Facebook group against Thai superstition stirs debate

webfact

Forget Zebra's put up some statues of ghosts.

1) it will remind the living what will happen to them if they don't slow down.

2) ghosts will be scared off by the competition.

There are many very realistic statues of ghosts there already.

You just can not see them!

• Like 1

Stupid is, as stupid does. Only stupid uneducated people believe in superstitions.

Oh... right... this is Thailand. Oh well, never mind then.

I know a lot of well educated people who are not stupid, who are still Christians!

Explain that!

• Like 2

Stupid is, as stupid does. Only stupid uneducated people believe in superstitions.

I know a lot of well educated people who are not stupid, who are still Christians!

Explain that!

Smart people are just as likely to have irrational beliefs as any other person, the difference is that they can construct more elaborate and self persuasive arguments and scenarios to justify their beliefs to themselves and others.

• Like 1

Smart people can separate faith-based beliefs from physical reality, like traffic safety conditions. Smart people understand the difference between nameless ghosts and historical figures on whose teachings global religions have been founded. Smart people understand that spewing anti-religious bile is not a demonstration of superior wisdom and insight.

• Like 2

Simple solution..

Just make sure your Buddha amulet is up to date..

BTW do those expire, or does the power drain out like a battery?

So im guessing in all these daily accidents the problem was simply that they forgot to wear their magic symbol

Dammit--i ran out of the house to drink with Somchai, thus leaving my life saving buddha on the bedpost.....

Or maybe its just another excuse to avoid personal blame---seemingly like most religions and thai logic

I know..i know..I no understand......................

How are they different from the Lucky Charms in the West?

Or Crosses in Christianity?

Or "Wishing On A Star"

If people choose to believe in these artifacts & in many cases gain comfort or a sense of security from them...then who are we to judge?

Edited by faraday

I am all for stomping out superstition!

Let's start with the most harmful superstition.

The superstition responsible for more death, suffering and exploitation than any other in history.

Let's start by stomping out Christianity.

The rest are all small potatoes.

After thought..include Jewish and muslim beliefs in that.

All three believe in the same invisible friend and fight and kill each other over him!

Spot on!!clap2.gif

The believers in the invisible friend are in no way any smarter than the people, they ridicule for their "primitive" beliefs!!

True, but as an atheist i love watching it while drinking a beer and waiting for the big flash .... cu never again ... mai pen rai ...

Explain that!

Maybe not stupid but, certainly delusional parchment worshippers.

biggrin.png

But who needs parchments when you have these...

post-206952-0-28352500-1420818504_thumb.

Edited by iReason

It's the brain dead mentality of western people, whose conditioning makes it incapable for them to look outside the box.

These shrines work similarly to accident black spot signs that we have in the west.

If a Thai is driving at a fast speed on a stretch of road and sees one of these shrines, then they are more likely to slow down and thus reduce accidents in this area.

Get it now?

Yet the same locations continue to claim lives.

Do YOU get it now?

For all the people writing that this is just superstitious nonsense, how many of you and so many millions more across the world, believe in god? For all of you that do, isn't this just the same as you are berating the Thais for doing, being and believing in ghosts and supernatural spirits? It seems ok to everyone to be brainwashed in to thinking and believing that there is some supernatural being called god around but it's not ok for people to believe in anything other than this elusive God. How many people go to church and pray to someone or something that they have never and probably will never see anything of? Answer - 100's of millions but, hey! Most of the people doing this aren't thai are they and the Thais being citizens of a 3rd world country, they don't know what they are doing believing in the supernatuRal, right? People berating others for their beliefs whilst spouting on about another belief are simply biased to their own cause. Live and let live and leave everyone else to believe whatever they want to as, none of us know what is out there, if anything, after we die and the only time we will ever know is when its too late to change our mind.

• Like 1

During my daily walk I pass a shrine with lots of zebras, and I always wondered why zebras.... It's not a busy intersection, just a condo entrance... Anyway, just to add my two cents I believe in ghosts and spirits, I saw my uncle's ghost as a child before we even knew his condition, and when another uncle was shot I dreamed he was knocking at our back door... Doesn't matter if others believe or not, I share the Thai belief in ghosts and spirits....

During my daily walk I pass a shrine with lots of zebras, and I always wondered why zebras.... It's not a busy intersection, just a condo entrance... Anyway, just to add my two cents I believe in ghosts and spirits, I saw my uncle's ghost as a child before we even knew his condition, and when another uncle was shot I dreamed he was knocking at our back door... Doesn't matter if others believe or not, I share the Thai belief in ghosts and spirits....

It's not about malevolent ghosts and spirits.

It's about idiot drivers and fools who don't take responsibility for their own actions.

But, hey, that's Thainess. wai2.gifwai.gif

Always blame someone/something else...

wink.png

• Like 2

For all the people writing that this is just superstitious nonsense, how many of you and so many millions more across the world, believe in god? For all of you that do, isn't this just the same as you are berating the Thais for doing, being and believing in ghosts and supernatural spirits? It seems ok to everyone to be brainwashed in to thinking and believing that there is some supernatural being called god around but it's not ok for people to believe in anything other than this elusive God. How many people go to church and pray to someone or something that they have never and probably will never see anything of? Answer - 100's of millions but, hey! Most of the people doing this aren't thai are they and the Thais being citizens of a 3rd world country, they don't know what they are doing believing in the supernatuRal, right? People berating others for their beliefs whilst spouting on about another belief are simply biased to their own cause. Live and let live and leave everyone else to believe whatever they want to as, none of us know what is out there, if anything, after we die and the only time we will ever know is when its too late to change our mind.

Sane people do not believe in fairy tales. But that is not the point here. The point is they drive like <deleted> invincible idiots.

#2 in the world for road fatalities. Numbers do not lie. Thais are complete idiots when operating a motor vehicle. I wish that were not true, but stats are stats.

• Like 1

Explain that!

Just look at the news the last couple of days,there are worse Religions!

Edited by MAJIC

It's the brain dead mentality of western people, whose conditioning makes it incapable for them to look outside the box.

These shrines work similarly to accident black spot signs that we have in the west.

If a Thai is driving at a fast speed on a stretch of road and sees one of these shrines, then they are more likely to slow down and thus reduce accidents in this area.

Get it now?

Let's line the road with these animals then. Surely you can't be serious. 'The brain dead' mentality of western people brought road deaths in the west down to an average of 2000 a year per European country during a 20 year period of new road and traffic regulations and strict enforcement. I can assure you it had absolutely nothing to do with plastic animals.

• Like 1

I find it admirable that in the 21st century that Thai people believe in ghosts and good luck charms against evil while coping with the rush into a modern society. Naivity can be promote a calming attitude and cushon the stress of an advancing society as Thailand begins global partnerships with other nations. Of course education and experience with foreign cultures might mitigate such superstitious naivity but hopefully not as harshly as some would like.

Get it now?

You are wrong. They are more likely to speed up thinking that they are protected. I mix with many Thais and that is how they think.