Tanasak meets German envoy to discuss election system

webfact

Tanasak meets German envoy to discuss election system
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Tanasak Patimapragorn met German Ambassador Rolf Schulze yesterday to learn about the mixed proportional election system that Thailand wants to adopt.

Schulze told the minister that Germany was ready to support political reform in Thailand and would share its knowledge on handling elections with the Election Commission (EC), an official at the ministry said.

The two also discussed economic matters and the ambassador said Germany was interested in joining infrastructure development projects in Thailand, notably railways and alternative energy. The official quoted the envoy as saying that his country saw the potential for Thailand to be a regional hub for trade and investment.

Meanwhile, EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said the commission would invite Schulze to deliver a lecture today on the German system to help commissioners prepare for the next election.

The National Reform Council and the Constitution Drafting Committee are discussing election methods and considering the German proportional system.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Tanasak-meets-German-envoy-to-discuss-election-sys-30251931.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-15

• Like 1

Well one doesn't want to be wise after the event but you would have thought that all this would have been sorted ages back , just goes to show that the little cocoon that Thailand has woven is not necessary the worldly one , one hopes that Khun Tanasak learns something, he should also talk to the US ,UK ,OZ and anybody else that has good government and see if Thailand can come up with a good working model, the envy of the world one can only dream of. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

All other factors notwithstanding, to even let a foriegner address them is commendable. All the comments here actually make good points, even if snarky ones, and I have to wonder what will come of all of this?

I will either keep my eyes wide open and my fingers crossed, or cross my eyes and hold both hands open....whichever whim strikes me in the aftermath.

I'm sure Tanasak has a lot of questions for Ambassador Schulze concerning Germany's electoral system:

What are the provisions for appointing an unelected chancelor?

How does the MMP system prevent political party conflicts?

What are the provisions for the military overthrow of the elected government in case of "national security"?

Who is the King of Germany?

How do you assure that only the "right" Germans vote?

How do you force the electorate to accept unconstitutional changes to the constitution?

Seriously, since Thailand has a constitutional monarchy, why isn't it talking to one of the oldest constitutional monarchies in the world: Great Britain. GB has never been conquered nor colonized. GB government has a lot of similarities to Thailand. For example, GB uses common law, has an appointed House of Lords, has an elected House of Commons, the Queen is Head of State, the PM is Head of Government. And even better than Thailand, GB has no constitution! That feature alone would save a lot of anguish for the NRC/NLA/NCPO over concerns about a public mandate.

I'm sure Tanasak has a lot of questions for Ambassador Schulze concerning Germany's electoral system:

What are the provisions for appointing an unelected chancelor?

How does the MMP system prevent political party conflicts?

What are the provisions for the military overthrow of the elected government in case of "national security"?

Who is the King of Germany?

How do you assure that only the "right" Germans vote?

How do you force the electorate to accept unconstitutional changes to the constitution?

Seriously, since Thailand has a constitutional monarchy, why isn't it talking to one of the oldest constitutional monarchies in the world: Great Britain. GB has never been conquered nor colonized. GB government has a lot of similarities to Thailand. For example, GB uses common law, has an appointed House of Lords, has an elected House of Commons, the Queen is Head of State, the PM is Head of Government. And even better than Thailand, GB has no constitution! That feature alone would save a lot of anguish for the NRC/NLA/NCPO over concerns about a public mandate.

No constitution? Tjeez, those poor bastards. And they call themselves a democracy?

• Like 1