Thaksin to keep alive the need for military dominance of the nation. They may even erect a statue to Thaksin with the words "Our Savior."

Why does everything take so long in this country? The answer is really quite simple. Enforce the existing laws fairly & evenly across society. The only thing to change is to quicken the slow pace in the judicial system so wrongdoers, no matter who they are, actually get punished instead of allowing them to drag it out through endless appeals, something the average citizen cannot afford.