Condominiums in Chiang Mai

1FinickyOne

You suggest that in an 'owners market' they dont care about the tenants. Where do you get your 'definite' statement about that?

Every sensible owner knows that the market is cyclical and competitive at many points. They want repeat, long staying tenants who look after their property whether its a renters market or not. And they want psoitive word of mouth not disgruntled tenants slagging them off.

If you have ever owned property you rented out did YOU treat your tenants badl/unfairly in an 'owners market' - I doubt it.

• Like 1

You suggest that in an 'owners market' they dont care about the tenants. Where do you get your 'definite' statement about that?

Every sensible owner knows that the market is cyclical and competitive at many points. They want repeat, long staying tenants who look after their property whether its a renters market or not. And they want psoitive word of mouth not disgruntled tenants slagging them off.

If you have ever owned property you rented out did YOU treat your tenants badl/unfairly in an 'owners market' - I doubt it.

I hired a property manager to handle the renting of my US condo for a few years and I have no idea how he treated the people. I do know he screened them quite carefully and was quite selective in who he rented to, at least this is what he told me.

But it makes no difference since Chiang Mai is still a renters' market, and looking at the way they build new condos, guesthouses, and apartments, it will be for quite some time.

Have a few properties for rent in CM and other asia cities, some of my properties rented over 10 years to same tenant, and recently start buying CM property to add to my portfolio for passive rental income. Whether or not is owner or tenant market, over supply or under supply.....my logic is to rent out asap with slightly lower than market price and give my tenant/customer the best service and best condition property they are getting from me. wai2.gif

Is always good to have happy returning customer and sometime they even introduce other customers to me. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Unlike in your home country, there is a chance you can lose 100% of your investment. Yes, 100%. Things can happen....

What could you make on the upside? 10% after a ton of headache, hassle, and maybe a few years......odds are you will lose

It's an investment. So, rent and put your money into another investment. there are no guarantees in life, but buying a condo isn't a wise choice in Thailand.

In fact, if possible, buy in your home country, rent it out, and go to Thailand.......yes, this is another thread, but something to think about. Maybe you need to take out a loan, but it still might end up the much better choice 10 years from now...

Better to rent than to buy as you are not stuck in one place for a long time and/or have the place sit empty while trying to rent it out.

I would rather rent as it is so inexpensive and allows you the freedom to move elsewhere if a noisy Karaoke bar opens up next door or if you just want to move to a more desirable location.

BTW, has anyone stayed at View Doi Mansion?

Looks like a good location. Close to the NE corner of Moat. Wondering how much noise from the airport though?

Studio apts. (28 sq m) are 5k BHT per month, plus 7 BHT per unit electric

1 BDRM. apts (56 sq m) are 12k BHT per month, same price for electric.

I heard they run at or near 100% occupancy though.

Looks like a good place to stay while hunting for something better, or just stay there long term.

I don't need anything more than a Studio as I'm a single guy and 5K BHT per month considering the location looks like a good deal, although like most places, they do tack on charges above the 4BHT per unit electricity.

Anyone stay there and give some feedback?

Galore Thong Condo looks like a good deal as well.

It is located further away from the moat, off of the SE corner of the moat, but Electricity is 5BHT per kw so that saves a bit of money if you run the AC a lot.

They have larger rooms than View Doi Mansion's smaller rooms, about 42 sq m and depending on amenities and length of stay, rooms run between about 7,200 BHT to 10,000 BHT

They also have larger rooms as well, including suites.

This looks like a good option as well, bigger rooms than Doi Mansion, but electric costs less and less likely to get airport noise.

BTW, Doi Mansion is near the NW corner of the moat, not the NE as I wrote in the post above.

I could see staying at Galore Thong long-term although it's a bit further from the moat, it's closer to the Night Bazaar and Loi Kroh Rd than View Doi Mansion.

I'm going to get a Scooter anyways, but will also take Songthaews and Tuk-Tuks at times.

Looks like a good location. Close to the NE corner of Moat. Wondering how much noise from the airport though?

North West corner. (It's Santitham. Which is an interesting and increasingly vibrant area very close to the old city. )

Lots of noise as you might expect from any city location, but airplane noise would be minimal; they take off North straight over Nimmanhaemin, then most flights loop right and then back South just outside the Superhighway. You'll hear them at night somewhat but it's Thailand: lots of ambient noise anyway so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Go stand there at 11pm and check. ;)

• Like 1

North West corner. (It's Santitham. Which is an interesting and increasingly vibrant area very close to the old city. )

Lots of noise as you might expect from any city location, but airplane noise would be minimal; they take off North straight over Nimmanhaemin, then most flights loop right and then back South just outside the Superhighway. You'll hear them at night somewhat but it's Thailand: lots of ambient noise anyway so I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Go stand there at 11pm and check. wink.png

I like that area, it's close to Chiang Mai University Hospital and to the University, so there is probably a lot of eye candy for younger guys.

Galore Thong looks like a better Condo as it has bigger rooms but for more money, but as mentioned above, electric is charged at 5 BHT per Kw but the location probably isn't as good as View Doi.

I have time before settling in Thailand for good, but I want to see what my options are as far as condo rentals and prices.

View Doi has small rooms but is inexpensive but in a more desirable location while Galore Thong has larger rooms that cost more, but electric costs less although I prefer the location of View Doi.

I would like to find a Condo like Galore Thong, but in a better location.

Either way, Chiang Mai rentals are a bargain. I'm sure I'll find something very suitable at around 10k BHT or less per month.

It would be nice to have a sub-forum where Expats can post where they live, how much they pay and what their living experience is like.

It might be in one of the Sticky posts -- I'll do another search and see what comes up.

Yeah, between Galare Thong (Farang ghetto) and Santiham I would always go for Santitham.. More interesting.

Or just any condo that's not on Nimmanhaemin or Canal Road or otherwise far out. (Traffic issues, or just being too far out)

There are a couple on Chang Klan closer in, or Riverside Condominium of course at Nong Hoi (not really closer though) and then there is for example Doi Ping Mansion near the river on Charoen Prathet Road. Some units are really very large there, and it's a good and quiet area, while still very much in town.

• Like 1