Bangkok: Sea water is threatening the source of tap water

webfact

Sea water is threatening the source of tap water

12-1-2558-11-29-54-wpcf_723x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkokians may have to consume brackish water in February and March unless the government takes action immediately to address the problem by ordering more water to be discharged from the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams to push back the invasion of seawater into the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

Mr Royal Chitradon, director of Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute, said that the problem of the invasion of sea water would be much worse this dry season than last year especially in February and March when the situation is expected to be critical.

He said that the seawater would invade deeper inland through the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers into the source of tap water which will turn the water into brackish water into.

As a prevention, he pointed out that it was necessary for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to invoke the special powers to order the Irrigation Department to discharge more water out of Bhumibol and Sirikit dams to drive back the seawater.

In the meantime, Mr Royal said that farmers must be told not to draw water from the Chao Phraya river or its connected irrigation canals to feed their second rice crops.

Farmers were earlier told not to plant the second rice crop because there will not be enough water but many farmers ignored the warning because they will not have any income if they have not planted the second rice crop.

Water discharged from the two dams has so far failed to stop the intrusion of sea water because a substantial volume of water was drawn from Chao Phra river by rice farmers for their second crop.

Mr Royal disclosed that the salt content in the water in Tha Chin river was last week measured at 11 grammes per litre which are beyond safety level for plants.

Plants will start dying if the salt content in the water is beyond two grammes/litre. Also, human beings who are over 60 and with heart, kidney or blood pressure problem will be at risk if they consume brackish water with salt content beyond 2 grammes/litre.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sea-water-threatening-source-tap-water

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-12

BANGKOK: Bangkokians will have to consume brackish water in February and March because all former governments did ignore the problem of the invasion of seawater into the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-01-12

This is how it should read like.

But "Environment" is an unknown word for most Thais ... and thus for most government members.

• Like 2

The source of Bangkoks drinking water is drawn from the river..... seriously?

errr Kidding right, then where does the locations uphill from BKK (everywhere mostly) get their water from?

w00t.gif

What goes up must come down, right?

The water tasted weirdly salty when this happened last year. Then I read in the newspaper about the sea water getting into the water supply and realized why. I could certainly do without a repeat of that. It's tolerable, but it's pretty unpleasant to drink.

Normal filters won't get the salt taste out, the filter has to be capable of desalination.

Farmers were earlier told not to plant the second rice crop because there will not be enough water but many farmers ignored the warning because they will not have any income if they have not planted the second rice crop.

In other words, farmers were asked to suffer and forego any income for the sake of the rest of Bangkok however the government was not willing to provide alternate income support for the poor farmers. Sounds like a real fair request if you ask me, NOT! If the government really wanted this to work then they should have provided some short term subsidies to make the request a practical solution and not just normal Thai lip service.

With the price offered for rice these days i would have thought that the farmers could actually save money by not planting, in Isaan the farmers are being offered between 6 to 7 Baht a kilo for hom mali rice

• Like 2

The water tasted weirdly salty when this happened last year. Then I read in the newspaper about the sea water getting into the water supply and realized why. I could certainly do without a repeat of that. It's tolerable, but it's pretty unpleasant to drink.

Normal filters won't get the salt taste out, the filter has to be capable of desalination.

You drink tap water in Thailand ?

• Like 1

The water will taste salty even if you use a filter, unless your have a filter capable of desalination (not likely).

But yes, I drink the water straight out of the tap. As far as microbes go, it is fine. At least in Bangkok, anyway. I drink it all over the city, so it's not just my area. I never got sick, not even once (I don't have a super intestine). I think we have prejudices about alot of things, and one of those believes is about the filth of the water here.

I can't say anything about other additives in the tap water such as BPs, etc., but you won't get any digestive problems from drinking the water, even if the salt water gets into the system again as the OP describes (but it will taste unpleasant).

Firsthand proof that the water won't make your poop soupy:

• Like 1

A lot of countries have this problem, where I lived in the states there were salt water barriers in place to stop the incursion of salt water and allow excessive rain water/flood waters out. Storm tides on the Gulf would still prevent the flood waters from flowing out until the tide receeded. Barriers are not simple, but they aren't all that complicated. Port Arthur, Texass had to have pumps to push the flood waters out. Some of that area was actually below sea level. Yes, people lived there. The Drainage Dist. I surveyed for, next to Port Arthur's, was able to use gravity. At least Thailand doesn't have to worry about 25 foot storm surge like we had during Hurricane Ike. Barriers shoulda', coulda' been done long ago.

timmyp, on 12 Jan 2015 - 16:42, said:

You "actually" drink the tap water, don't be so tight, pay your 12baht and buy a 20 liter/litre bottle.

BANGKOK: Bangkokians will have to consume brackish water in February and March because all former governments did ignore the problem of the invasion of seawater into the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-01-12

This is how it should read like.

But "Environment" is an unknown word for most Thais ... and thus for most government members.

Instead of the standard Thai-bashing we should applaud, that they recognize the problem and intend to do something about it before it is too late!!

It is indeed a very serious problem with dire consequences, if not addressed in time!!

It is too little, too late already mate!

• Like 1

You "actually" drink the tap water, don't be so tight, pay your 12baht and buy a 20 liter/litre bottle.

It's not cuz I can't afford it, Rorri.

I run it through a filter (buy them in home pro ect) and then drink it. It would certainly inconvenience me and many people from BKK. I don't see why farmers should be able to take all the water. Just let them use as much water as someone from BKK would use, fair is fair. That is probably not as much as they normally use but I don't see why they should have more rights to natural resources as other people.

It's not cuz I can't afford it, Rorri.

Nothing to do with tight.. its much more convinient to have your own filter and so have water to drink from the tab. At the prices that i pay for the filter it might be cheaper to buy in the shop. But this way you always got water available and that is worth something.

I run it through a filter (buy them in home pro ect) and then drink it. It would certainly inconvenience me and many people from BKK. I don't see why farmers should be able to take all the water. Just let them use as much water as someone from BKK would use, fair is fair. That is probably not as much as they normally use but I don't see why they should have more rights to natural resources as other people.

So farmers only get water to drink/shower just like anybody in Bangkok does?

Why do you think they are farmers?

are you brain dead ? why are you cooking with or drinking Bangkok water? must be a thrill seeker.

• Like 1

are you brain dead ? why are you cooking with or drinking Bangkok water? must be a thrill seeker.

I understand that you have beliefs about how awful the water is. But go ahead an believe what people tell you, no need investigate it yourself.

Drinking it really isn't that thrilling. I'm surprised that it creates such a reaction in people. I'm sorry if I shook up your paradigm of what people are supposed to do.

• Like 2

In other words, farmers were asked to suffer and forego any income for the sake of the rest of Bangkok however the government was not willing to provide alternate income support for the poor farmers. Sounds like a real fair request if you ask me, NOT! If the government really wanted this to work then they should have provided some short term subsidies to make the request a practical solution and not just normal Thai lip service.

and their second rice crop dying off or stunted due to salt contamination will be a better solution?