US issues global travel warning after terror attacks

Lite Beer

US issues global travel warning after terror attacks
BRADLEY KLAPPER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States has issued a global travel warning after recent terror attacks in France, Australia and Canada.

The alert comes hours after French police killed three hostage-takers in a pair of incidents. Two of the men are believed responsible for Wednesday's attack on a satirical magazine in Paris. Twelve people were killed in that assault, France's deadliest terror incident in decades.

The State Department's warning says attacks against Americans are becoming increasingly prevalent. It also cites an increased risk of reprisals against U.S. and Western targets for the U.S.-led intervention against Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

The warning also cited last month's hostage standoff at a Sydney cafe and the October killing of a soldier near Canada's parliament.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-10

Sweet, cheaper tickets to fly to Thailand!!! I am serious, but I am also serious when I say my heart goes out to everyone living in fear in Paris and elsewhere. Since the beginning of time, there has been horrible things....but in this day we can get 1,000 twitter pictures or a live stream that takes fear and multiplies it by 1000.

• Like 1

Well, I think about that poor English guy who's family were trying to raise money to get him home, because he had no insurance. This type of warning will make it even more improbable that any Insurance you do get, will probably be void. Bad news for the tourist industry??

This type of situation will not void insurance.

On the other hand, how long before the Thai Government statement that this will not affect tourism in Thailand?

it will void it.

Insurance companies love the old "act of God".

They don't care who's God.

The Acts of God exclusion is a myth. It does not exist.

• Like 1

Instituting a foreign policy that respects the sovereign rights of other countries would be a good first step in the direction of safe travel for everyone.

However, for a start, examples can be brought up of the kidnapping (and slaughter) of innocent tourists by Islamist miltiants in the early to mid 90s in which the demands made by kidnappers were against local governments over domestic issues, long before the controversial "interventions" in Afghanistan and Iraq. For example, Indian Kashmir in 95 (Hans Christian Ostrø, etc) and the truly barbaric sadistic slaughter of innocent tourists from all over the world in Deir el-Bahri (Luxor, Egypt) in 1997, by al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya militants with domestic grudges that they were chewing on.

In Yemen, the kidnap of foreign tourists to force the hand of Government in major or laughably minor disputes, was notorious and still is. In 1998, Aden-Abyan Islamic Army, an Islamist militia who had been operating for years domestically, kidnapped 16 tourists from around the world. and four were slaughtered. It is inconvenient to the narrative that the actions of western nations have led to a 'response' which is the emergence of Islamist organisations as a threat locally or overseas, that the victims in such kidnappings often included citizens from nations which are either ambigous politically or completely neutral. In reality, the Islamist threat had been rising and operating in nations overseas long before the western interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan. If western interventionss only poured fuel on the fire is a debate in itself, but the Islamist fire had already begun prior to them.

• Like 2

Well, I think about that poor English guy who's family were trying to raise money to get him home, because he had no insurance. This type of warning will make it even more improbable that any Insurance you do get, will probably be void. Bad news for the tourist industry??

On the other hand, how long before the Thai Government statement that this will not affect tourism in Thailand?

it will void it.

The Acts of God exclusion is a myth. It does not exist.

But Force Majeure does exist.

it will void it.

They should invoice ROP headquarters.

Back when Bush invaded Afghanistan I traveled to Thailand from California to be with my wife.

Many in Thailand told me I was the first American they had seen in months.

American??? If anyone asks...I am Canadian!" 555

In fact, I have been Canadian since the news about CIA torture tactics was released weeks ago.

Eh hosers?

The attack happens in France and Americans are scared of flying.

Grow a pair coffee1.gif

Just because the State Department issues a travel warning doesn't mean Americans are "scared" of flying.

Don't let your obvious disdain for the American way overload your senses.

It's just strange as the attacks were made on home grounds, why warn about travel.

It's like saying something on US territory like it did in France is not possible.

The US land is not deprived of terrorists.

Please take the time to re-read the OP and stay on topic. Trolling will get you suspended.

"The United States has issued a global travel warning after recent terror attacks in France, Australia and Canada."

Please note the word 'global'.

• Like 1

Grow a pair coffee1.gif

Just because the State Department issues a travel warning doesn't mean Americans are "scared" of flying.

Don't let your obvious disdain for the American way overload your senses.

Lol, planes and airports are empty as sissy Americans huddle in the darkness of their unlit inner bathrooms in terror hiding from rageful raggires roaming the streets.

None of this stuff slows down the pace of Americans and the government issues these releases just so they can say, unlike 911, that we told you so if something does happen.

These whacky little lone wolf or terrorist wussies are such a minute threat to the general public that no one cares. Better chance of being struck by lightening than confronting a rageful raggy in the loose in the US.

• Like 2

Grow a pair coffee1.gif

As an American, I already have a pair. A few years ago, I took my motorcycle and went to

Yala in southern Thailand to have lunch. If you do not know your Thai

geography , Yala is ground zero for the southern insurgency there, with lots of deaths.

When I came back and told my Thai friends where I had gone, they thought I was insane....

Tell me the country you are from, so I can make some inane generalisation about it. coffee1.gif

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

So how are we supposed to respond to such a warning? Get our affairs in order or something? Find the old Maple Leaf decal to sew on stuff?

The maple leaf flag thing is so seventies.....

I know.

So anyway ... what are they suggesting we do?

Be vigilant and don't place yourself in a predicament. This is the only thing you can do except taking a course on Anti Terrorism Force Protection. smile.png

I remember as a child watching hundreds of people walking slowly

with placards down main street, i asked mum, what are they doing

protesting replied my mum,, what is protesting mum ?

It's what people do if they disagree with someone or something.

So where did we go wrong, i remember chancellor Merkel from

Germany gave a speech regarding the EU how multiculturalism

had failed world wide, did anyone hear that speech,, probably not

as it was hushed up and forgotten about real quick but i wonder if

it will raise it's pretty head once again, once again a few using guns

to ruin things for the many.

Edited by Scott
Image containing profanity removed.

I've been receiving these travel warnings from the State Department for nearly 35 years.

Nearly all of them give a brief synopsis of the threat and tell you to "Keep a low profile".

The first one I recall was issued over Armed Forces radio in Tehran during the Iranian revolution.

This warning told all Americans to remain off the streets and stay home, with most businesses being closed the next day...or the way they put it then, "Keep a low profile".

Knowing my car and driver would not be showing up the next morning, I came up with a marvelous idea of how to spend the next day.

I called three friends and we met at Imperial Country Club for a marvelous round of uninterrupted golf on a deserted golf course.

The rioting Muslims looted downtown banks and burned down liquor stores (after stealing their contents) but left the four of us alone.

A great day was had by all.

• Like 1

OK, well this is a little more specific from the U.S. Embassy Bangkok:

Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. Examples of such targets include high-profile sporting events, residential areas, business offices, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas, shopping malls, and other tourist destinations both in the United States and abroad where U.S. citizens gather in large numbers, including during holidays.

EAST ASIA AND PACIFIC: Information from credible sources suggests that there is a continued risk of armed terrorist and criminal groups operating and planning attacks against foreigners, including U.S. citizens, in the East Asian and Pacific region. Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) and the Abu Sayyaf Group, have cells operating throughout Southeast Asia and JI is linked to al-Qaida and other regional terrorist groups.