Sky Train with luggage, family, baby

ocejanic

Dear Forum,

I have a question about getting to downtown Bangkok from the airport.

We are

- my wife and myself

- baby stroller with our 1 y/o child in it

Luggage:

- I carry my giant backpack (25kg) and a small one on my chest, so both hands free.

- my wife has a big suitcase on 4 wheels, 25kg, and a small backpack.

We will arrive by plane from Samui at 2 pm.

We previously took taxis to the city, but would rather like to go by sky train for a number of reasons. we might have to link up to BTS after the sky train.

My questions are:

1. Is it ALLOWED to travel on the sky train with the luggage mentioned?

2. Is it POSSIBLE to do it, considering we are both physically fit and used to the climate?

3. Is it ADVISEABLE to do it, considering the pros and cons and other alternatives which you are hereby invited to throw in?

Thanks for help.

If you mean the Airport Rail Link, you can take your stuff but there is some walking involved at the airport and the carriages are not really designed for luggage storage, you may end up standing if the train is busy.

I can only comment on the terminus at Phaya Thai, that is where you ink up with the BTS Skytrain.

Quite a walk along the connecting bridge and then stairs and escalators, pretty sure a lot of Skytrain stations do not have lifts (elevators).

Personally, with all your bags and family I would take a taxi.

• Like 1

Possible? yes, also its allowed but then you might annoy alot if people with all your stuff on a crowded train and there is quite some walking involved.

Since you are askung this question I assume you never used the skytrain here so you would be running around with all your stuff, stressing your kid and probably yourselves.

Price, near the same.

The only reason I can think to take that train is to save time but than again, its holiday right? :)

I would hop in a taxi, kid happy, wife happy amd you happy. No stress or running around

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info!

So taking a taxi:

I've heard it's somehow smart to not exit the airport on the arrival level but on the departure level, where it mighgt be easier to quickly find an empty taxi ( because it has just dropped off passengers)?

Thanks for all the info!

So taking a taxi:

I've heard it's somehow smart to not exit the airport on the arrival level but on the departure level, where it mighgt be easier to quickly find an empty taxi ( because it has just dropped off passengers)?

not anymore, at the departure level you cannot go to the taxi lane. You need to go down to the lowest level and take taxi there. They just introduced new cueing system. I agree with previous comments, better take taxi especially during weekends it is easier and faster than airport link / BTS.
  • Like 2

I took the Airport Link after seeing the 50 metre queue for taxis at Suvarnabhumi. 25 baht to my stop at Hua Mark. Apart from myself I saw maybe 5 other foreigners on a train load of 100 passengers, probably mostly airport employees. No wonder this service is losing money as almost zero tourists use it despite the appalling taxi service.

I took the Airport Link after seeing the 50 metre queue for taxis at Suvarnabhumi. 25 baht to my stop at Hua Mark. Apart from myself I saw maybe 5 other foreigners on a train load of 100 passengers, probably mostly airport employees. No wonder this service is losing money as almost zero tourists use it despite the appalling taxi service.

So that makes 50 Bht compared to, say, 500 Bht with taxi? I wouldn't mind standing in the train carriage balancing our luggage on my head for that bargain!

So that makes 50 Bht compared to, say, 500 Bht with taxi? I wouldn't mind standing in the train carriage balancing our luggage on my head for that bargain!

+ taxi fare to my house from Hua Mark station

while the Airport EXPRESS line which goes straight to Makkasan is losing money (BIIIIG money) indeed, the City line definitely isn't as it is more overcrowded than the BTS during the rush hours.

there have been fierce discussions in Thai newspapers and social networks over the past few years about those overcrowded trains. the crowds don't travel all the way to Suvarnabhumi though, it is mostly used as a commuter line for folks living in the Eastern suburbs - and as such it is super-convenient compared to the means of transport that were available the years before the Airport Lines opened.

Thanks for all the info!

So taking a taxi:

not anymore, at the departure level you cannot go to the taxi lane. You need to go down to the lowest level and take taxi there. They just introduced new cueing system. I agree with previous comments, better take taxi especially during weekends it is easier and faster than airport link / BTS.

You can still get from departures just walk out and taxis arriving will willingly take you ,They push open the barrier to get your stuff to the taxi!

• Like 1

2pm on a Sunday is should be ok. I wouldn't do it during rush hour.

I think all stations have escalators and lifts, they are just sometimes hidden behind pillars or at the far end of a platform.

The connection to the BTS at Phay Thai is not too much hassle. The walk is a lot longer than it needs to be but still not very far.

Taking the ARL is certainly preferable to queuing up for taxi and throwing the dice to see if you get a lunatic.

Is this a troll? Seriously why would anyone want to catch public transport, struggle with luggage and baby on the train and carry it all up and down steps. AND pay more for the hassle.

After arrival some weeks ago, we were stuck in the traffic in a taxi going to Sukhumvit FOR TWO HOURS, after a 7 hrs flight. THAT'S WHEN I HAD A CRYING BABY AND A PISSED WIFE.

I want a fast AND reliable AND secure transport. Especially I see it as a test ride for our early morning return to the airport, when I don't want to take any chances being late for check-in due to traffic.

For all that I am willibg to haul them suitcases up and down staircases in the heat.

And how are two ARL tickets the same price as a taxi?

Dear ocejanic, you posted on a week-end suggesting you would arrive on sat or sun. You got good advice from fellow members. It appears we all wasted our time..on a week-end with lugagge I would still advice taxi, even when you have to wait, taxi will be faster ( during weekend) You mind the small difference in price? Train plus BTS will be 90thb per person. Of course you travel as you want, but why asking if you already decided?

The Airport link train which has 4 carriages, is out of service, all passengers are cramming on to the 3 carriage Citilink line. I gave up after 3 trains arrived at Hua Mark jam packed with 100s of would be passengers waiting to get on. Forget the Airport link, it is a disaster run by SRT in total chaos.

Dear ocejanic, you posted on a week-end suggesting you would arrive on sat or sun. You got good advice from fellow members. It appears we all wasted our time..on a week-end with lugagge I would still advice taxi, even when you have to wait, taxi will be faster ( during weekend) You mind the small difference in price? Train plus BTS will be 90thb per person. Of course you travel as you want, but why asking if you already decided?

I have not decided yet. There are opinions in this thread favouring both options.

The Airport link train which has 4 carriages, is out of service, all passengers are cramming on to the 3 carriage Citilink line. I gave up after 3 trains arrived at Hua Mark jam packed with 100s of would be passengers waiting to get on. Forget the Airport link, it is a disaster run by SRT in total chaos.

when you enter train at Suvarnabhumi airport it is empty because this is start point ok? I take this train every week, always exactly on time.

My advice would be take a taxi from departures too. No problem. Taxis wait there for return fares. Most will use the meter but some may quote 300 baht. I always take the expressway to Sukhumvit and that's another 75 baht. Up to you though. Traffic will always be bad morning and afternoon peak and at end of month on pay day. Beware.

A key factor is involving just where exactly you are heading. I still do not know what 'downtown' means in Bangkok, I have yet to find such a place in the city. How close is your hotel to a BTS station, and which station is it? I have intentionally booked hotels that are a short walk away from stops on the Airport Line, which worked out very well for my early morning return to the airport. I have also booked hotels on the river that are very inconvenient to reach from the train, justifying a taxi. It is also possible to take the train into town, and then grab a taxi from the final station on the airport line, which would save some money and bypass some of the traffic. Personally, I am a big advocate of public transit, which even works fairly well in BKK (despite the endless complaining and whining of some of the TV doomsayers), especially as compared to the hellish traffic and inconsistent taxis. But I do not ever travel with a baby, which can make any option into a nightmare. If you are traveling with more than you can physically carry, best to stay with a taxi. Otherwise, the train is a great option. Good luck.