Should I just butt out?

Gecko123

Would a Vietnamese greet another Vietnamese in a Wallmart in rural Arkansas? coffee1.gif

Why not?

In the past I have been in the deepest, darkest regions of Chiang Mai, sometimes sitting or queuing to pay a bill or sitting in a noodle stall at a local market and found myself sharing the same space as another farang. Then just made a simple comment, such as, this is a long queue, or it`s been a hot day today or similar on those lines, then had a response by either a grunt, total no response at all or a look as if I had just trod in a pile of dogs crap. Most of them have faces that could sink a thousand ships, totally unapproachable and these days I would not even consider infringing on their good person by letting them know I exist, something that appears to be strictly taboo with many ex-pats here in Thailand.

I can remember once about 12 years ago when I was at a local market. I saw an American guy who could not speak a word of Thai trying to ask a Thai lady where he could get a key cut. I knew of a key shop that was close by, so I intervened and told the guy, I can show you where to have a key cut. Then i took the guy to the shop, there was no one in the shop and then went to fetch the man who cut the keys. The American gave the man his key to be copied and the key man told the American to come back in 15 minutes. On that note the American just turned his back and walked out of the shop without any acknowledgement to me at all. I chased after the American guy, grabbed his arm and said; where I come from people usually say thank you if you do them a good deed. Then he begrudgingly said thanks and walked off. I thought; you a/hole, I hope the new key doesn`t fit.

In my opinion these people are weird and these days have found it better to blank these farangs if out and about.

The main reason why he's so rude to you is he's American...

I have a good memory. I'll smile at you once and if you don't' smile back then I will ignore you forever; even if I see you dying on the footpath.

Yeah, I agree with that........... They are dead to me.

I wouldn't waste my time with ignorant people who don't recognise basic manners.

Poor education, poor upbringing.

Life's too short.smile.png

• Like 1

Would a Vietnamese greet another Vietnamese in a Wallmart in rural Arkansas? coffee1.gif

Only if they knew they were Vietnamese. They certainly wouldn't greet some random Asian person. In America, it's not that easy to tell the Asians apart. A Vietnamese looks like a Thai who looks like a Burmese who looks like a Filipino. And a Japanese certainly wouldn't greet a Korean.

I concur with your analysis Dr. Phill, It could also quite simply be the head down, muttering foreigner is an ass.

Not trying to get my own talk show. smile.png Will admit that I am trying to debunk the myth that this behavior is "cool" or "hip" or "in." It's pretty sad, really, when you think about it.

• Like 1

I've seen this story before.

I too have been there done that and find geckos, altho very useful in that they eat mosquitoes, to Have little in common with humans.

While I will turn on the light in the carport to attract dinner for you, I have no interest in Reptile or is it amphibian issues.

I will try not to run you down with my scooter . If you are an exceptional Amphibian & play the violin I will Listen. Unless , of course you play country!

If your Violin Bow needs to be rehaired and you ask for advice, I might even locate said bowhair & install it for you, or repair your cracked soundboard.

No matter how well you anunciate Ge coe, tow keay, where can I get a pizza, any good hamburger around here, yaaaduh yaaaduh yaaaduh.

Am I bored yet. Did I travel halfway around the world to meet reptiles, or people that have less in common with me than the birds in the trees.

No O look a white dude I am white I must have found a new friend. Hi white person I am white will you be my friend..

I will tell you how much I love jesus

AAAAAAAAHhhhhhh No...

• Like 1

Let's take for example, a Western guy who marries a Thai woman and moves to Thailand. Let's say he speaks little or no Thai, and her English is very basic. Once he moves here, his social network back home typically begins to gradually wither away. Since the guy cannot speak Thai, he may find that his wife is one of the few people in her family or the village he can communicate with. In some cases, the language barrier can be so severe that even conversing with his wife can be a struggle. On top of this, the guy may struggle to adjust to the local culture and the resources available to help with this adjustment may be limited.

Complete BS,

Try talking to a stranger in Walmart next time you are back in the US, they will avoid you.

I just don't want to talk to strangers when I'm shopping.

In Thai, English, French or Spanish.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Only if they knew they were Vietnamese. They certainly wouldn't greet some random Asian person. In America, it's not that easy to tell the Asians apart. A Vietnamese looks like a Thai who looks like a Burmese who looks like a Filipino. And a Japanese certainly wouldn't greet a Korean.

That's an interesting distinction.

I was actually asserting that a Vietnamese would definitely be friendly to another Vietnamese in such a setting.

I disagree that it's that hard to tell Asian nationalities apart especially for other Asians ... though would yes sometimes it might require hearing the person speak.

Let's take for example, a Western guy who marries a Thai woman and moves to Thailand. Let's say he speaks little or no Thai, and her English is very basic. Once he moves here, his social network back home typically begins to gradually wither away. Since the guy cannot speak Thai, he may find that his wife is one of the few people in her family or the village he can communicate with. In some cases, the language barrier can be so severe that even conversing with his wife can be a struggle. On top of this, the guy may struggle to adjust to the local culture and the resources available to help with this adjustment may be limited.

Complete BS,

Try talking to a stranger in Walmart next time you are back in the US, they will avoid you.

I just don't want to talk to strangers when I'm shopping.

In Thai, English, French or Spanish.

I agree with you to a point. I also would not want to feel obliged to have to acknowledge every other farang who I happen to be sharing the same space with when I`m out and I don`t think this is the issue here.

A few questions for you: if for example you were in a driving license centre, sitting in the waiting area in a queue waiting to called to collect your driving license, then a normal looking English speaking farang guy sat next to you and after a few minutes begins a conversation, nothing extraordinary, perhaps talking about his experiences at the driving license centre during that day or similar. What would be your thoughts and how would you react?

Would you think; Oh hell, why did this a/hole have to pick on me? Seems like a decent gentleman and reciprocate the conversation? Reciprocate the conversation thinking I`m glad the guy sat next to me, to pass the time and break the monotony of what would otherwise be a boring day? Reciprocate but in a cold curt manner making it obvious you don`t want to talk with him? Ignore the guy completely? Or get up and go to sit somewhere else?

Sorry, no prizes for the right answer, just interested in your attitude, the ways of thinking and how you would react if you found yourself in the kind of situation I am mentioned above.

• Like 1

That's an interesting distinction.

I was actually asserting that a Vietnamese would definitely be friendly to another Vietnamese in such a setting.

I disagree that it's that hard to tell Asian nationalities apart especially for other Asians ... though would yes sometimes it might require hearing the person speak.

Actually, it is quite difficult--even for Asians--to know each other's nationality just by mere physical appearance. And you're forgetting that most Asians in the US are most likely Asian-Americans...meaning that many don't even speak their mother tongue. For example, a Japanese-American may not be able to speak one word of Japanese if he was born and raised in the US. So they have almost zero connection with immigrant Asians.

A few questions for you: if for example you were in a driving license centre, sitting in the waiting area in a queue waiting to called to collect your driving license, then a normal looking English speaking farang guy sat next to you and after a few minutes begins a conversation, nothing extraordinary, perhaps talking about his experiences at the driving license centre during that day or similar. What would be your thoughts and how would you react?

No problem in the DLC, or a hotel bar/reception, you have something in common.

Random dudes in the street or supermarkets, no, it's just plain weird.

PS

I can pick out Chinese and Koreans, no speaking required, you can spot them by their clothing and body shape.

Burmese amongst Thais also very easy to pick out.

Not so familiar with Vietnamese.

PS

I can pick out Chinese and Koreans, no speaking required, you can spot them by their clothing and body shape.

When I was in the US, I almost couldn't tell Asians apart. Now if I was in Chinatown, I'd assume most of the Asians there were Chinese. Or Filipinos in Filipino markets.

Having been in Thailand for awhile, I can usually tell the tourist Chinese from the locals. Sometimes even the Burmese from the Thais...but not always. Japanese and Koreans, not that easy. But if you line up a Thai, Vietnamese, Burmese, Cambodian, Filipino, I honestly could not tell them apart. And I very much doubt most people could.

PS

When I was in the US, I almost couldn't tell Asians apart. Now if I was in Chinatown, I'd assume most of the Asians there were Chinese. Or Filipinos in Filipino markets.

Having been in Thailand for awhile, I can usually tell the tourist Chinese from the locals. Sometimes even the Burmese from the Thais...but not always. Japanese and Koreans, not that easy. But if you line up a Thai, Vietnamese, Burmese, Cambodian, Filipino, I honestly could not tell them apart. And I very much doubt most people could.

We aren't talking ethnic family background, we are talking nationality from birth.

Different nationalities make clear and obvious styling choices.

If I were in Chinatown (SF), I would assume they were almost all Americans.

I've seen this story before.

I too have been there done that and find geckos, altho very useful in that they eat mosquitoes, to Have little in common with humans.

While I will turn on the light in the carport to attract dinner for you, I have no interest in Reptile or is it amphibian issues.

I will try not to run you down with my scooter . If you are an exceptional Amphibian & play the violin I will Listen. Unless , of course you play country!

If your Violin Bow needs to be rehaired and you ask for advice, I might even locate said bowhair & install it for you, or repair your cracked soundboard.

No matter how well you anunciate Ge coe, tow keay, where can I get a pizza, any good hamburger around here, yaaaduh yaaaduh yaaaduh.

Am I bored yet. Did I travel halfway around the world to meet reptiles, or people that have less in common with me than the birds in the trees.

No O look a white dude I am white I must have found a new friend. Hi white person I am white will you be my friend..

I will tell you how much I love jesus

AAAAAAAAHhhhhhh No...

I take it you are having a go at the OP's avitar name.

And how would you reply if her name was "wet-pussy69"?

No problem in the DLC, or a hotel bar/reception, you have something in common.

Random dudes in the street or supermarkets, no, it's just plain weird.

PS

Glad that is your answer, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I think this is the type of situation the OP is referring to. I have also found myself in similar situations when I have casually begun chatting to another farang and received some kind of rude responses, where the person has acted like a total pig that leaves a sour taste in the mouth, plus it`s demolishing, thinking; why on Earth did I try to talk with that fella? .

So because of these rude and arrogant attitudes I have over the years blanked most farangs I meet when out unless they approach me first and if they do try to make talk with me I am always hospitable unless the person is trying to sell me something or pushing religion into my face.

• Like 1

The girlfriend plans to work and travel abroad, her main plan being Ireland. I asked why, suggesting Australia has high wages, cheaper to get to with 2 year work and travel visa options. She replied 'I don't want to meet other Thais', so chose a place where she had never heard of Thais going.

I must remember to hug every farang I see on the street from this day forth. In fact, did anyone ever meet that a-hole that wandered around Emporium with the 'free guy's t-shirt doing just that? I reckon he got more fark offs than hugs

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Costas does not say hi to anyone in Lotus anymore.....leave him alone !

Well on a wide note there are quite a few farang in this country that I have no desire to acknowledge

let alone get into even a simple exchange with.

Some have said the same about me no doubt.

I walk and mostly have a smile of inner peace and contentment on my face. I'm not on any substances and often receive a nod or a hello from those that pass by.

The world is full of happy, sad and indifferent people. My day is what I choose to make it.

Peace to All.

One Day at a Time.

• Like 2